1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-plow On 1/2 Ton

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tjm, Dec 23, 2003.

1. tjm

tjm Junior Member

HI GUYS! I AM THINKING OF PUTTING ON A FISHER V-PLOW ON MY 2000 SEIRRA 1500, HAS ANY ONE OUT THERE TRIED THIS AND IF SO DID IT WORK OUT OK, THANKS AND MERRY X-MAS. TOM

2. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

The "V"-plow will destroy the 1/2 ton front suspension. It is too heavy for the front end.

3. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

you cant put a fisher v-plow on your truck. you can put a boss 7.5ft v-plow on your truck. make sure you install timbrens:)

4. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I used to have an '01 GMC Sierra 1500. I had a 7.5' western pro plow w/ ultra mount. Ran it for about 3 years. Personally, I would not recommend putting a v-plow on that truck. The suspension can't handle it. I was fine w/ my western, just put ballast in the year and installed Timbren's.

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

no way dude i would not even do a boss v plow

6. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Read the decal in the drivers door jamb or glove box door. It will give you a GVW rating for the front axle. A V plow is about 800 lbs in round numbers. Unless you have done something else, you are way overloading those front end components. A 7.5 Proplow is the biggest I would ever recommend for any 1/2 ton. Be safe. Swap the truck for a solid axle 3/4 T or stick with a straight blade in a 7.5 ft size.

7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

A buddy of mine has a 1/2 ton chevy and he had Quad City Spring here in town add a ton of suspension upgrades to it because 3/4 and 1 tons are very hard to come by here. He's got an 8.2 Boss V on it and it's fine. But keep in mind that he spent A LOT of money setting his truck up for it.:waving: