1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v-plow comparison

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cgthoman, Nov 5, 2001.

1. cgthoman

cgthoman Junior Member
    from Maine

I am interested in any information , pro's and con's, to which Vplow is top dog on the market today. I am looking for info. on Boss V, Fisher V, Western V and Hiniker. I am interested in others opinions and facts on these products. The reason being, I am in the process of becoming a distributor for one of the above, that at this time I will not mention, for bias reasons. You can E-mail me at cgthoman@Yahoo.com. Any responses would be greatly apprectiated. The area of business is Lewiston/Auburn Maine.

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

If you do a search you'll find that most people here would say you can't go wrong with the first three, the last one......... just do the search and you'll know what I'm talking about.

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

There are only 2 V plows really:

The Boss: Around since the mid/late 80's: Heavy Duty and always making improvements. Big Drawback: No trip edge on V's: something they should be moving quickly to offering.

The Western/Fisher: Same company, same V plow except the hookup. Western offers 2 sizes, Fisher only 1. Their big advantage over the Boss is the trip edge.

The other brand mentioned is not comparable and should not be considered.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Fisher offers the V in 8.5 and 9.5 sizes. Personally it is the only V I would ever run. Some will tell you to go with a maker that has a dealer near you. With Fisher nothing breaks so no need to have a dealer near by. LOL that is my thinking but I would recommend a dealer near by.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Not true at all.
    Fisher has had some real teething issues with their v plow. 1st year out the a frames were redesigned, and I have seen so very many with bent moldboards, and box plates.
    The western while very similar to the fisher has several key design features that make it much more dusable IMO. Not the least of which is positive blade stops that transfers energy to the a frame rather than making the angle cyl, and box plates take all the abuse. Now fisher knows about this problem, and to my knowledge has done nothing to try and fix this. They are afraid that by beefing up that area, it will lead to more a frame failures.
    I have spoken with Charlie Hutteg many times from boss, and he helped design the original v plow for diamond, and he does not belive in trip edge plows for v plows. He said boss would never design one. He is like #2 in command at Boss, and I believe what he says.
    Dino

6. ddm

ddm Member

Dino, I would be curious to know why Boss is against the trip-edge design for the V plow if you know any of the reasoning. Do they feel the full trip is just a better design? I am not asking to speak for them of course, but maybe you have some insight behind their reasoning you would be comfortable sharing with us.

7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Boss is a little slow on the draw.

Took them 7 years to introduce a straight blade.

Another 7 to introduce a trip-edge straight blade.

Hopefully it won't be 7 more for a trip-edge V.

I know for a fact they lose V sales to Western. Boss is far too agressive to idly sit buy and let their competitors offer a product they don't.

It's just a matter of time.

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have had no problems with my Fisher V and it got abused a lot last winter.

I feel trip edge is the only way to go and I argued this point to the Boss rep at the BBQ. In the scoop position a Boss needs to trip releif valves for the blade to go stright and then trip. I just don't see this happening fast enough. A trip edge blade can work with the plow in any position.

Finally I think the dual acting cylinders are a much better design then using springs to snap a wing back.

I agree that for Boss to compete in the market in the Northeast I think they are going to have to make a trip edge V soon. For me I will stay with the Fisher. Currently IMO it is the best V on the market. My e-mail to Diamond brought no definitive answer on a V from them though I have heard from a dealer they have one in the works.

9. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We have 10 Boss V, and 9 Fisher V's - both are good products and we have no complaints. However, if you abuse anything it'll break.

10. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I beleive what Boss is concerned about is exactly the things fisher is dealing with.
    When designing the trip edge Diamond plow, in order to support the torque loads on the trip edge, more and more steel was added to the product to keep it straight. What was the end result was a plow that you needed a class 7 truck to mount it on.
    What fisher is seeing is that torque load transmitted to either the moldboard and or the a frame. Thus a fail point.
    What boss is in effect doing is transfering that load and energy to your truck. For my money I would rather have the plow fail than the truck.
    Then also you will here the argument that if you hit an obstacle taller than the trip edge, the plow cant trip. We all know that is bunk, yet reps spew it all the time.
    Boss came out with the trip edge straight plow for the NorthEast market to compete with fisher plows. Not really diamond or pathfinder as they dont represent a large enough market share.
    Obvoiusly there are two schools of thought on this, and I am with the Fisher/Western camp as far as trip edges andv plow are concerned. I just caution fisher owners that their v plow may not be as stout as the straight plow counterparts at fisher, and given a chaoice between a western or fisher v plow, I will take the western.
    Dino

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I always laugh about the reps claiming hitting something high with a full trip will still allow it to trip. Anything hit over the height of the A-frame pivots on a full trip will not allow the blade to trip. So that is a mute point. I think that it is inevitable that a trip edge V will come from Boss if they want to sell plows in New England.

12. peewee

peewee Member

I like the snoway lobo. Have you not considered this one? Worth a look.