1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V plow lifting in scoop mode.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mud, Dec 5, 2013.

1. mud

mud Senior Member

First year plowing with a truck have always used equipment in the past.

We got hit with a pretty big storm the last few days. Really heavy wet snow. I ran into a problem with my new Snow dogg VXF 85 wanting to lift up a couple inches instead of staying down on the pavement where it should be when trying to push in the scoop mode which did nothing but pack the snow. Anything I can do to make this less of an issue. Works fine strait or angled and in v mode as well. Didnt seem to be an issue in the last storm when there was less snow and it was not nearly so heavy.

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't put it in full scoop,give it a little dog leg to it.

4. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

+1. Beat me to it.

5. just plow it

just plow it Senior Member

I had this same problem in the past with a Boss V plow and found that by removing the snow deflector the problem went away. The snow would pack under the deflector and lift the plow. I don't know if your plow has a deflector or not but if it does it may be something to look at.

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Bingo You hit it on the head I don't run one anymore no more of a issue

7. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Can it be adjusted to have a better angle of attack, meaning, so it will tend to slice under the snow rather than bulldoze it?
    I know the Fishers have 3 mounting holes where the A-frame pins on to the headgear..and even though the change is slight, the effect is very noticable.

8. Antlerart06

The 3 mounting hole helps to keep the cutting edge to wear even

Like my MVP I run 8'' and I have to tilt forward and once wears down to 4'' then I adjust it to tilt back.

If you Vplow a lot on gravel you can have it tilted back more. So when you drop it on the ground the nose will be off the ground and the out side edges will be on the ground. On pavement it will wear the edge bad

9. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I have noticed the ends are wearing fast...I plow 2 paved lots, the rest are gravel.

10. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Good Thread....

I learned something New

11. Antlerart06

In scoop mode if ends wearing to fast you need tilt back one hole

When the edge is new and you have it sitting on flat ground in V mode The plow edges should all be on the ground

12. grandview

If your plowing alot in scoop,your ends will wear faster.,because there is more pressure on it.

13. Antlerart06

You are right on a Boss!!!

But on western If set right, it will wear even till a point then you move to the next hole.
    On my plow I run 90% in scoop and when I removed my edge this last month The difference from center to the end wasn't even a 1/2''
    I run 8'' edge and my plow is in the top hole and every 2-3'' I'll drop a hole and it tilts my plow back. I'll do this 2 times in the life of my edge. Now I ran a Factory edge of 6'' I will only change hole 1 time.

Now My boss when it is time to change the edge it can be 1-2'' difference from center to the ends. If I run it to much in scoop. Once I started to put a 8'' edge on I had to put a thicker piece of steel under the rubber on the A frame to tilt it forward till it wears down to 3'' Then I would remove it.

I know few guys around here run Western Vplows and there edges are worn bad. There dealer never told them they can adjust there plow to help wear on the edge. Since I installed my plow and put it together. I know what them extra holes are made for.

14. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Changing what hole the frame is in changes the how evenly the cutting edge sits on the pavement but this also changes the attack angle of the plow and its preformance. On Fisher ( I dont know if others do this ) blades theres bolts in the center of the A-frame that change the straightness of the A-frame without changing attack angle . If your frame sits level with the ground when down and the cutting edges dont sit even you need to change these .

15. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

A BOSS will not do that if you keep the center rubber bumper adjusted so it sits flat in all positions. I know as I have BOSS plows and they wear even. :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  16. grandview

I lost that rubber piece yrs ago.

17. mud

mud Senior Member

Well it seems to have gotten a little better with the colder weather and the snow being a little more frozen instead of wet. The fact that the snow deflector also broke off might have something to do with that as well. It apparently wasn't up to sub zero temps and opening up a lot with deep frozen driven on snow on it.

Its a good possibility that it has as much to do with my lack of experience pushing snow like that as anything else.