1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v plow cutting edge broke

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by ProfessionalTou, Dec 18, 2005.

1. ProfessionalTou

ProfessionalTou Junior Member

My snow partner has a boss v 8'2 bought it last year.The last storm he hit something and broke 6 in. off the inside of his edge on one side.My question is should we buy poly edges or replace with the new steel edges that eliminate the hoof.Which has never been put back on since it broke off. Is poly really that much better? What makes it so great over the steel?Is their a good place to buy the poly from.Thanks Jason

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Welcome to the broken cutting edge club from the Boss V owners of america.I have had 3 broken edges in 6 years. I put a ureathane edge on last winter.I really dont like it, doesnt scrape as well. But at least it bounces over man hole covers now. I did tear a chunk off the U edge last year on the outer corner. About 4 or 5 inches long.When its shot I will be putting the steel edges back on.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I just put a set of the new cutting edges on, the ones that eliminate the "hoof".

Personally I wouldn't have a plow without them anymore.

It also has the built in curb guards, so it's nice because when you're running along the curbs, and you come to a cutout for the gutter, your plow doesn't want to catch anymore.

4. ProfessionalTou

Sound like we need to buy the new steel edges.Thanks for the help.

5. ProfessionalTou

WoW... I just orded the new steel edges $150 ea.Does this price seem right?Order from Kalida truck in OH

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Yah, the new style, here in MN, was about $135 each side.

You have to remember though, that if you break that middle "hoof" off, that's downtime.

IMO, it's no different than all the preventive maintenance.

Again though, it really only makes sense if you NEED new cutting edges, if not, then it's a toss up.

7. ProfessionalTou

Couple pics of new edge..First time posting pic.

bossedge.jpg

bossedge1.jpg

bossedge2.jpg

8. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

Thanks for the pictures, post how they work if it ever snows.