1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v-plow on f250

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tcooper, Sep 6, 2003.

1. tcooper

tcooper Junior Member

I have a 03 F250 sd 4wd with the 4400 front axle weight rating. I would like to put a 8.5 fisher vplow on, but I'm getting conflicting advice as to whether or not it will be too heavy for the truck. One of my local dealers said I could't do it at all, another said I would need to use air bags in the front to support the weight, and both Internet sales places I called said it would be no problem at all. Does anyone use a vplow on a 4400# front axle truck? The truck would be used to clear my business, and 20 or so drives in a moderate snowfall area.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not real sure it would matter, but what type cab setup is it? What you can do is run your truck across the scales and see how much the front end weighs without the plow, then add in the weight of the plow (you can look up the weight of a Fisher 8'6" on their web site). This shouldn't exceed the 4400#.
  3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

tcooper, Welcome to the best info on the net.

Your F250 will hold the plow with the #4400 ft springs but you will be over loaded for the spring rating. Your axle is not the limit your springs are.

You can upgrade to X code or #6000 ft springs quite easily at a local drive train or spring shop or the dealer can do it for you.

The V will put you over weight for the spring package. For moderate plowing you could probably do it but for the minimal cost of the spring update you will also get better handling from the truck because it will level out the front and rear.

Good luck and again welcome.

4. tcooper

tcooper Junior Member

It's an extended cab. I found the fisher recommendations on their website. According to fisher's information, the only fisher plow recommended is the 7.5 RD model, and that's only with 1000 lbs of ballast in the rear! I'm reluctant to switch springs until the warranty period is over. Should I forget about a vplow and settle for a straight blade? I have very little plowing experience, and only thought of the vplow after reading many posts on this board. Thanks for the help, this is a great resource!
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, for warranty reasons, you want to stick with the 7.5'. However, with the extended cab, you'll have the problems of your rear wheels being outside the plowed area when on turns. Jerre can advise you better than I, but I'd really suggest switching to the 6000 springs, then get the V-plow and make the most use of the truck you have.
  6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

With a 180# difference between the 7.5 rd and the 8.5 V i would upgrade to the X springs(it's really no big deal),run some ballast in the back and slap the V on her,as far as your warranty,it's a minute mount plow,it will never go to the dealer on the truck,who's to say what model is actually on it?
    Don't sweat it,take the advice(it's all the same) and then take the plunge:waving:
  7. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Ask the dealer where you intend to get service to do the springs. Alot of people do it with no problems/warranty issues.

Should be under 300-400 with labor (parts only cost about 225-250)

8. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I think that your truck could handle a v plow without any problem.
    Just add some timbrens in it. Maybe a 8ft straight blade if you think the v blade will be to heavy. The 7.5 is to small for your truck though. My dad ran a 7.5 meyer on a f-250 and it was way to small for the truckpumpkin:
  9. tcooper

tcooper Junior Member

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll look into the spring upgrade. Really appreciate the expert advice received.
  10. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

11. Santo

Santo Banned

1 leaf on each side(front) alleviates that notorious Ford nosedown stance too , not a weight issue .
  12. kc8mxa

kc8mxa Junior Member

I have a 99 f-250 with a snoway lobo v-blade with a v-10 and it handles it ok. The front dose drop about a inch but i also have a 420 steiner with v-blade in the back, so i`m overloaded all the time