1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V plow or wing out plow???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Jewell1386, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

I have recently purchased a new to me truck. 03 f350 crew cab short bed and not sure what I want on it. It will be my truck not one of the fleet trucks I have owned and used both just looking for some advice. Weight is not a worry it will have an upgraded set of leafs by next weekend. Share your thought gooooo!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Can't go wrong with a wing plow

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Can't go wrong with a Vee plow

4. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

I've had both and I do like the V better, but thats just me. Good luck

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Wing plow with a direct lift. :)

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Honestly it's going to depend on what your going to be doing. Either type are heads and tails above a straight blade. So many thoughts here,lol and this is just speaking for Fisher plows.

V blade pros:
    Versatile if or when you need to open up a bad area.
    New flared V's will run wind rows better in larger lots
    Less moving parts on a V than expandable plows
    Cons:
    you need to add expensive wings to make up the difference in length to match an 8-10 plow
    can't suck in the plow for transport, the V blades with wings tend to bottom out and hit at the blade ends (at least around here where the roads aren't so nice) causing a lot of wear and tare on the truck and blade.

Expandable pros:
    Able to go 10ft wide
    Less trail off when wind rowing (at least from what I've seen)
    Able to go around corners while in scoop
    Can be sucked back for transport

Cons:
    More moving parts
    Harder time busting through big drifts

My next plow is going to be an XLS. I'd love to put a 9ft XV2 with wings on a truck making it 11ft long but trying to get that around town could cause problems.

Hope this helped and these are just my thoughts and experiences.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you're opening drifted driveways all night, wing plow is the most efficient plow on the market.

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

What are you basing this off of, a YouTube video.......
    Flared V plows with wings can carry more snow than a expandable plow. This reason is there's more square inches of pushing surface and the angle of the wings when the plow is in scoop position reduce trail off when relocating snow.
    Do the math.Thumbs Up

9. Mark Oomkes

Well crap, I need to buy a bunch of new plows then.

10. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Both plows are great. It just depends on what your application is going to be. For me, a V works best, for others maybe not. Personal decision that you're going to have to make depending on what and where you're going to be plowing.

11. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Speaking from experience. I like the wing plow better.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Since I have both in one unit, mine must be doubly efficient

13. Mark Oomkes

When I grow up I want to be just like you.

14. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I'm in the same boat, got a new truck and not sure what blade to go with. We have both, exp wing and Vee and I like them both as long as the Vee has wings on it.

15. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

Well Put!!! that is it in a nut shell.

16. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

I have a few things I have noticed also. My ability stack of much greater with a v plus it fits through the drive through lanes at the bank better. I like putting money in the bank! I have thought about the wings on the v just never heard much about them. Anyone have them and want to share there thoughts?

17. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I have the western wings on my MVP and love them. I would say they increase my productivity by 25% or more, not only in just width but also in volume while in scoop and stacking. Its funny we have both types of plows, my son runs a 8611 blizzard and I run a V and we have never really traded to try and compare the 2. Maybe now that he traded off his Ford and got a GMC I will.

18. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

I had me one of them Chevy duramax's and wasn't that impressed. It had plenty of power for the plow it didn't like the salt or my 20ft car hauler with mowing equipment

19. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

:confused::confused::confused:

20. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

My f250 with the 6.0 seems to handle the weight better more stability when hauling.