1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V plow leaving snow in the middle

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by americanlawn, Dec 2, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn Junior Member
    from Midwest

My Western V-Plow leaves a swath of snow in the middle of each pass. The rubber piece (at the bottom between the 2 blades) was new last year, and it still looks good. Any ideas? Thanks..

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Did you replace the cutting edges ? The puck may of worn down and now sits higher then the cutting edge. Picture?

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

My center piece is adjustable. But I have a Sno-Way.

4. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

He's got a Western (like me) they don't have the puck, like a Boss does.
    I'd say set the plow down, plow a few feet and look to see why its leaving a swath. Maybe the rubber is bending back too much and just brushing over top of the snow. ya know what i mean?

5. LIBERTYLANDSCAP

LIBERTYLANDSCAP Member

What position is the blade in when it leaves snow? Scoop, angled, V? If the mount height is set up wrong, you'll leave snow in the middle, or the middle will "dig in".

6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I see what you are saying (Liberty). If the plow is mounted too high on the truck, when the plow is in the scoop position, the end edges will hit way befor the rest, and cause the middle to not set down all the way. I guess this would beg yet another question for the poster; was any new suspension work done, that would cause a higher front end?

7. americanlawn

from Midwest

I found out why. The rubber piece is held on with 2 bolts. Turned out.....one bolt was missing. Even though the rubber piece was in place while not plowing. So I replaced the bolt with a stainless steel bolt and added an extra large flat washer (also stainless steel). Sorry guys -- it was my dumb fault. Maybe my dealer's fault too cuz the rubber peice was replaced last March....that's only 3 plow events since they replaced it. I also wonder why they did not using stainless steeel bolts or locking nuts???

8. Blasco

Blasco Junior Member

I guess I should check mine as well before the next storm.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  9. Blasco

Blasco Junior Member

$$$$$$$$$$$$

10. americanlawn

from Midwest

The truck is in perfect order (2000 GMC). We have our plows serviced by the dealer before each winter. Replacing cutting edges, rubber puck, bolts, making adjustments, changing fluid & screen, etc when needed. But the rubber "puck" in the middle seldom lasts for more than 3 snow events. It either tears thru the bolt, or it actually tears off on one side. It's a constant pain (several times per winter), and it sucks leaving trails of snow 1 - 2 inches high by 6 - 8 inches wide.

Our Western dealer (Truck Equipment, Inc) has always been great, and I don't want to get rid of this MVP cuz it's been the most productive plow we've ever had. Somebody told me there might be a 4-piece conversion kit that eliminates the rubber puck, but I can't find anything about it. Anybody heard of such a thing? rscvp, thanks

Hoping to trade in one of our straight blades for a new MVP w/Nighthawk next summer.

11. Mass-hole

Mass-hole Member
    from Boston

They aren't using stainless bolts because stainless is more expensive. They should use lock nuts/ washers.

However, you may not want to use stainless either. When you have painted carbon steel and stainless steel touching, or any dissimilar elements, there is a transfer of electrons from one to the other. In this case from the plow to the stainless bolt. The result being that the plow rusts out, while the bolt doesn't. (This is why people use sacrificial zincs on boats, etc). So I'd switch to a zince plated bolt, plow doesn't rust, the bolt does.

12. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Not sure but isn't a stainless bolt pretty soft for that type of application?

13. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go zinc plated too, stainless can cause that electron transfer with dissimilar metals that was mentioned. Use Zinc hardware and nylok nuts, just carry a couple spares, you'll now know what to look for and can fix qiuckly without risking the structural intergrity of your plow. All the salt that plows are exposed to will only accelerate any rust that starts due to disimilar metals. And as to your dealer possibly being at fault, sure he should have used lock washers or nylok nuts, but we break those bolts a couple times a season in the normal course of business.

14. americanlawn

from Midwest

Thanks very much guys -- I see there are also some lawnsite.com friends here helping (thanks)

Our rubber piece shells out well before any type of metal shows any sign of corrosion. Even if the bolts were platinum, it would make no difference.

I expressed our rubber puck concern with our dealer. They have been using much larger washers to minimize the tearing through the bolts, but that does not prevent the rubber from actually tearing off. They realize it's a bad design, and that's why the newer MVP's made changes to eliminate this problem.

Thanks to all for helping.

15. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I'm not sure what the piece looks like but couldn't you use a flat piece of metal stock 2" wide by whatever length in place of washers?

16. americanlawn

from Midwest

we'll try that next

Thanks buddy -- sounds like a 2 x 2" piece of metal would help keep the rubber from tearing off or through for a longer period of time compared to the smaller washers.