1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Plow Rubber Adjustment Pad.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mark13, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I put a new A frame and center pivot pin on my 9.2 Poly V and I've got it almost all back together but I'm having trouble with the rubber pad on the A frame. The new A frame had a hole drilled already like my old one, however it was a smaller hole. After drilling it larger, tapping it for a bolt, and getting the pad bolted on I came upon a problem. With the pad in place the center of the plow sits off the ground a good 3/4" or more. With the pad taken off the A frame directly touches the center section of the plow and the blade sits nice and level on the ground. Did boss change something or can I not put things back together right?

Rubber pad in place:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rubber pad taken out:
    [​IMG]

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Any one have any ideas?

3. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Are the used cutting edges worn evenly?

4. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

From the picture you have everything installed properly, but the rubber pad (bumper stop) is moved all the way out towards the truck. This is why you have a gap at the center of the cutting edge.

To correct this, mount the plow to your truck. Then take the tension off the four trip springs and loosen the bolt in the bumper stop. Raise the plow just enough so that the center section is no longer resting on the bumper stop. Then move the bumper stop forward into the plow. This will lower the center of the cutting edges. Adjust until the cutting edges sit flat, then re tighten the bolt and the four trip springs.

If you have any additional questions, you can reach THE BOSS service team at 800-286-4155 ext. 2.

Thank you!

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'll try sliding the rubber pad in towards the plow more. Apparently doing so never crossed my mind the other day. I was thinking to hard about it and thought if I pushed the pad towards the plow it would make things worse, not reverse the effect having it all the way out made.

Is there a trick to know when the trip springs have the right tension on them or is it all by feel?

6. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Not a boss user, but I think it's tighten them just until you can fit a dollar bill in between the coils of the spring.

7. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

Khowie644 is correct. We typically recommend to tighten them to the point that you can fit a business card in between but a dollar works as well! :)

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for the help. I knew the business card trick from my old unimount I just wanted to make sure boss recommended doing it the same way before I went crazy and over tightened something.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Well still no luck. I adjusted the rubber pad all the way forward and it didn't work out.

These pics are with the rubber pad adjusted all the way forward and the truck and blade on level ground.

Angled right
    [​IMG]

Angled left.
    [​IMG]

Scoop. Center is off the ground 1/4-1/2"
    [​IMG]

V, both wings look like this.
    [​IMG]

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The pins on the plow/truck mount are at 15"
    [​IMG]

11. djagusch

from mn

The angle right pic looks like half the gap is the cutting edge worn unevenly.

Was the a frame twisted and reason for replacement?

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The cutting edges aren't worn perfect, they are worn more toward the passengers side from plowing roads.

The A frame was just bent from years of use and hitting things. At some point last season I hit something that made the A frame go from slightly tweaked and the edges sitting weird to being very out of whack and nothing sat right.

13. djagusch

from mn

The scoop pic just seems like the edges are not lined up right. Just seems like the tweak from before makes them not line up. The blade halves themselve could have a slight tweak also.

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm sure the whole blade is tweaked multiple different ways. It's been a front line plow for 10yrs.

With the rubber pad completely removed it sits almost perfect in all positions. In scoop the center is off the ground ever so slightly otherwise everything else is good.

I also think the gap between the edges in the center is larger then it probably should be.

15. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

Currently the bumper stops are all the way out which raises the center of the plow off the ground. If you adjust the rubber pad forward towards the plow this will lower the center of the plow.

16. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Mark, it looks from your last pic like the a frame is not parallel to the ground (truck too high). I would think if that were the case, it would cause all of your contact symptoms. Do you run different tires in the winter that would lower it?

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I pushed the pad all the way in (2nd set of pictures from the other day) and it didn't really resolve the problem at all. It was better then with the pad all the way back towards the truck but still far from good.

The 2nd set of photos from the other day is with my winter wheels and tires on.

18. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Double check the a frame is parallel to the ground, could be it needs an adjustment on the truck side, if the old parts were always a little bent or something. Removing that rubber bump stop changes the angle from a frame to plow blade, compensating for the a frame being tilted downward.

19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'll see about lowering my truck mount one set of holes tomorrow. It's about the only thing it could be at this point I think. Sure the plow isn't 100% square like it was when new but it can't be so far out of whack that it's always going to sit that bad.

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You said the plow itself is probably tweaked years of use and if your push beam is at 15.5" as you say and you can't get enough adjustment out of the rubber pad I'd look at the truck mount. Looking at the picture of the truck mount it looks like it's not running close to being perpendicular to the ground, could be the angle of the picture too. Do you carry a spreader or ballast when you plow, if so do you have the weight in the bed while you’re fine tuning? Or you could have pushed the mount back over the years of use. Just a few degrees off of being off perpendicular trigs out to be a quite a bit and the hinge pin.
    Just a thought…..