1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v plow comparison-Western vs Boss

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jim@esitrucks, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

2. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

I knew I was happy with my Western, this guy proves me right.

3. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Would help if the boss was in float however...

4. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I don't own a plow and I have been sold on Boss for the longest, I am planning to purchase this year and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannn I am definitely calling my western dealer, after seeing that, I MIGHT have a change of heart, course it comes down to price :)... that video puts boss to shame, Im sorry

5. M & MD Lawn

And hey Jim, are all those features on the Western Standard??

6. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

Ill answer for him, they are. I know I have a sno-way and it will be the last trip blade V-plow I buy, its just brutal on everything. I have seen one of by buddies Boss plows after hitting something in scoop and its just not pretty. I think its a pain too when your straight blading and the blade don't move as one.
    Basically everything the movie said is true.

7. M & MD Lawn

Thanks Phil! I will be calling my western dealer, as my first plow and im "learning" those features are worth more than gold

8. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I swear my Boss V moves like a straight blade when you know how to use the controller.

9. M & MD Lawn

I can learn to use controller, im nore concerned with the trip, did u see that!

10. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Wow! I never thought the hydraulics on a Boss were that much slower than Western. That's embarrassing.

11. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

You see that in the cycle time the boss wasnt moved as one like the western, they kept stopping each wing.

12. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Please guys... It's a promo video, like the GM one where they dented the Ford's tailgate. Not shaming the Western V as I've used an MVP and it was a good plow for what it was. I've also seen a Boss V that was twisted up after hitting a raised manhole cover.

As for the speed, both them plows angle and raise faster than my blizzards, but my hydraulic cylinders are twice as big, and therefore much stronger. What you gain in speed you give up in strength. And for all we know, the truck with the MVP was running in the test (14v) and the truck with the boss was shut off (12.5 and dropping), or for all we know they put 30 weight oil in the boss to make the MVP look better.

Just saying, it's a Western promo video, so expect the boss to look bad. Had boss made the video, the western would look like a pile of junk.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I call BS. Don't use a competitors video to make up your mind.

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I agree with the above 2 posts. I run MVP's but it is a pro-Western vid. Boss plows are known for their response time, although the new Westerns have really stepped it up. The board strength is weaker on the Westerns, but the dual acting cyls and trip edge still sells me on Western.

Westerns are a real PIA to assemble and install compared to Boss, and Westerns mounts/harness compatibility are a joke in comparison too. Western harnesses are still as much of a PIA as they were years ago. Boss's plug and play for the most part.

I think it would be huge for Boss if they offered a trip edge and a deflector standard. I could live with single acting cyl's, especially smartlocks. I don't see why they don't........other brands have trip edges, and Boss used to offer them in straight blades.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  15. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

16. M & MD Lawn

I really like the trip, I could care less about the rest, bit I don't think I can fake that trip video

17. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

I bought a western MVP in jan and love every part of it.

18. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We run all Western for all those reasons highlighted...great video.

The Unimounts are a bit of a PITA to mount, but the Ultramounts are so easy even a monkey can do it (as per Westerns Ultramount video).

Every time my ex partner would be hooking up his Ultramount, everyone around him would make monkey sounds...and he'd get royally pissed (I think he had a complex of some sort)....good times. :drinkup:

19. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Boss still offers the straight blade trip edge. Deflectors are ONLY standard on the POLY MVP...
    Going from truck to truck...much much easier with Boss...13 pin wire harness same for v or straight blade...swap controller and go. Like h20 said...western wiring is a nightmare...3 plug harness for straight blade and 2 for mvp and wideout? WTH?? That being said, the western is a great plow no doubt about it!
    And most dont know it...but so is the Meyer Super V2....just too pricey. But the Snow Dogg V is a trip edge plow too for ALOT cheaper. All of the plows have they're good and bad points. I will say this....I wouldnt expect Boss to sit around and do nothing.....:)

20. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Not true...most guys dont use the controller right...nor do they in the video. If you hold both bottons on one side and the same time...which is easy to do...the plow will act just like a straight blade