1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V plow question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tattood_1, Jan 4, 2011.

1. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

I have a chance to get a Uni-Mount MVP at a good price. The guy wants my straight blade and a little cash. My question is, should there be anything I should be aware of going from a straight to a V? I have heard a lot of good things about V plows, but not much bad. I am happy with my straight, so I don't want to get rid of it and regret it. Thanks for the help in advance.
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

The first time you have it in V mode to knock down a 3' berm,you will say to yourself ''how did I ever manage without one?'' All good.
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

also scoop mode is nice.

i have run both and have mixed feelings. if big lots straight blade. for clean up and small stuff v blade ..

now the i think the best is the western wideout / fisher xls / blizzerd speedwing or powerflow. small 8ft blade for tight places. big 10 ft blade for big lots. and wings kick in for scoop and windrowin faster.
  4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Increased Production For One.......Thumbs Up
  5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

and new wiring harrness or swap his.

you can go v plow to straight with adaptor . but to go straight up to v there isnt the right # of wires if i recall correctly.
  6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

You'll NEVER regret a V plow. Best thing since sliced bread
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

once you have a V...you will never go back to straight
  8. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

Yeah, the wiring I know about. I have a budy that is a Western dealer. He said I'll to change pretty much everything but my mount. Just figured I'd ask first, instead of regretting later. Thanks guys.
  9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Do et.....
  10. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

I would rather run a straight with wings over a v-plow without. Although a v-plow with wings is the best of both worlds! The V is great for breaking through snow the city has left or a big drift, we use ours on some 8' wide sidwalks from time to time, I've never been a fan of how a V wind rows though.
  11. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Is it on your truck yet??
  12. 01lariat

01lariat Member

My first season with a MVP. Pretty happy with it. Saves a ton of time.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

I love my western vee blades i have several.The older style you are buying tends to wear the cutting edegs unevenly .It's not a problem that design flaw was fixed on the later plows.Make sure you grease the 12 pin plug.That will save you from replacing it sooner.Also when you go to hook it up and something is not woking right.keep it simple unplug and replug the 12 pin plug.they get a little funning after a few years..Oh change the fliud once a year.I still use tranny fliud it's cheap and works just fine..It's a good buy.I would not want a straigt blade for free...
  14. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i just went from a unimount 7.5' with wings. to an ultramount MVP plus. and im not looking back. best decision i ever made. ive used V plows in the past and there is nothing better especially when you put a set of wings on them