1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v plow choice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by White Oak, Jan 21, 2011.

1. White Oak

White Oak Member

I know this has probably been discussed at lenght. But I have plowed with a meyers straigh blade with wings for ten years and a blizzard speed wing for 5 Lots of heavy snow hear this year and a v plow would be handy. Would be mounting on chevy 2500 with 6.5 diesel. Which brand would be the lightest and simplest of the v plow designs?
  2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

You will get many different answers.....What Dealers do you have near you????....I see you have a Meyers...Did you look at their "V"....

You will get guys on here saying Boss is the Best....Others will say Fisher, Western Etc...

Look for a Dealer thats gonna support the Product they sell.....:salute:
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, you need dealer support more than anything else.

I do have a question though. Why are you worried about the lightest plow? I have aq Boss 9.2 V plow on my 1995 Chevy 2500 with a 6.5 diesel, and it handles it just fine. I haven't had any problems at all with it.
  4. White Oak

White Oak Member

I wanted the lightes because I live on long island and plow upperscale drives, lots of gravel no hard freezes. My meyers has prowings and u edges I can plow right onto grass without ripping it up. I gues second question is can you put a u edge on a trip action ve plow.
  5. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

I would stick with that speed wing. I plow with a v and ya they are handy sometimes, but the scraping on them isnt very good at all even with a new edge. In Scoop you cant haul that much snow before it spills out and in scoop the scrap is really bad. Im looking at getting a containment plow like a speed wing. Thats just my opinion though. IF you do decide to go with a v, id look at the boss plows they are nice.
  6. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Like others have said it depends really on preference, dealer support and price. I just bought a new v this fall and researched long and hard to find the one I thought had the best features and would work for me. I have been plowing now for 11 years and have run sno way, boss v and blizzard. Out of those three you can't beat a blizzard for moving large amounts of snow in a hurry. I ended up going with a hiniker 9.5' v. I liked the trip edge, hook up is the fastest among anyone, and the price was about $1200 below a 8.5' boss v xt. I love the way the hiniker plows. Scraps down very well, the trip edge is awesome and it only weighs like 860# I believe. Just do research on the ones in your area and call around and get prices and go from there. I will say the boss plows are nice but the dealer here in Indiana is just stupid with his prices. The sno way are junk. And like I said blizzard is just a beast that is probably to heavy for your 2500 anyway unless you go with a speedwing.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A V will carry ALOT of snow and wont tear up any more grass or gravel then a blade with wings will
    Get a Boss V