1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Plow, Inferior (or Not)????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CENLO, Jan 27, 2005.

1. CENLO

CENLO Member

I have an 8' Western Proplow and a 9'-6" Western V. When angling the V blade I get the snow rolling off the end! So now if I try to swipe behind vehicles or, say, along a sidewalk I end up dumping a ton of snow back on the side walk. (or against the cars). If I use the 8' I get a nice clean cut. I asked Western and they said there is only a 2 degree difference between the plow angles. I find that hard to believe! Even on large lots with long pushes I think the 8' would be as fast as the V (during lighter snowfalls) due to the fact it can move the snow better to the sides. Has anyone else noticed this? If I would have known this prior to purchasing I may have got the 8'-6" or 9' pro w/wings! Or maybe the 8'-6" V is different? Or if V plows have the angling problem I would have gone Boss for the poly blade option :confused:
  2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Its the hinge in the middle thats the problem.We have a Boss 9.2 V and We just bought a Blizzard 810. The 810 moves the snow much better and with more control.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  3. beungood

beungood Member

Blizzard instead of V

Wouldn't a Blizzard power Plow work better than a V ?
  4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I dont get it. What does the hinge in the middle have to do with snow rolling off the side of the plow??
  5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

V plows regardless of brand are not the greatest at windrowing ( angling), this is not their intended strength. Their strengths are in drift busting and scooping. If you have a requirement for clean pull aways from curbs or behind cars and the best windrowing and power scooping you should look at the Blizzard 810. However you will not have the drift busting ability of a V. Right job, right tool. No one plow does it all.
  6. CENLO

CENLO Member

Probably but there is no dealer in the area.
  7. CENLO

CENLO Member

I tried to do alot of research on this site before purchasing my V, I wish I could have found this info before! I think the Western pro w/ wings would have been a better option.
  8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The V plows dont have as much moldboard curve and the hinge is like having a 2by6 bolted in the center of the blade. It acts like a dam, prevents the snow from sliding sideways along the blade surface. Which causes the snow to build up and spill back over the leading edge. Especially as the snow gets deeper.
  9. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

ok , sorry , i just wasnt sure what you meant by that.
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The best way I have found to not put the snow on the sidewalk. I make my first pass about 4' from the sidewalk. Then I make my pass with the plow riding against the sidewalk. Because you have a spot without snow the windroe will push the snow there before it will start to go back onto the sidewalk. Hope that made sense.
  11. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I agree with cet.
    Make your first pass a few feet away from curbs or cars. This gives the snow on the second pass (right up to the cars or curbs) somewhere to go.
    This technique also works good for strait blades.