1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V plow controls

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by farmallkid48, Dec 19, 2009.

1. farmallkid48

farmallkid48 Junior Member

I'm just wondering if when using a V-plow, can you move each "wing" independently? or does it just straight blade/V back and frontwards if you will? never used a V-plow thinking on getting one when we find a new truck...

thanks for the help

Johnny

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you can. You can move each wing into different positions. Once you go v you don't go back.

3. farmallkid48

ok, thanks, we were pricing out plows for a 350 at a local dealer, the 8' V was 5600 installed and the straight plow with trip edge was like 4800, so we were thinking of just going with the V for the price... just wondering about the controls, only seen the joystick and whatnont in pictures, i do know they would be really useful for a couple of my driveways...

Thanks

Johnny

4. grandview

I like the hand held controller myself.

5. farmallkid48

is that the small one with push type buttons? not sure what we'll get for a plow anyways, depends on what we pay for a truck...

Johnny

6. grandview

7. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

Or this. Both are great. I mean its Boss :salute:
    [​IMG]

8. farmallkid48

ok, thanks, that's what i thought it looked like...

Johnny

9. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Bought my first V last winter... My dealer told me it would take a time or two out to get used to the controller... He was wrong!... Only took a lot or two!

I also got the hand controller...biggest thing was getting a comfortable mounting position for it. After using the V for a full year there is NO WAY I'd ever go back!

10. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

I took the handle off my v-blade controller and mounted it to the bottom of a glass turned upside down in my cupholder. I can run the controller with 2 fingers now instead of my thumb....Love it

11. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

At first I didnt like the hand held. Holding it with the attached strap around my hand, made reaching the top two buttons difficult.

Heres how I ended up "mounting' mine..
    I hang it on the shift lever. I secure the controller by attaching a seperate velcro strap that is wrapped just below the shift lever.

[​IMG]

I run the controller by palming it with the shift lever. works great! And it will hang there all day. When Im done plowing for the day, I just mount it back on the dash 'button' that came with it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  12. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

So far I like mine the best of all the examples on the site.:nod:
    It is always at my finger tips.
    I don't have to fumble for it and I can't see holding it all night.
    [​IMG]

13. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i just finished the install of my first Boss V a week or so ago . i ordered it with the touch pad . but after playing with it for a day i orderd the joystick and just got it mounted yesterday ..and can't imagine anything nicer to work with. i'll keep the touchpad as a backup. i realize i'm in the minority but IMO the joystick is cool,
    steve

14. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Thats the beauty of forums like this... everyone has their own preference. Someone can take a look at a lot of different control and mounting options to see what might be best for them!

as for me... I'm sticking with my shift lever mounted, hand-held controller. Doesnt seem to get any easier than controlling the plow AND shifting without removing your hand.

15. farmallkid48

Wow, those are some great ideas, i like the idea of puttin on the shifter... definetly something to think about the auto shifter is a good idea too, but i hate resting my hand up there.... might take some getting used to, still not sure what kind of truck we're getting besides a for hopefully with a 7.3

Johnny

16. grandview

17. grandview

18. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Johnny,
    I dont keep my hand on the shifter all the time, but think about it, every time you push into a pile of snow you are lifting the plow at the same time you're shifting into reverse. . After you back up you have to shift from Rev to Forward, dropping the plow at the same time. Your hand has to be on the shifter anyway!

I've been plowing for over 30 years and have had many different truck and plow combos...All my other controls were mounted on the left side so I could run the plow with the left hand and shift with the right. This is the first time I've ever had the controls on the right. I like it the best of any of them. Plus, it cost a half a buck and takes a minute to install, so your not out much money or time if it doesnt work.

All of the ideas are good! I think the main thing is to get in a "groove/pattern" when shifting and controlling the plow that works best for you.

19. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I went back and looked at Grandviews video... I tried that last winter, my shifter was harder to work around my steering wheel...you definately make it look easy...like I was saying ...get in a groove/pattern that works for best you.

BTW, Steely Dan... Good Stuff! ...I think I was listening to that when I started plowing in the mid 70's!

20. farmallkid48

yeah, i definitely believe different things work for different people, personally i don't like auto's, been drivin/plowin with standards since I was 15 (only 19) so I'm not saying i'm anywhere near as experienced as most guys on here, if I got a standard I'd like the controls on the shifter, I drive with my left hand only, I have the controls on the left in my 1 ton and not a big fan of that, hard to drive standard and plow with alot of stop and go, i'd much rather have them on my right some place time and experience will tell

Johnny