1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V plow Problems?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by rock&snow, Jan 17, 2006.

1. rock&snow

rock&snow Junior Member

I currently have a 8' western pro plow and am looking at getting westerns v plow, but am wondering if people seem to have a lot of problems with them. I have noticed that the boss v plow seems to have a lot. Any input would be great. payup

2. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

I purchased a Western MVP this year. I did a lot of research on this site and with dealers. There are a few more operating parts on a V but most of what I found in terms of problems are the same as a straight blade (connections, controller, abuse, etc).

I noticed you're from Hudson, I'm in Somerset, the dealer I purchased from is in Star Praire and sells Boss and Western. He sells Boss V's over Western 3 to 1. when I asked why, the answer was that Boss has invested in a lot of marketing in this area and pretty much dominates.

Although I'm insured to plow commercially, I plow a few long driveways and a couple small lots for friends. The V decision was easy after reading on this site. We haven't had a snow around here that required a V to break through in some time. The scoop is the reason to get a V.

Western or Boss? You could start a war on this thread over that. I started off looking to buy a Fisher as I really liked the trip edge on my straight blade. I couldn't find a Fisher dealer close. I listened to the pro's on this site and went to a close dealer with a good service reputation. I was lucky as that dealer sold both Boss and Western. Since I do a large percentage of my plowing in the scoop position I wanted the ability to have a functional trip the Western was a pretty easy decision.
  3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I've got a Fisher 8 1/2 V plow for three years now and it has been problem free. Western and Fisher a virtually the same (even owned by the same parent company). Great plow I highly recommend it. I would have prefered a Western (strickly because of color) but the dealer near me doesn't impress me where as the Fisher dealer is HUGE and very helpful.
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Western and fisher make good V blades. Especially better suited to higher speed comercial than the boss. Boss would be OK IMO if your going slow but I hate the full trip design on a V blade(trip edge on a V is much better IMO) The blade portion of the boss is fine and it has very quick hydrolics its just the tripping issue seems to be tough on the rest of the blade.
  5. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

MPV Plows

I'M A Western Man...I looked at the Bosses...Did not like the single hose cylinders...also i like the trip edge on the Western MPV.
    I works great for me ...Fast...sometimes too fast...still trying to get use to the controls
    The only small thing i see that i dont like about this MPV is the skid shoe ridee hight...I have all the washers in and the cutting edge is still on the ground Hmmmmmmm... i know how to fix it being a welder since god was a cowboy,,IMO Theey should have made the shoes stems longer ...there fore you could put a few more washers in
    ALL in All ... buy one...It will make your work so much easier.
    Let errrrrrr snowwwwwwww:rolleyes:
  6. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I have a 9.5' Western V that I purchased in Jan '04 and it's mounted on an '02 F450 Crew Dually. What sold me on the plow was the Ultra Mount. I can have in on in about a minute. No kidding. Second, the V cuts my plow time, considerably. I have not had one problem with the plow and would highly recommend it. I did purchase the new controller that just came out this year and makes it a lot easier to maneuver the plow. Instead of a series of buttons to Vee or Scoop, they added a individual buttons for those actions. Much easier to use! Hope that helps. Good luck in your purchase.
  7. ohioplowboy

ohioplowboy Junior Member

we have been running 6 vee plows at work for about 3 years now and have not had a single problem out of them (knock on wood). we did have a boss a few years ago and sold it after the first time it was used because of the way it trips it broke a scraper blade the first use
  8. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

9. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I had an 8' Fisher last year and this year i'm using the 8.5 MVP. I love the Western. With the last storm we had I never knew there where so many plowers and I saw a bunch of them looking at how my V plow worked compared to there straight blades. I looked into the Boss V and did research here and found the Western to be my choice. Before I choose the MVP I changed my mind about 3-4 times. Some here might remember....LoL I am very happy with the MVP but there is one thing that bugs me on the handheld controller. The buttons are a bit close and when you have the blade straight and your going left to right while plowing I seem to hit the wing buttons and the blade sometimes starts to V a little. I then have to stop and re-straighten the blade.