1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Plow Removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kraco_1, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 Member

I have a new Western V-plow that I'll have to remove soon :( , My question is, is it better to leave the blade strait or in the scoupe position so that you can work behind the blade a little better? Or is this a problem with balance?

Thank's...Kraco_1

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Kraco, a tech at my local Fisher dealer told me to store the plow in the > position so that most of the fluid drains back into the reservoir letting you drain more of the fluid for the summer. It also protects the angle pistons from the weather.

3. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

In a previous post I believe it was Geoff posted about not changing the fluid until fall so as not to build up condensation in the reservoir and fluid. I would think the same might happen if you drained it down for the summer?

Any comments if I have erred would be a help as I'm getting ready for the spring myself.

Bruce

4. Matt

Matt Member

We store our V's in the v position, during the summer. When we remove them between plowings we put them in the straight position. We change the fluid in the spring when we are done plowing, presure wash the plow good, check every bolt and weld for wear and repair as necessary and then give it a coating of wd40. When we get them out in the fall we again change the fluid and check the entire plow for lose bolts and cracked welds that may have been overlooked in the spring. We figure that for the cost of hydraulic fluid that we don't want condensation sitting in the resevoir and the rest of the system all summer.

5. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 Member

Ok thanks for the help everyone. With a little luck I won't have to remove it for a long time! (more snow) :)

Kraco_1

6. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Matt

Sounds like a good plan of attack.

Bruce