1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-plow on a 1500 Z71?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alpha Property, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

So far my snow removal carer has consisted of toting around my 500cc honda quad with a 4.5ft plow on it and loading it and unloading it from site to site.
    Things for me have grown quite a bit and i'm now past my limit for houses that i can do with this set up.
    I have my eyes set on a V blade, i feel that it would allow me to open up drives that havent been done in a while, drives that drift between houses, as well as stack snow better and higher in some of the small postage stamp sized front lawns and carry snow from a drive out to the center of a circle or the end of a dead end street.
    Rite now i have a 2000 Z71 Extended cab short box with the 5.3L, i'll have this truck for at least a year until my uncle upgrades again and then i'll get a good deal on his 04 Ext cab short box 2500HD with the Dmax.
    So in both cases front axle weight is going to be an issue. I'm wondering if its worth the 70lbs of weight savings to go with a 7.5ft Boss V (boss and western and arctic are the only plow dealers in the area) with a weight of 700lbs, or the 8.2 at 770lbs?
    Also both trucks should have the same wheel base and track, I do mostly resi's, but with the V in the V and Scoop positions will the 7.5 have enough width?
    In the early morning hours out doing my drives i've seen a small handful of 1/2 tonnes with V's on them, they look to me like the 8.2's but i can't be 100% sure.
    Are there many people on here running v's on there 1/2 tonnes?

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

thers some, i knew a guy that put a 8'2 on a f150, i think thats a little much but donnou for sure

3. Alpha Property

any one put 2500 t bars and leaf springs on a 1500 to help with the weight?

4. alpine779

alpine779 Member

It's a pretty heavy plow for a half ton, we have boss v's on all our trucks, love the plows but I would stay with a 3/4 ton for that plow. We have an 8'2 on an 89 2500 chev and a 9'2 on a 92 GMC and we have done some welding on the frame a few times. Personally I don't think I have noticed any 1/2 tons with bosses up in Northern Ontario.

5. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Well I can say that a 7.5 would be too narrow. The 8'2" barely covers the front of my 2003 Silverado in V mode. I have a dent in my lower door in fact from trying to push back a crusty pile..the plow will V under the stress and doesn't clear a path wide enough when V'd...crunch :(

6. Alpha Property

good to know. I just had new leaf springs with an add a leaf installed in the rear, it gave me about 3 inches of lift, i now have the t bars cranked up to max to try and match the height but i'm still about an inch to 2 inches to low for my taste, i want it pritty close to level.
    I know i can get keys and timbrens for the front end, but with a boss 8.2 being the lightest v plow at 770lbs, i want to know if i can get 2500 series t bars on my truck, anyone know if they'll actualy fit in?

7. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

There has been alot on this subject try some searches?

Hey this has been discussed quite a bit on here . And the bottom line is it really depends on the truck and how it is hung up??? I have a 820lb Fisher V on my half ton and it handles it beautifully . I do have Timbrens added and would certainly recomend them. As far as the width of the plow it is never wide enough regardless which one you buy as when it is V or angled it hardly covers . I have had two V plows on two different half ton trucks and I have found that there is a crowd of people that are almost compleatly positive that it couldnt possibly work and will have a staunch opinon about how hard it is going to be on wheel bearings and ball joints and etc. This is 99% based on nothing[they have never tryed it or used one] But because they have only seen them on 3/4 tons before, so they just figure it cant be a good thing.
    I even had guys ask me to post actual pictures of the truck with the plow up so they can see how much the front end goes down when the plow is up?????
    My compitition has an old 3/4 ton Dodge truck with a 8 1/2 ft plow and when I first put a V on a half ton he claimed it wouldnt work and that he would plow circles around us. He plows with no ballast and summer tires and claims he doesnt need them??? On one account he used to have that is 600ft long and drifts like crazy that he had plowed for 8 years the customer told me that when we have a big storm I am up to the house in less than half the time ????? The half ton works well and if I were doing dozens of accounts and needed to put on alot of mileage between accounts over rough roads then I probably wouldnt rig up this way but for a dozen accounts that are all within 3 miles of each other this set up works super for us, so when someone tells you that that wont work or they wouldnt try it just pin them down to why they have that idea and you will find out that it is not based on ever having used one. I had a guy tell me that a Rolls Royce is just English junk but I am pretty sure he hasnt rode in one and most certainly never drove one????
    Good luck with the Chevy .................. :blush2:

8. Alpha Property

thanks for the positive words fisherVman, I know i'm going to be pushing it with weight, I'm going to be running 500ish lbs of ballast, deffinatly new t-bars, keys, Timbrins if needed. I may even have to do some welding and box up some of the front frame. I'm pritty set on doing this unless someone comes up with some solid reasons why not to, or my uncle decides to sell me his truck earlyer than planned.

9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well you can hear some pretty unreal stuff on here about this subject to include that you may need to replace wheel bearings every few weeks[ a total fairytale] and eveything in between your brakes are going to be worn out 10X faster and you will need to replace ball joints every year and on and on .
    The truth is I tryed it the first time two years ago on a 2008 F150 that was "extended cab" 8 ft body; and we added the aluminum spacers on top of the coils; at the dealers suggestion and that truck handled the plow nicely and would push a ton of snow and we never had an issue with it . They installed the plow and we plowed with it 07/08 season and I didnt like that lenght of a pickup to plow small drives with . We decided to sell the whole outfit; and the Fisher distributor asked them to do an inspection of the front end of that truck for their own referance; to see if that V plow had actually done any excessive damage to the front end of that truck???? So since they were selling the truck they did, and they told me that the brakes ,ball joints , wheel bearings , and everything else looked compleatly normal, and showed NO excessive wear to ANYTHING. But in all fairness: the truck had only been driven slightly over 3K that winter season DEC/March. So when sidewalk lawyers start winging their personal ideas; of any of this, remember they probably have ZERO experance hanging one of these plows; or using it, on a half ton pickup, so how much could that really be worth????? As far as ballast is consirned I think that sticking to the old formula that you need to add as much to the back as you have added to the front is still pretty darn close . In my case I run a 100gal fuel tank full of deisel fuel so with the weight of the tank itself and pump it is right at 800lbs or just about the same as the weight of the plow. For what ever its worth I like the Timbrens as well or better than the spacers and it is ALOT cheaper than the spacers were with all the labor and realignment etc.Just for your own referance here is some pictures of our truck with the plow up and down so you can see EXACTLY how much it effects that truck![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  10. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

up my way there is tons of half tons running around with v-blade. The only reason they say not to is because of that added weight. Things break easier in half-tons then 3/4tons, way your options.

If you getting a 3/4ton in a year, why not wait until you get the 3/4ton for a blade. Or put it on your 1500 and plow your heart out but don't be shocked if your profit goes right back into the truck. Unless you beat it bad, sell it in bad shape like many do.

IMO I wouldn't do it. I also wouldn't put a 9'2"v on a 3/4ton but people do it. My very first truck was a 1500, came with a 9ft fisher. The truck could plow with it fine, but after the first year repairs added to a point that it wasn't worth it.

11. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

12. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Hey Chris in NB,
    That half ton you had the 9 ft Fisher on that you had the problems with . I am interested in what kinda problems you actually had with it . I am going to assume these are front end problems, so am just wondering what exactly failed on the truck and what the mileage was on the truck and how specific you felt the problems were to the plow itself???? I am in agreement with you that a 3/4 ton truck has advantages to a half ton pickup in general but it would be interesting to look at the problems your mentioned ? And are you guys getting any snow over there today???? We are right on the border here on the west side of Spendik Lake and just seeing freezing rain showers and up to 25kt winds??? Cheers!

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think that's the key if putting a heavy plow on a 1/2 ton truck. Keep the travel distance to a minimum.

FVM - do you have weight behind the rear wheels when plowing?

14. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I have that 800lbs all behind the rear axle. The fuel tank is right against the tailgate.
    And I agree with you if I had alot of driving around say 10K miles per winter; I would definately just get a 3/4 ton pickup; but for the dozen drives we do; and for my own use to do ours; and my camp road; that is 1/2 mile long. This works very very well . And like Alpha; I already had the truck, so all this effects it. Also if I had any reason the other 8 months of the year to use a 3/4 ton than that would change the water on the beans as well. For what I am doing this is actually a perfect setup. I even think this would work fine for large commercial lots with a Fisher's wing extensions added to both sides of it; and tryed to find someone that has actually used them but have not been able to find anyone that has them???? As far as its ability to just push snow I surprised myself out on the lake last year; we when one weekend I got out there and chained up; and we had about two feet; and it was drifted up to 3ft in lots of places! It was normal; fairly dry snow; In the Ved position I actually droped the plow right at the landing; and went right out to the iceshack without ever stoping; and the biggest problem wasnt plowing the snow; but trying to see out the windshield when we would hit those drifts it would come right over the truck and you couldnt see anything till the wipers would recover it??? There was two other trucks with straight blades there ahead of me that had been struggling with it to say the least; and had been bunting away at it for about a 1/2 hour and made about 100yds of progress??? . After we got it opened up they each took a side, and we had about 1/2 mile of it cleaned up good in about 20 minutes or so. So the trucks ability to plow alot of snow its not a question at all:nod:
    As soon as it was plowed and the conversation went imeadiately to the merits of a V vs a Straight blade and both of them commented that they would have never believed that the V makes so much differance!

15. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Absolutely nothing up here! Warm and sunny...However Monday I believe we see the tail end of it with hopefully 15cm....

As far as the truck, The truck was an excellent work truck and plowed since new. I just sold it this past fall to update but wish I kept it. Problem that I had after one year of running the 9er was the obvious, front end rebuild, then power steering pump went, rack and pinion went, blew the rear end. The rear end I know was directly related to the weight up front. Blew out shocks and coils. Majority of the problems I related to the plow because after one year, I felt was a lot of repairs. After cutting the blade down to 7,6", I plowed with the truck for 5 more years and did not have to put a cent into except for brakes. Are they related? IMO yes....Keep in mind when I repaired the truck I did it right, 3/4ton coils and shocks, all heavy duty front end parts etc. Before the 9ft was on the truck we had a 7'6 blade on it and the truck was in mint shape, went through it with a fine comb before purchasing. Put the 9er on because the original 7'6 went to crap and problems arrived. Keep in mind, my truck was an 01 ram with a solid front axle. Your chevy (back to the thread starter) does not have a solid front axle, so all your joint, bushing, bearing etc are taking the beating.

In this line of business, we all know repairs are expected and if you don't think so then time to face reality. It's also very hard to say the 9 er caused all the problems but it definitely didn't help the problems. Best of luck to all!
    CMO

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Reviews on the XV wings have been mixed. Both online as well as the dealer. I think they would make a great addition to a 7.5. I would be less inclined to put them on an 8.5 or 9.5 due to the hinge issue and the extra leverage of the longer blades.

No doubt the Vee is the tool for opening stuff up. I have a couple accounts that I would have dropped/not taken without a Vee.

17. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think the chevy will hold it up as well as the ford. The chevy's squat bad with straight blades, your edges will drag bad while driving to the other accounts.

18. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen S-10's with 8.2's on em.

:dizzy:

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Adjust the T-bars, Timbrens, and sufficient ballast should be good. Worst case scenario, heavier T-bars.

20. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Thanks for responding to that question Chris. My god you did have some problems alright as from what you said it sounds like she basically sh*t her liver and everything went....................... wow that is some major problems all right and I guess you are not only implying the weight but the leverages involved with that width?? Its interesting as I have a friend that has a 9ft older Fisher on his HD 3/4 ton 1995 Ford he ordered with the heavest springs he could get on it. He bought it with a new Diamond V back then and trashed the Diamond one nite doing a favor plowing a strange driveway and he hit a stump under the snow and bent the blade badly and tore the hydro clyinder right off that side . He bought the Fisher and has always complained to me that he thinks it is actually heavyer than that big Diamond V was??? Claims it sags his truck worse??? I have no idea what those older 9's weighted in at but they must be a load if that truck wont hold em up????? He's truck has the 460 cu inch; with locking rear end; and I can tell you that son of a gun, will really shove it up there; big time! I used to have a movie of it busting thru some 4ft drifts on his camp road with the Diamond back when it was new; and that was my first exposure to a V on a pickup; and I found out that is a whole new ballgame. Another buddy that icefishes with us every weekend has a 2005 F250 Diesel with an EZ V 8.5 on his truck, and he has V bar chains; for all 4 tires; and we got hopelessly hung up out there one day; after going thru the 1st layer of ice that was about 3 inches thick,then about 3 inches of water before the solid ice underneath; and it had us compleatly hamstrung. And I can tell you that when he gets after that truck all chained up that 250 is unreal! He snaped me outta that stuff like nothing.