1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Plow experiences needed <<<<

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by scottL, Mar 27, 2007.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I'm narrowing down on one of two V-plows. I have been a long time customer of Sno-Way straight blade and have thought the world of it. However, I have heard a few grumblings on the the V-plows from Sno-Way. So, to be fair as possible, I'm looking for some straight insight into the plow as factual based as possible. The local dealers and reps in Illinois have not been able to provide insight if any information at all.

If your a Sno-Way V-plow owner or have been......
    Durability, maintenance, speed of operation, Ability to back drag, Ability to Stack...

THANKS!!!!!

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have been using a Sno Way V for 4 years and will NEVER go back to a straight blade. It makes plowing 3 times faster and clean-up is amazingly quick. It will stack as high as a straight blade and back dragging is improved due to the fact you are able to angle each side seperately. Durability and maintenence is the same. Spped of angling leaves a little to be desired as it is pretty slow. But like I said. V's forever. payup Tim

3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Dads going to buy a V plow :rolleyes: don't you think thats a little hight tech for you :eek: Have you looked into the Boss strait blade :drinkup:

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

10 years with a v. I will never go back to a straight blade by choice. The increased productivity far outweighs the dis-avantages.

I don't know snoway is the best but it works pretty well. It can be particular to set up. the initial adjustments are critical. The instructions are good but they don't deal with the changing ride attitude of the truck with ballast changes. If you set it up with-out the ballast load it will not clean well. Installation is the same, pin centers must be measured allowing for front-end ride height changes due to ballast loads. This holds true for all type and manufacturer plows straight or Vee.

I dig down pressure, on top of the obvious it's quiet and helps hold the blade down against "skiing" when you're moving piles.

They out stack straight blades but then all Vees do.

They back drag very well. Double acting cylinders really make a difference.

It's the same motor/pump set up as the straight blades with a different valve body. I use a push button controller instead of the double joystick. It's easier to work the wings individually. If you change the plow configuration by moving a single wing it's much faster, perhaps twice as fast. The down fall off the double acting cylinders is the amount of fluid the system has to move. Operating one wing requires 50% of the GPM as opposed to moving both together. So if I'm in scoop and want to straight blade right, I just retract the right wing. The only time I move both wings together is if I'm straight blading and want to discharge off the opposite side, something I rarely do.

I'm fond of my snoway vees and they've served me well, but I admit to having little snow storm operating experience with other brands. I repair other brands and will say I see little difference from one to another in durability or reliability. They all have their own little this and that.

IMO think the #1 swing vote should go to dealer reputation, the unit you can get the best reliable dealer support for is the better plow regardless of manufacturer.

5. scottL

Funny lad... have you gotten your bond card yet?

6. scottL

I've heard the speed being an issue many times over.

Is the speed moving a single wing or both wings at the same time different than the sno-way straight blades speed? By a second or two or by a bunch?

Thanks a Ton!!

7. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Roger :drinkup:

8. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

Scott...check your PM's

I agree with everyone else....I will never go back to a straight blade either...Just be sure to do you homework first...dont believe anyones advertising...seeing is believing

and like basher said....dealer support is the key.