1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v-plow help!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CHATAWAY, Dec 23, 2000.

CHATAWAY Junior Member

I am stuck with a hard situation here. The Boss 9' 2" and Western MVP 9' 6" are my finnalists but they both have some differences!

BOSS 9'2"

- Full triping
    - heavier mouldboard 11gauge
    - doesn't come with
    rubber deflecter
    - has joystick control
    - no locking cylinders
    for back draging

Western MVP 9'6"

- Triping edge
    - mouldboard 12gauge
    - comes with rubber deflecter
    - has a hand held controler
    - looks like it comes with
    locking cylinders

There seems to be lots of talk on this board with v-plow operators being pleased with thier systems.

this is a hard dissition for me alone, any help with this topic would be highly appreciated.

[Edited by CHATAWAY on 12-23-2000 at 06:19 PM]

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

This is my first year on my Boss 8', but I really do love it. The standard three switch controlls really are a natural, and it took no time to get the hang of them. The cylinders lock for back dragging, although I have a rear plow and never backdrag with the Boss.

Its built like a tank, and seems to hold up very well to the everyday abuse.

Flip a coin and go buy either one of them. You'll never regret it either way.

Once again, as everyone here has said before, go to the best dealer, that will be more important in the future than what name is on the front of the plow.
  3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

If it's a toss up... go with the best dealer.

CHATAWAY Junior Member

I would go with the closest dealer, if there was one!!!

the so called dealers here just order anything when needed no parts or plows in stock. Nice bussness hey, and the prices are no comparison to your areas ( $7000can for a v-plow and that is uninstalled $750 installation)

closest dealer that seems to know and stock product is over 1000kms away ( if I leave this afternoon should be back christmass morning!!!) and if something is missing for the install, it is not like running back to get the part. But I'm willing to take my chances...

thanks guys

BTW I hear the Boss plow can backdrag for little distances
    30ft or so before going to the scoop postion, this is probablly all you would need in order to get infront of the snow.

Every BOSS Power-V Plow is available with our optional SmartLock™ cylinders–to keep your blade locked securely in the Straight-position when backdragging. And all without slowing your plow down the way double-acting cylinders do.

This is off the BOSS website.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

go with the extra 4" on the western
  7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The 9'6" western v can only be installed on the 450-550 series truck. If you have a smaller truck than that the boss is the only way to go. IMO its no choice at all.
    Western all the way. The full trip on a v plow simply doesnt work period.

CHATAWAY Junior Member

I nerver realized this, so Western has no v-plow to mate with a dodge one ton then!!

I can just see it get the Boss now then next year they improve that trip on the blade.

I have seen the lobo v-plow (will work on one ton duallies) and for what they want for it just can not be justified. the plow looked very light duty, and all the talk is about this speacial Down Pressure System. (Just found out this plow too is full trip also)
  9. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

western has an 8.5' v plow on the market for your 1 ton dodge.

10. plowking35

from SE CT

Yes they do, its the 8.5' v plow that they have had out for 4 yrs. The 9.5' v plow is new for this year.

CHATAWAY Junior Member

I realize that the 8.5 v-plow will fit but at full angle it only clears 7 1/2 feet,a truck with dual rear wheels are 8 feet wide. 6inches plus what ever spills back will be driven over giving the truck less tracktion ect..

On the Western web site there is no mention that their 9 1/2 v-plow is so limited to certain trucks. I have heard it has a heavier duty mount and is over a 1000lbs.
  12. plowking35

from SE CT

I plow with 2 dual wheel trucks with the 8.5 mvp, and the tire issue is minmal at worst. Trust me, compared to the pounding your truck will take with a boss v plow, the 6" one way or another wont really matter. You have to be on a very sharp curve for the tires to track outside the plowed lane.
  13. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Haven't bothered stopping by in a while been too busy. After plowing for several weeks straight, I think of all my friends here when the wings on my Boss fold back and the blade trips I realize that I am conversing with several people who have their own agendas based solely on ignorance and very little fact.Hope alot of you guys go out get a little experience before making wild hare brained statements.

I edited out the personal attacks. Please try to get along. I am not allowed to leave personal attacks on any forum.

[Edited by Eric ELM on 12-26-2000 at 02:01 AM]
  14. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Here we go again!

The only thing I want to know is that every time it snows, all of the shops are filled with Meyer and Western plow owners/operators waiting for repairs. Not one Boss owner in the bunch. Go figure.
  15. GeoffD

Boss doesn't have a lot of dealers in Maine. I have yet to ever see a Boss plow. So I have nothing really negative or posisitive to say about them. However IMO I have serious thoughts about the full trip design on any blade straight or V. Now I have grown up on trip edges plows so I kinda lean that way.

Well, in all my plowing all I've ever used were Western straight blades, (full trip), and now the Boss, (full trip).

Never been much of an issue with any of us. Can't imagine that its a problem with some people. Maybe it depends on your plowing style.
  17. GeoffD

Here is another way to look at. Fisher is Built and Maine, and Diamond was built in Maine. So me and my fellow Mainer's lean toward the products built in our state.

I think Western is built in the mid west, so a lot of guys form the mid west use them.

Maybe it a local thing? Just my guess. All I know is I can count on 2 hands how many wester, meyer, and boss plows I have sean in my the past 5 years, and I have sean a lot of Maine.

18. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Here in CT we see lots of different plows. For the most part I have always run fisher cause I liked how there framed looked and were built before the removable style came in. I still think they have the best blades for stacking and handling heavy snow. Now with the removable headgears looks don't matter and most subframe are pretty much the same as far as mounting points. Around me plow dealers come and go with the season. I stick with Fishers cause I can swap them around on my trucks and they hold up well. I am about to buy a Meyer for my small truck so we will see. I may end up buying a Fisher blade for it and weld on new ears if I am no satisfied with the meyer.
    This is just my two cents.
  19. plowking35

from SE CT

I have never seen a western go down during a storm. their a frame and quadrant are very strong. On the v plow they are even stronger. On the boss plow I am sure they are built very strong, they have to be to take the pounding from having a poorly designed trip mechanism. Once again I will repeat what a boss engineer told me. We know we have a poor design, but it will cost to much to change it. If that doesnt settle the issue than what will. It is a design issue pue and simple. Just because you like to pound your truck, doesnt mean it isnt a viable problem. For me I will use the wimpy trip edge and keep my trucks in one piece.
    I am not uneducated, in fact due to the fact that I have spoken at length to a boss engineer, might make more educated that others. Glad you got snow.
  20. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

OK - my (very good) Boss dealer has been flogging the Boss for 12 years. He said ( in the heat of the sales pitch for me to buy the first one for me) two years ago that he just saw the first Boss pump come into his shop in 10 years for a true rebuild due to a wear situation. He has had others in prior to that due to abuse and collision, but it was 10 years before a truly worn out pump came in.

Just his relation to me

BTW, we ended up believing the sales pitch and the product. No westerns or fishers or (Yikes) Hinekers in the area. Actually, if Boss were not available, we would have gone with more Arctics, because of the dealer and the reasonable quality of the Arctics.

As and aside, I had the opportunity to chat up the Artic sales dude this summer, I beat him up about not building me a vee plow, and his response was that, as a former Fisher employee, the direction he wanted to see Arctic go was to chase the Fisher markets in Eastern Ontario and Quebec. I told him my straight blade days were over; build me a vee and I will buy lots, and he told me to buy Bosses. Go figure.

His name was John ____. Do you know him Geoff???? He was pretty stubborn, and not very concerned about his loyal customers. In otherwords, I didn't care for him too much, and my dealer even had less flattering things to say about him.

[Edited by Deere John on 12-26-2000 at 04:12 AM]