1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V plow moves very slow?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Bossman 92, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

At the end of last season one of my V plows developed a fluid leak and I am sure it was run low on fluid a few times. Well we fixed the leak and cleaned the screens and put in new fluid and it still moves very slow. My question is do I need a new motor or a new pump? BTW, the plow is about 10 years old. with the orgional pump and its 2nd motor.

Thanks Andrew

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Did you get all the air out of the lines? Make sure the electrical connections are all keep. Could be the pump,mine did that last year and I had to have the pump replaced.

3. Bossman 92

I am pretty sure we got all the air out. As far as connections, it acts the same on 2 different trucks. Slow up and side to side. So if it is a poor conection, it has to be on the plow side. (I think) We also checked and cleaned them all last week with no change.

I used the search button, and read that if we pull the motor we should be able to spin the pump and see if it's still good. My next question is when we do that how should the pump spin? Also is there anyway to clean the pump while it's apart and try again?

Don't get me wrong if it is the pump I want to replace it now, instead of this winter. Like I said before the plow is almost 10 years old with the original pump and 2nd motor. Now that I think about it the plow has acted tired for the last 2 years. IDK?

Thanks Andrew

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A voltage drop test between the battery and motor on both the power and ground cables, an amp draw test on the motor and a pressure test will clearly show what it needs, and more importantly doesn't. Don't simply throw parts at it.

All just the basic health checks for any plow.

5. Bossman 92

Again, I was hoping you would see this B & B.

OK is this something we can do with simple tools, or do I need to drive an hour to the dealer. Don't get me wrong, if it needs to go to the dealer thats fine. But now that I have a shop with everything we need I would like to learn to fix them in house.

Thanks in advance Andrew

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you're dealer is an hour away it's definitely in your best interest to have the needed tools on hand to perform the checks yourself. Especially since you run multiple units as the time savings alone after a few trips would more than pay for the tools.

To test voltage drop you simply need a digital volt ohm meter (DVOM for short). Doesn't have to be anything high quality unless you want that. A cheap $20 unit will do the job just fine. Then you need a clamp on DC amp meter with a scale of at least 300amp. Again it doesn't have to be a $400 Fluke brand, a cheap $50 Craftsman unit (for example) will do the job fine. And finally you need a 3000PSI minimum pressure gauge and some misc fittings in order to tee it into the lift hose for checking pump pressure. You can find reasonably priced hydro gauges in the $40 price range from places such as Grainger, Northern Tool etc if you look around a little.

You can see all these tools can be gathered for not much money at all. How many dealer trips and downtime does it take to offset that cost? Not much at all so it's a very wise investment for anyone in this business.

7. Bossman 92

Sounds good, I will grab the tools today and check back in to find out the process on how to go about doing this.

Thanks Andrew