1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v plow or expandable

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RhinoL&L, Dec 18, 2010.

1. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

I am torn between a v, and an expandable plow for a new truck. I love the expanding plows (blizzard), however our dealer service (or lack of) is very poor. I would love to try a new dealer, however there are no dealers close. With the DD takeover, i have been hearing stories about the new blizzard design. We have an 8611 on a dump, and love it, and wanted to stay with one name, to aid in ease of repair, parts, and the ability to mount plows on different trucks. The blizzard has done wonders for our productivity, and the ability to retract in to 8.5 ft is great for some tight areas we service as well. Another thought was to go around the dealer and stock all the parts, and do all the repairs and maintenance in house. The problem i see is finding someone with the knowledge and experience to quickly and accurately diagnose and solve problems, especially during an event. I have thought about a straight blade with wings, but we need to get in to some tight spaces. The v is our other option and although there are some great dealers around, there seem to be multiple drawbacks to them as well. Pricing for the plows is through the roof and while a v can carry snow in scoop position, we dont get too many events that require a v to be used in v position, and in straight blade, we are not being as efficient as we are with an expandable, or v when used in the scoop position. Anyone have any input on either plow, or been in a similar situation? I would like to get feedback as this has been a nagging issue for a couple months now, and we would like to figure it out soon, as we need to get the truck set up to take some of the work load off of the other trucks.

Thanks!

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I dont think the old 8611 has a lot of interchange ability with the new Blizzards. I know the mounting system is totally different. I have both A V plow and a couple of blizzards. Blizzard does a better job for parking lots and general plowing. V blade works great for long drives that get drifted in.

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i have a fisher 8.5 EXV and an XLS and it all depends on the type of properties you are servicing. But just after a few storms and using both of them the XLS is more productive all around. You can get into tight places with them, windrow great and you can transport over large areas with the scoop, more so then the V plow. The v is nice for drifting and for certain accounts. The next plow I buy to add to the fleet will be another XLS. Plus with the fisher multiplex system you can interchange the V plows and XLS with all trucks.

4. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

I started with 2 Fisher V's used them for 2 years took them off... and installed 2 86-11LP

that was 5 years ago... now I have 2 86-11lp 2 8-11 8-10SS and a fullsize 86-11

Just bought a new GMC3500 and a new 86-11lp for it.. only problem is they have a new attach system and this new plow will not hook up to any thing else i have.

5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Nice Fleet of trucks!Thumbs Up

6. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

I know, I dont understand why DD had to change something that was proven. I wanted to be able to switch plows / trucks, but with the new mount, that doesnt look like it will be happening (although my dealers mech. says it will). I personally have not used a v, but love the blizzard, and would love to put them on as we have the need for additional plows, but I am worried about the lack of dealer support, and the time it takes to get parts in (the local dealer doesnt stock many parts). As I said earlier, I have considered stocking all the parts for blizzard, but then I need someone who knows them inside and out, and can take care of problems in a timely manner. Any thoughts?

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

You could call Jerre in Erie. I bet he has some PH1 stuff laying around (in fact, I KNOW he does). He would be the person to talk to, and he's even the guy you can count on to help you out should there be a problem in the middle of the night.

He is my main Blizzard dealer, and he's 10.5 hours away.

8. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I think the blizzard is a much more productive plow than a v. I am not happy that with the design change, also comes a switch in controller. The shoebox controller is no longer available. I really like having full independent control of each wing. I wish Western or Fisher would offer a version of the 8611 as I have good dealers for both.

9. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

wideout sounds like it to me

10. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

yeah, looked into it, but the prices are crazy! I wouldnt mind a couple hundred, but the difference between the wideout and the blizzard is over 1000 difference. Even the 8611lp is more than 1000 less than the wideout!

11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

And the 8611 is still a Power Hitch 1 plow...:cool:

12. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I had this same issue when I was trying to decide on a plow. I had used a blizzard for the last seven years and loved every minute of it. I bought a new F350 this spring and was going to put a blizzard on it but everyone told me it was to heavy for my truck. I checked on the Western and Fisher brands as well but like someone else said the prices were just stupid for those brands. The dealer was recommending the speedwing but I didnt like the idea of not being able to control the wings. I ended up going with a Hiniker 9.5' V. I have been very impressed with it so far. I actually think it scraps down better, I like some of the features over the blizzard. Although it isnt as effective as a blizzard I am getting used to the V and starting to like it. I am going to get a set of wings for the large parking lots I do to elimate the run off and then it will be as good as a blizzard.

13. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

Yes, we have an 8611, however that is the only model that is still being made in the PH1 i believe. This is what i am talking about as any of the new blizzard(s) that we were looking into will not be compatible with the truck that has the 8611, or vice versa.

14. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

That's why I told you to call Jerre in Erie. He still sells the original Blizzard Power plows. I know SEVERAL guys who go this route in order to continue running the PH1 plows, and to have him do their work/installations.

15. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Biggest advantage the power plows has is the leading/trailing wing configuration. If you could add that to a V, it would be pretty even.