1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v plow hand-held control techniques?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by old skool, Dec 4, 2008.

1. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

First off....WOW... Ive been plowing for over 30 years and just installed a new Boss 8.2 V-plow on my 97 Chevy K3500. We got about 4" of snow today and I used it for the first time. and cant believe how great it is!

Ive got a question on the controls tho. Ive always used dash mounted rocker switches, mounted on the left in the past. That way I could operate the plow with my left hand, while shifting with my right.

Its really not taking very long to adjust to the new hand held control. Ive tried both right and left hand,, but Im finding I like"hanging" it from middle, ring, and little finger of my right hand,using my thumb to operate the switches. This still allows me to shift.

Im currious,what type of controls and techniques do you personally find best?

2. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

I mounted mine to the left on the dash, on a bracket that has it sitting at a 45 deg angle.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I made a bracket to mount the controller to the shift lever. the handle comes off the controller and your left with a rectangular key pad. some strong Velcro and it stays on the shift mount. Now you can shift and work the controller. You never have to search for the controller and your left hand is always on the steering wheel.

4. payton

payton Senior Member

ijust keep mine in my right hand on top of my shifter.. but once im plowing i hardly shift gears.so its not that big of an issue with me but yeah my thumb is the only thing that touch's the buttons.ive taken mine apart and thought bout a mount on top of the shifter but never found a way i thought id like it..

payton

5. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I'm in the same boat as you...after 21 years of left hand dash mounted switches, I just switched to the Boss 9'2" vxt...switching to the right hand and always holding it feels a bit awkward. Sometimes I find myself still reaching w/ the left hand out of habit. All and all, I like the new plow a lot...just got to figure a better way to reach for my coffee and smokes. Only thing that I don't like is the length of the cord...If I want to set it down for a sec, it usually falls to the floor right over the gas petal. Right hand controls...arrrg!!

I'd love to see some pics of what other guys have done w/ theirs to make things a bit more comfortable...Seems like there should be some kind of holster for it as well, instead of it sitting on the floor when it's not in use. Do they make such a mount, I just don't want to go crazy w/ drilling holes and find later that I don't like it.

Hope I didn't walk too hard on your thread, just figured we were in the same place w/ this one...

Thanks

6. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Im glad Im not the only one trying to figure out what works best. I did start out holding the control in my left hand, but found it was awkward to operate the wiper switch..The other thing I fight is the fact I cracked a couple of bones in the back of my right hand a year ago. After hours of running the control, the back of my hand swells up and aches. ( sounds whimpy.. guess thats what happens when we get old?) )

Might have to see about left-hand dash mounting? In the past, I always made brackets to pull the controls toward you, so you werent always leaning over to reach them..

I also wouldnt mind seeing some pics of the custom mounts anyone has done?
    Thanks for all the input so far!

7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I feel your pain, sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm not the Superman that I once thought I was...and comfort suddenly becomes a big deal. I did something very stupid recently (forgetting about an old knee joint injury). Now, I sit more on the computer...I'm always trying to remind myself "More brain, less brawn"...But I never listen, I'm stubborn like that...

8. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

9. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I also use the pedestal mount and found it difficult to switch from left to right hand after so many years.

10. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Iam like using my left hand to operate the controler. Just natural to me. So, I took the handle off, just two screws, and was left with just the little square control part. I use heavy duty velcro and velcroed it to my dash with two small strips. Then its off and on easy and always in the same spot. Worked out really well for me.

11. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

I've never plowed much with our Boss Vs (just in and out of the shop) but something one of my guys came up with was...cut a piece of PVC about 1.5ft long, drop the cord for the remote down through it, plug it in, and then stuff the PVC down the gap between the drivers side, and middle section of the bench seat. ( 2000 and newer Chevy)
    it seems to make it pretty convenient to reach.

12. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Well if you're used to using your left hand, and your left hand is stronger then why not switch back to your left hand?

My dealer mounted the hookup for my controller under the dash right next to my center console. The wiring comes through the firewall pretty much in the middle of the drivers seat, so i don;t see why i/you couldn't cut the zip ties and mount the hook-up to the left side of the dash. When you're no using it you could just turn it off and throw it in one of those pockets on the door if you have one.

13. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I could not get used to the handheld. Not sure why but it annoyed me more than anything so I jot the joystick and I like it alot better.

14. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I actually did start using the control left handed...worked ok ... til it was snowing and I had to run the wipers periodically. When I laid the controller down to turn the wipers on, the controller ended up on the floor a couple of times. I felt like I was always fumbling for it.

As for storage,I did mount the controller's receiver peg on the left side of the dash...thats where it rests out of the way when Im not running the plow.

I do like the idea of making a bracket for the left side that would extend it towards the seat. Ive also toyed with the idea of making a bracket, just forward of the door's arm rest that would receive the controllers handle. You could run the pad with your left hand's fingertips?

Lots of good ideas so far..

15. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

You have just been spoiled.:cool:

16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

17. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

The video is no longer available GV

18. 01CTD2500

01CTD2500 Member

GV's would work great with an automatic, exactly how I would do it, but with the stick its a pain in the ass tryin to hold the controler and shift at the same time.. i think anyway... just takes some getting used to I guess

19. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Im glad im not the only one that is annoyed by that...lol

I got the handheld and just hold it in my right hand, I love the handheld controllers..But if your running a manual trans . make a mount that goes on your shifter, thats what i did for the bronco..

[​IMG]

20. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You sure just tried it.:confused: