1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-plow or straight blade?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TreffertLawnWrx, Jun 25, 2003.

1. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

It has come to that time to by a new 3/4 ton and i am not sure which blade to put on. I have subbed my plowing out the prevoius two years but this year i want to do all of it my self. i do have experience with both set ups. I have about 25 drives 1 big parking lot and about 4 apt complexes. would it be best just to get a boss v (most accessable dealer) or is it going to be more of a hassle than with a nice straight set-up. the guys i had plow had straight blades but if im giong all out i would rather be flexible for growth and expansion. thanks for the replies.
  2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Sounds to me like you have your answer already, V plow all the way! :drinkup: I dont have one myself, but the guys here who do have them, swear by them and have pretty much nothing but good things to say about their performance. I think the V plow would suit your needs perfectly. Its definitely a time saver also. Hey, welcome to PlowSite. :waving: Mike
  3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I'll second that:D

If the funding allows get a V blade. Wish I would have.

Welcome to plowsite:waving:
    Mark K
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd prefer the Fisher -;) but you'll likely save a lot of time in those apartment complexes with the V if you have to push the snow to designated spots. Actually, my neighbor has a Boss V and he's real happy with it.

Did you get the townhouse you posted about?
  5. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I bought a new V - Blade this year, cut plowing time by 35% well worth the investment.

6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

get a v plow. there much better than a straight blade in your situation. just dont get a meyer v plow.:D Boss v plows are very strong and also look at Fisher v plows as well. good luck on your plow purchase :nod:
  7. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

A V blade will work as a straight blade... but a straight blade won't work as a V blade.

It's worth spending the money on the V. If you increase efficiency by 35%, in a four hour route you'll be able to add 1 more hour of business per trip out. What does that add up to?
  8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Western also puts out a V plow that you may be interested in taking a look at. When it comes to a V plow, your brand choices get narrowed down a little. Boss, Fisher, and Western are your only choices. Oh I heard Meyer makes a V plow too, but so far havent heard one person say something good about it. Oh, Blizzard makes a sweet set up too definitely worth taking a look at. Let us know what you decide to do. Mike
  9. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Apartment complex = V BLADE:gunsfiring:

A couple I do could not be done properly without one!! The only way you could do the ones I do with a straight blade would be to have a skidloader there also. I can charge the same and have less than half expenses!

10. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

if I understand it correctly the vplow doesn't save time on residential drives .
  11. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

BWhite - I don't know where you got that info but I do not believe that it is true. With past threads that I have seen, V plow can be time saver in residential too. Probably at a smaller margain than commercial, but still a time saver. I have some driveways that I think I could cut open with a single pass with plow in V position, thats all. With straight blade, I would have to make two passes; starting a pass pushing snow to one of the side, then backup, then make another pass, pushing snow on the other side. Also there are several times when I would have to push large trail of snow in the middle of driveway like 2 or 3 times with straight blade. But with V plow, it could take only a single pass with it in scoop position.

With the resource about V plows on Plowsite, I have learned alot about them, and it does seems to be a very beneficially investment. This is why I am going to purchase a Fisher V plow. :nod:
  12. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Rooster, Think you need to move up to the bigger plow for that stroker after the propane kit and other goodies your thinking of. Good to talk to you Monday. Jerre
  13. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

thanks alot for all the replies! v-plow it is. i think that i will take a look at the fisher and western just to make sure the boss is what i want. thanks again!
  14. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

If it were me, I would go with the Blizzard 8-10 - the best of both options - you have a straight blade if you want it, and a containment plow also. Oh, wait a minute, I AM going with that! :D We used the V-blade on our Bobcat quite a bit in residential driveways last season, and it worked great.
  15. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

v plow

I remember reading mostly pro v plow for lots and not as effective with drives oh well I am sure there has to be an advantage . I am not to crazy about the extra weight of these v plows . But then again if the dealer never saw what you were hanging on the front of your truck what could they say .Now maybe a v plow with my backplow or a blizzard
  16. Tim T.

Tim T. Junior Member

New truck, need blade.......

I just got a reg. cab 4x4 Dodge 3500 heavy duty dually with the HO diesel. Here in Colorado we've had some really heavy snows, and in the past I've been up to 4 days out on our 300ft gravel drive(thank God it's flat!)with the shovel and snow-thrower. I would like very much to make use of my new truck and all it's power, but don't know the first thing about plowing with a truck.....I'm old school, shovel or thrower....LOL! I would have to plow straight out and back up...is a "V" the best way to go? Should I load the bed with sand bags first(payload on the Dodge 3500 bed is 5,000LBS)? What about used or new? We don't get rocked by heavy snow very often, but when it hits, it's 4-5FT and wet. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  17. wxmn6

Will you be plowing your own driveway? If so, then a straight blade will work just fine. A V-plow would be an overkill and a waste of money. But if you are looking into snowplowing business, then V blade would be a good idea since you said you get alot of snow there.

By the way, welcome to Plowsite. :waving:
  18. Tim T.

Tim T. Junior Member

New truck, need blade.......

Yes, I will be plowing my own driveway, and possibly some other flat ground on our property(4x4 work.) The driveway is about 300ft long, and a full ten feet wide.....any further suggestions as to specific makes and blade sizes?
  19. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Tim, Where in Colorado?????

You will always do more than you say you will.... trust me.

If you keep on you own drive you will never have to use the v in the v position. I had friends who did this in the big march storm. Just kept driving up and down their driveway for a couple of days:D That was a rarity, but your truck should handle ANYTHING if you keep up with storm.

call me if you have questions 719 486 8297
  20. wxmn6

Now that you mentioned that you will be doing your own driveway, a straight blade will be the best choice. Usually when we have someone ask us what size plow to put on their 3/4 or one ton truck for plowing their own driveway, we usually would recommend 7.5' blade. But since your truck has dually, I would recommend a minimum of 8' blade, but a 8.5' blade would be a better choice. I think that it would be possible that the outside of rear wheels could be riding over unplowed snow with the 8' blade, but maybe it would not be that bad.

What brand plows do your local dealer(s) carry? For me, I prefer Fisher because they seems to be very strong and well construction snowplows, and also I like their 6" trip edge on the bottom of plow. If you hit an unmovable object, the trip edge will trip while the main moldboard will stay up and continue pushing the snow. Fisher plows has been very reliable and keep alot of us professional plowers very happy and satisfied.