1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Plow on 07 Sierra 1500.....anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Trubrit, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Trubrit

Trubrit Junior Member

Looking to get a Poly V onto a half ton Sierra. Got a few problems - wondered if anyone could help.

It's the "all new" shape 07 Sierra - so many companies don't even make the mounts yet. Probably some dremel work required to get through the plasic on the front valance.

Based upon my research - the plow companies don't want a law suit - so they always spec some crappy lightweight personal plow for half ton trucks. (but I see people driving 1500 Sierras all the time with 7ft 6" Westerns.)

This would be to do my 150 yard driveway in the Catskills. I think that the snow moves better off a poly plow and the v shape will make better headway going up a slight incline. The plow would be removed for highway use.
  2. alaska dave

alaska dave Junior Member

I wouldn't do it, If you love you're truck

I just killed the front end then the engine on my 1997 GMC K1500 with a 500 lb. straight blade. The V plows weigh in at 950lbs. Now I know this means sure disaster for an independent front suspension truck. It's just a matter of time until repairs...Sorry, This is reality.
  3. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

Here is a couple things you need to decide, do you want to spend 5K on a plow for just yoru own driveway?, How long do you plan on keeping the truck, it will be harder on it with a bigger plow, yes, but your not going to be breaking things constantly on it. The boss v plows weigh no more than a lot of the straight blades people are running, not to mention, being the the V formation you will have more of the weight towards the truck. The new trucks are also rated for heavier plows i noticed. What engine, cab configuration, and front axle do you have?
  4. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

what configuration is your truck? Ext cab, reg cab? I like the theory that its your truck your the one who pays for it you can do whatever you want. But seriously though, have you looked into the new western MVP Plus they have a 7 1/2 ft Poly plow that weighs in around 840 versus a BOSS 8'2 Poly that will be around 880 if not alittle more. Yah its only a difference of 40-50lbs but thats just alittle less weight on the front end. Taking the plow off like you said for any other driving is a REAL plus so go ahead with the big V because it will help with deep snows. Good luck and put pics up when you get it!
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I doubt it would handle it. front end would fail quick.
  6. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I agree with Basher on this one. I run a straight blad on my 97, and have not had any major problems with my front end. However, the truck does squat about 3 inches when I lift the blade. A heavier V plow will definitly make it wear alot quicker. I would recommend sticking with a straight blade if anything.
  7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

3"? jeez. My 98 with a 7.6 western pro drops an inch at most. My bars are only cranked a little to keep the plow wings from dragging at full angle.
  8. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Yeah, I'm going to deal with it again for this season, but come spring/summer, the front end is getting bump stops and either new Bilstein or new procomp shocks. 3 inches might be a little exaggeration, but its between 2 or 3 I would say, will measure it next time I put the plow on. But at full angle, the corner of the blade will scrape if I hit a small bump.
  9. Trubrit

Trubrit Junior Member

FYI its the New Shape Extended cab SLE 4x4 Z71 6ft bed. I figure that the difference in weight between the straight plow and the V is so little - plus with the V folded back, there is less of a moment on the mounting point and therefore less forces than a heavily cantilevered straight blade. I like the ultramount for fast on off - looks well designed.

I can't believe that some of these plows weigh almost half a ton! Jeez!
  10. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

???????????????????????say what????????????
  11. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Yah Trubrit plows, even the smaller ones these days are getting to be downright heavy. The western 7 1/2 ft MVP-Plus Poly Vee plow (around 840lb? includes the truckside mount) would be your best bet if you want to get one. Like i said before A boss 8'2 poly Vee is gonna end up at least 880lbs but probably closer to 900lbs becuase the truckside mounts are between 75 and 100lbs, on top of the 800lb plow itself...but whichever you get would suffice.:rolleyes:

Im not saying these other guys are wrong that the plow being so heavy wont take a major tole on your front end, but this is how i look at it...buy the heavier V plow and easily break a trail out through the deeper snow on the first tryprsport, and take it off when your done .......or the alternative, buy a lighter-weight straight blade and be forced to beat the crap out of the truck to try and get through the deeper snow making more work then you have to.:cry:

ultimatley its up to you, haha Cant wait to see your new setup...remember pictures pictures pictures....im sry its an uncontrolable addiction:dizzy:
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Western wisely limits you to a 7'4" suburbanite.

That truck barely has enough front suspension to carry itself around.

The days of 1500s carrying more then a mid/light weight plow are gone.

You bought what is basically a station wagon with an open back, thinking you have a work truck is a mistake.

IF you can get a mount that will allow the use of a 7'6" Vee (made by anybody) it would surprise me.
  13. Trubrit

Trubrit Junior Member

I've spoken to a few people who have put HD rated springs on the front end to avoid dive when the plow gets lifted. Sounds like a few hours with a spring compressor well spent. It's as long as a limo anyway - not like the ride is going to suffer.
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What ever.
  15. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

Years ago, I was looking for a 1500 extended cab and intended to put a full sized plow on it. Turns out, the 1500 extended cab frame was not rated to handle a plow (standard cab was OK). You had to go to 2500 or better with extended cabs. Maybe things have changed but since I planned to drive around with the plow mounted, I went with the 3/4 ton rather than second guess the mfr.
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So your blaming IFS for all your problems? Anyway, I've had really good luck with 3/4 and 1 ton GMC trucks but I think your pushing the limits of the 1/2 ton NBS. The power train warranty will be denied on a half ton for sure, as soon as the V-blade goes on, along with the bigger springs. JMO
  17. alaska dave

alaska dave Junior Member

I only blame myself for putting the plow on a 1500. I had just sold my JD backhoe, the best way to move snow. and had previously had an 85 chevy 3/4 ton, that was rusting out in the body too much for me. And thought the 1500 would meet my needs. Well, after 37 feet of snow and being the first contractor into the 1 mile subdivision road everyday to my build site last winter. The truck would really heat up. I got tired of getting stuck and chaining up, so did the truck. Ball joints were barely hanging on at the end, my shop gave me the no-drive warning while we ordered parts. My shops here charge $90/hour to maybe fix the problem. And this was with the Western LSX 72, now replaced by the Suburbanite. Really the lightest plows with cab controls. Over time, even less, the heavier plows will wear hard on the IFS. Better stick some Timbrens in right away I would suggest.

The IFS, after quizzing many HD2500 owners is just not the right front end. It was the truck I wanted though and had to switch brands, I chose a solid axle Ram 2500, after passing on the Ford 250hd. It reall came down to long-term low problem, least amount of time put into plowing since it takes hours everyday to keep my own stuff open when it's dumping. A bucket loader would be by far the best way to move snow and a lot of it in the late winter when you get boxed in. But I got tired of the *$&@@ hydraulic catastraphes.

I did have to break down and buy a 10 hp blower right at the end of the season last year as the loaders were all busy and I could barely keep the driveway open. It works great, but you have to walk outside in the winter. Brrr. HA.

Lots of things will work to move snow, I hate to see someone get advice that will ruin their new truck. As someone said here, Western recommends only the Suburbanite for this model truck, that really says it all..No standard plow weight carrying ability on this truck.

Good luck,
  18. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Last year when the reverse went out in my 96 Dodge 1500 with a boss 7-6 I could not find a tranny in the state. So I ended up going down and putting the undercarriage on my 04 Dodge 1500 so I could take care of my clients while waiting for a tranny to be shipped in from Cali. What I found was this. The 04 handled the boss ok but I would not use it all the time. It is only a back up for when one of the other trucks breaks now. Its not in the same league as either my 96 1500 or 95 2500. Either of the older trucks will plow circles around the 04 without the worry of the front ends going out. I look at the new 1500 trucks as more of a country gentleman's daily driver then as a work truck. I believe that dodge is the only new truck design that still uses the straight axle in its 2500. I may be wrong but I think I am correct. For heavy plowing or commercial I would stay away from independent fronts. Just my personal opinion. On a second note if you look around and do your shopping right you can end up with a decent truck and plow for about the same cost as a new V plow. I did it. 95-V10 2500 Dodge with 87k miles on it. No dents or rust. 2250. used two year old western V 8-6 3000.00 complete, Installation 400.00 Total cost 5650.00 New Boss or western V @5900.00 This is in Alaska so you might even do better there.
  19. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

first of all...nowhere did he say he was doing any kind of commercial work, its his own fricken driveway. This forum is the non-commercial one too. He even said he was going to take it off before driving on any highways. Im sry but i love how some people will encourage chevy and GMC HD owners to put overweight plows on their diesels, but as soon as anyone with a half ton 1500 wants to overload it for their own driveway only...:yow!:SHAZAAM your damned to the ends of the earth if you want anything bigger then a little plastic plow.:gunsfiring:

ok im done now...haha:waving: ppsssst....get the Vxysport
  20. geereed

geereed Senior Member

We have a BINGO:drinkup: