1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v plow question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lavelle_04, Feb 9, 2004.

1. lavelle_04

lavelle_04 Junior Member

does anyone make a v plow for a 1/2 ton truck?
    thanks

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

BOSS 7'6" V

Though I've seen 8'2" BOSS V's on 1/2 tons and LD 3/4's

3. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

Yeah, I saw a 8'2" Boss Poly-V on a F150 4X4. The trucks backend was sticking up in the air so high and the front was scrapping the pavement (looked like). I would say it was at a 30-35 degree angle up (from the hood to the tailgate). It was a Kodak moment and I didn't have one with me:(

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

unless they came out with a lighter weight v-plow i would not put one on a 1/2 ton:nono:

5. sgrprincees

sgrprincees Junior Member

Guy I plow for has a previous body style Chevy 1500 with a 8'2" Boss Poly-V. It seems to do ok, but I thought that about his '85 k-10 that rides on its bumpstops with the plow up. Being in the Midwest, we never really get heavy snows either.

6. Believe it or not, I saw a V on an older square front style Ford Ranger just last week! I have no idea what brand it was, it was red. It must have been fairly small because it looked like it fit the truck. (not too big) I couldn't get a good look at it, it was gone as quick as it appeared, but I've never seen such a cute little V before.

7. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Boss used to make a 6'6" V-plow years ago. If your truck's front axle is IFS, you could put a v-plow on it, but you'll have to plow everywhere you go because you won't be able to lift the plow off the ground. If your truck has a solid front axle, you MIGHT be alright, but I can guarantee you that you'll be redoing your ball joints shortly after installing the plow and carrying it around a bit. :waving:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  8. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

beef up the leaf springs and put coil absorbers in, they do work well but your truck is still gonna take too much abuse!

9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

The Boss 7.6 V plow will fit but your truck will definitely need some timbrens on it.:nod:

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i would not do that then again 7.5 plow size is what most guys use on a 1/2 ton

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Some of you guys really under estimate the 1/2 ton trucks.

The original question was "does anyone make a v plow for a 1/2 ton truck?"

Well my answer is YES, BOSS makes a 7'6" V-Plow for 1/2 ton trucks.

If I had a 1/2 ton Chevy and was looking for a V-Plow, would I get this plow?........ NO!!!

I'd go right up to the 8'2" and plow away for MANY years.

12. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

You know, boss makes a 10’ v-plow. :rolleyes:

13. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

That 10' v plow is huge. Sure would like one too. :D :D

14. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Its interesting how the poly v's are heavier then the steel ones, you'd think that poly material would be lighter. You guys that have V-plows, how often do you use the straight position?

15. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

I have a fisher V-plow, i use it in the straight angled position fairly often on long roadways, saves my tranny, at least i think. still, the scoop position cuts time - big time!!!

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, I believe that we all know this, but.....

What does that have to do with the original question?

The 7'6", 8'2", and 9'2" are all "capable" of being fitted on said truck, the 10' isn't even offered for said chassis.

With each of the 7-8-9'ers being only ~70 lbs heavier than each other, the 10' jumps to 322 MORE lbs than the 9'2" V!!!

17. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

So you think too much weight on the front end might be a problem for a 1/2-ton pickup?

18. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

way to much weight. I get the chills just thinking about putting a regular plow on a 1/2 ton. The axel just is not strong enough. What good would it do any way. The truck is too light you would not have enough traction or power to run the plow in the scoop postion which is the biggest advatage of the v blade.

19. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry elite1, I have to disagree with ALL of your statements above.

20. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Ballast, Ballast, Ballast...Timbrens, Timbrens, Timbrens