1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Plow or Straight? Boss, Fisher, Meyer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cfdff85, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

Hey Everyone I’m new to this site and this is my first Post.
    I have been wondering if you experienced snow plowers prefer V plows or straight blades which one? why or why not? What brands do you recommend?
    I was thinking on the 8'2" Poly Boss Power V. Since buying a plow is costly I would like to purchase the correct one the first time out, and any tips on plowing is greatly appreciated.
    :waving:
    Thanks
    Joe

2. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

Welcome to the site. I really like my 7 1/2 super duty Boss. I can't speak for the V plows however, there are many different members on this site that can. Breck :waving:

3. chuckers

chuckers Member

what kind of truck are you mounting to?

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Depending on what type of truck you plan on putting a plow on, I would go with the 8.2 or 9.2 Boss V.

5. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I have a lot of long runs and deep windrows usually so i prefer the straight blade -full trip although there are plenty of times I wish I had a vplow,if only they made one in a 12' length for my big truck.

6. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you could use a Blizzard 810 or a Blizzard 8611 for your big truck.

7. tmltrans

tmltrans Member

V plow

The plows you are looking at are all quality products. Get the right size for your truck, V plows are heavy, and go with a dealer that is near you and is familiar with the model you select.

8. DJC

DJC Senior Member

GO GO GO BLIZZARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I like the way the western and fisher plows trip. I dont like the way the boss trips or sometimes dosnt :angry: Ever been in a F550 when it comes to a dead stop? It sucks. The fisher/western tend to jump staright up in the air when they trip if you whack something hard and the first time you will think its trying to send itself into orbit but its not very violent and atleast it trips every time. The boss controler kicks the ever living crap outa the fisher/western. But the non mode button fisher/western contorler is usable. The fisher/western controer with the dreaded "mode" button is the biggest PITA know to man. Boss is faster than fisher/western. If you are an aggressive plower then IMO run a fisher or a western just for the tripping. If you do resi or dont get trucking very fast or tripping isnt as big of a deal for you then I would actually consider a Boss V. Notice how I didnt mention meyers? ;)

Blizzard is another option.

THERE IS NO RIGHT PLOW!!!! It depends what you are doing ect. There is no right tool for every job. tell us your truck specs and what you plan to do ect. and we will give you some more pointers directly relating to what you plan to do.

10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

V vs. Straight, depends on what you are going to plow.
    Don't get a Meyer.

11. ratlover

from IL

oh.....all my comments were in regards to V blades

ditto to cja

12. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bolts Indus.Sounds like you could use a Blizzard 810 or a Blizza

36000 gvw. truck and have a 12ft flink on it now so I don't think
    I could get a bigger ,road legal plow.

file002MA10311252-0004.jpg

13. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

Thank You Everyone you all gave me something to consider during my purchase. For those of you that were wondering I have a 2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed and the Duramax diesel. I am mostly considering the purchase of a 8'.2" power v plow from BOSS.
    Does anyone have any comments to say in regards to why the BOSS power V isn't the best choice in V plows for me?
    Thank You
    Joe
    ~Very happy I found this site its awesome~

14. Bolts Indus.

Too narrow for a crew cab. Your rear wheels will be driving through the snow on turns and you will be caving in rear panels on snow banks. Get a Blizzard 810 and utilize the full capacity of that truck. I run a crew.

15. jiriki87

jiriki87 Member

Boss 8.2 or 9.2 is the only way in my opinion. Boss is very quick, easy to get on /off. The hydralics are stron enough that if your stuck and need that extra nudge to get out you can wing the plow to one side or another- - -saved me numerous times. Western toooooooooo slow, controlers are back assed. Blizzard= CRAP- -I have the 810SS on my CAt 262 and I have fixed the stupid plow so many times, way too many electronics. The welds have cracked. Just my 2 cents worth.

Peter

16. Bolts Indus.

17. ratlover

from IL

ummmmmm.......like I said what are you going to plow? Boss tripping can suck. Thats why I bought a fisher for my new 2500HD and why my dad bought a western V for his new 550. The boss is nice in other respects but its mounting system can be a PITA compared to fishers and westerns or has been on the 2000 10' boss v. They also seem to like to eat center hoofs depending. If your plow speed is very fast I would shy away from them. If you are doing resi stuff then the tripping could be delt with I suppose. JMO

18. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

When it comes to the Boss V's, opinions vary. :rolleyes: You've got the guys who prefer their own brand putting them down and the guys who love them saying they'll use nothing else. I personally don't own a V yet but I've ran them numerous times with NO problems. The hydraulics are very quick and the mounting/unmounting system is imo the easiest out there. Around this area, there's beginning to be more V's than straights almost. Good luck on your decision. Different strokes for different folks.

19. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

He has the 2500 not the 3500.....srw.

20. Bolts Indus.

2500 -3500 does not matter. It is a crew cab which is a long wheel base and the 8'2" v plow is too narrow. The only plow that will work properly on a crew is the Blizzard 810. The 9' plus v will work when it is straight but not in the scoop mode, like the Blizzard 810. Just trying to save him his money and some grief.