1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Plow or Scoop Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by outsidepride, Jan 24, 2005.

1. outsidepride

outsidepride Junior Member

Buying a new plow next day or so need input on a V plow or Scoop plow i have for the last ten years just used straight blades any info would help i am leaning toward a scoop plow thanks :)

2. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Bolts will get in here and tell you to go wide but I would say go with a v. We just got 2 feet of snow with 6' drifts and I broke through and plowed everything. The V is useful. It also scoops well and will hold more snow in the scoop than your truck can push.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

to run a blizzard you are going to need a big truck. V's are also pretty heavy. watcha got? what do you do mostly? There is no perfect tool for every situation. If you give us some more info we will give you some thoughts and opinions so you can make a better decision.

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Welcome BTW :)

5. outsidepride

thanks guys for the welcome
    I have an 01 Duramax 2500 HD and a 03 6.0 2500 HD
    I do about 40 apartment buildings i have a Hiniker C Plow right now on the Duramax and a Meyer Poly 7.5 on the 03 i want to get rid of the Meyer but i want to stay with hiniker that way i can interchange plows between trucks. Either the V plow or a scoop plow thanks :)

6. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

Go with the V....

7. divihydroseed

divihydroseed Junior Member

I've been plowing for 5 years with a straight blade and just got a Fisher V-Plow. I'm a hige Fisher Plow advocate but don't like the V-Plows.

I've used the V-Plow the past 4 storms (ranging from 2" to 15") and would switch to the Blizzard plow with the box wings in a heartbeat. The scoop on the V plow doesn't do nearly what I thought it would - and has only shaved a couple minutes off my commecial properties. Residentially the V-Plow has been useless. I think there is more advantaged in have the blizzard plow with a 8' straight blade and box on the ends than the Fisher V-Plow that folded up covers 6' or so.

This past storm (16"), I plowed with a 6.5" Fisher Straight Blade on one of my trucks and was actually able to finish some of my large properties in less time that than the 8.5' Fisher V. I know some people swear by it, but I would spend whatever extra I needed for the Blizzard next time.

Just my opinion.......

8. avalancheplow

What!!! My V saved me at least 20% of my time. There is no way a 6.5' blade will go faster than a 8.5' blade

9. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

v plow useless?

i know i am new here, but can someone explain.

why does most say a v plow is useless at residentials. if you put one wing forwards, and one wing rearwards, don't you have an angled straight blade? or is everyone just saying that, because of the extra money one would pay, you really can't use the v plow features in residential.

please explain, as i might be changing my plan and seeking a f250 and possible a v plow.

10. ACE LANDSCAPING L.L.C.

ACE LANDSCAPING L.L.C. Junior Member
    from NH

hi, i'm new hear but i have a 2005 2500 HD GMC AND I BOUGHT A V PLOW. I LOVE IT IT WORKS GREAT ON RESIDENTIAL BECUASE YOU CAN V IT OR SCOOP IT AND GET INTO THE SMALLER DRIVEWAYS. ALSO THINK YOU CAN WIND ROLL THE SNOW BETTER WITH THE BLADE FORWARD ON ONE SIDE AND STRAIGHT ON THE OTHER _/. I LIKE THE WAY IT WORKS. AND LIKE SOMEONE SAID YOU CAN STILL USE IT AS A STRAIGHT BLADE. VERY VERSITILE. THANKS

11. avalancheplow

A v plow is a straight blade that scoops and vees. It cost me $600 more for the V compared to a 8'hd blade! payup Best extra $600 I ever could have spent. This past storm we got 2' of snow with 6' drifts and the V broke into everything and helped so much!

12. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

The V and scoop are handy any time you are trying to move snow , The v for breaking drifts and the scoop for hauling snow around .
    If you don't break any drifts like I do in rural drives , and you have a big truck look at the Blizzard.
    But as far as a V not being a time saver I disagree , there is a learning curve and a V can confusing until you get used to the controller , like any new piece of equipment.

13. ACE LANDSCAPING L.L.C.

ACE LANDSCAPING L.L.C. Junior Member
    from NH

I Think The V-plow Saves Alot Of Time. I Have A Smaller 1500 Gmc W/ A 71/2 Blade And That Took Almost 2 Times Longer Than The V-plow. The Extra Foot Of The V-plow Helped But The Things You Can Do With The V-plow Save Alot Of Time. I Do Commercial And Residential Drive, Parking Lots Near Marshes And The Ocean I Had Huge Drifts And The V-plow Just Goes Right Through Them. I WANTED TO ASK ABOUT CHARGING FOR THE PLOWING IF PEOPLE THOUGHT BY THE STORM OR BY THE TRIP OR HOW MANY INCHES AT THE END OF STORM WHICH IS THE BEST WAY THAT BENIFITS YOU. ALSO I HAVE CUSTOMERS THAT WANT TO HAVE A NUMBER FOR THE WINTER AND PAY HALF IN FALL AND HALF IN SPRING. WHICH IS THE BEST WAY???

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  14. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Like Ratlover said, it depends on the properties you plow. If you're doing a lot of parking lots at apartment complexes I'd think the Blizzard 810 would be the ticket. If you are opening up a bunch of driveways that get wind blown snow & drifts the V would be better there I think. Heck...you've been plowing for years, you know all this stuff. Buy both plows...that way you've got it all covered! :D

Buck

15. divihydroseed

divihydroseed Junior Member

Ahhh, we don't get very many drifts here so I have never had cause to use the plow to cut through a huge mound or drift. I do like the scoop action on the V - but it seems to me more useful for cleaning up trail off on very large lots where you have long pushes.

Thanks for the information, I have been trying to figure out under what circumstances I would use the V in cutting position. I guess it's more useful where you guys are at.

16. outsidepride

thanks for the input guys I decided on going with the V plow the dealer had one left over and was willing to let her go for the same price as the scoop plow. Having it installed tommorow. :D