1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-plow effectivness

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ALGS, Feb 17, 2007.

1. ALGS

ALGS Junior Member

So i have been considering getting the Xtreme-V next year when i add commercial snow removal. After watching the video on their website i noticed that the chain lift is used. Doesn't this miss some if the snow is packed down for some reason? how do you guys like the V-plow by fisher?

adam

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

what vehicle would this go on??

from what ive heard from people i know that have this...they love it!!

3. ALGS

ALGS Junior Member

mike,
    either a F-350 or 550.

adam

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't put the XtremeV on a 550, it's not designed to take the abuse it has the capability of putting out, the 350 would be the biggest ide put it on (or 3500).

also do a search in this fisher forum for XtremeV or just Xblade and youll get some more opinions on it and see problems that people have been having

just my .02

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  5. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

I put a 8.5' extreme V on my 2002 f250 and I its works great. I,ve heard about the same amount of issues for all the plow makes. Its like a car , 50 guys bought the same one but you only hear from the one guy who got a bad one (and he,s LOUD :D ). The best I can explain it is it works just like the ad states it does. Its easy to hook up , it cycles fast and the truck side mount gives you more ground clearance then the others. The only thing I would have done different would be to get the standard controller instead of the Fishstick. I,ve used the older style western and Meyer plows and I just got used to a permanent mount for the controls (I,m a little old school I guess ) .

100_0879.jpg

6. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

After going through the V-day storm ( my first time using the new plow, 6-8" snow,1.5" rain then quick freeze) it performed like a champ! I opened up driveways with 6" deep frozen cement days after by using the V position to open a path then pushing off to the side. I don't think I could have done this with a straight blade. The scoop position made it easier to push piles and clean up. My dealer suggested the joystick mounted to the left of the steering wheel and it worked out great.
    I am convinced that the extra cost of a V is worth every penny.

7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I watched guys get the V plows for years, and I laughed thinking they were all foolish for spending more money for no good reason. SO I THOUGHT, anyway! I had never really considered the various scoop methods of operation, which is what I would now say has to be the biggest asset. I'm definitely going to try for a Fisher V on the next truck (though the next truck might be a Tahoe, so it might not be on that one!). So my apologies to everyone I've secretly laughed at up til probably 6 months ago! :salute:

~Kevin

8. ALGS

ALGS Junior Member

Do you guys think the 550 would be to powerful for the 9.5 foot plow? i never knew you could have too much power.

9. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

NO, I don't...I have a 9.5 MVP on my F450 Crew Cab Dually and have pushed some serious snow and (lately) ice. It has held up quite well and I have NEVER had a problem with this plow. I can't say the same for the Meyer plows that I have had in the past. Anyway, the 450 and 550 are the same except a little higher payload.

Here's a pic and I would highly recommend this plow, especially with the Ultra Mount hook up. JMO.

Don't get me wrong, you can beat any plow beyond it's expected use, but mine has held up just fine with this truck.

F450 Truck with Plow and Spreader.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  10. Bachand

Bachand Junior Member

Is that a spreader you havec in the front?

11. ALGS

ALGS Junior Member

Is the ultra mount the same as that minute mount system. the minute mount looks really easy to hook up.

adam

12. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

at work we have a 9' 6" fisher on a 550 dump the thing plows like a tank i really like the setup

13. ATWE

ATWE Junior Member
    from Chicago

I love mine, and would never even consider going back to a straight blade. We do a lot of very large commercial/corporate campus jobs and the time saved with the V is awesome. I've had an 8'6" Fisher V on a '03 2500 Ram for 4 years now. Never had any problems until this weekend when the controller went out. I wouldn't be too concerned about the weight on these, the only mod I did was add the Timbren Load Boosters to the front end, made a huge difference.

14. Lawnscape89

Sorry, that's not a spreader on the front. Actually, it's a wheel barrow in the background.:)

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No, their two completely different setup's but Ultramount is just as quick and easy as the Minute mount to connect and disconnect. If you like the MM you'll like the Ultra too.

16. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Couple questions guys... To ATWE, what are the Timbren Load Boosters? What do they do?

Also with the V plows... and correct me if I am wrong... They have button to go to full scoop or full V, correct? And you can move each wing separately? Do they have a button to put you back to straight? Or do you just do it manually and by eye?

I would assume with the V plow, there are times that you'd use it like a straight blade when rolling continuous rows off to one side, like when clearing a lot, no? Can you always scoop a full blade with? Like in 12" of snow? Or will you kill the blade and truck?

Does anyone use Vplows with wings? Or is it pointless with the scoop ability?

17. Lawnscape89

I have the new controller with my MVP. I have a Scoop and Vee buttons, I have individual buttons for both wings, then there are Up, Down, Left and Right. There is not a button specifically for moving the plow to a straight positon. This is accomplished with the use of the individual Wing Button.

You can also do a "Dog Leg", which has one side completely forward and the other wing is straight out. This kinda "shoots" the snow for windrowing, further than just a straight angle. One cool feature of the Dog Leg is that you can leave it in that position and by using the left or right buttons, the plow stays in postion as you change the angle.

A little confusing, but I hope you understand.

As far as 12" inches killing the plow, forgetaboutit...LOL. My wings stay in the scoop postion and very rarely loose position. This is great when stacking. As far as the truck goes, I guess that would depend on which truck you are using.

Hope that helps.

18. ATWE

ATWE Junior Member
    from Chicago

Timbren Load Boosters are just replacement suspension bumpers, very easy to install, and improved the ride both with and without the plow. Timbren.com is their website, I got mine through awdirect.com, best prices I could find by far. Lawnscape pretty much filled you in on maneuvering the wings. 12" of snow is never going to stand in your way, the only limitations with this plow is the truck it's attached to. Like lawnscape mentioned, this is an excellent plow for stacking. I was a little hesitant with the durability of this plow, but after 4 years and some accidental curb and manhole hits, still no damage. Good luck.

19. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Yeah i can see how a V plow can make one not look back... I've got a Western Pro Plus on my F350. Just bought the truck, it is a 2004, plow was new with it... Looking at new plows is confusing... There are so many products from each company...

Does anyone have experience with Sno Way? How is the down pressure system? Makes sense for scraping but what are the drawbacks... There must be some or every manufacturer would have down pressure...

I like fisher and know many local guys with them... The Western straight I have is not a bad plow. It hooks up as easy as a Fisher from what I can see... I've been looking at Blizzard too... And many are stating they have had Fisher V's and swear the Blizzard 8611, with the retractable wings kicks any V plows butt... plus heavier, better for scraping... I am so Confused now... The internet provides too much info... I am on overload! lol

Any more advice is appreciated...

20. ATWE

ATWE Junior Member
    from Chicago

I've never had a plow with a down pressure system. The only problem I could see is that technically it's not floating, you figure any crack or manhole cover you hit, you're going to feel it (I don't know how this would affect the truck either) Like I said, I've never had one. I love my fisher, but would consider other options if they arose. My way of looking at it is plows are a lot like wives...they last a good long time, which is kind of nice, ya know you don't have to worry about the initial investment constantly, but you don't get to try out very many either. The supplier I purchased my plows through uses and swears by blizzard, he's the only person I know with them and I'm a little concerned about the weight. A 1-ton or larger should have no problem with it. As far as the retractable wings kicking a v-plow....possibility. You figure when you have the v in full scoop you don't have the same amount of surface area as the blizzard would have. That's definitely something to think about. I know around Chicago the Blizzards go for 1500-2000 dollars more than the Fishers also. Good luck, let me know what you decide on.