1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Plow Backdrag Blades and Gravel helper add ons

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daner, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Back Draging with our new style V Plows...anyone here of a back drag edge for a V plow?...Lets Design one.
    Plowing Gravel with a V plow...We all no what thats like...there are all diff ways and tricks to do that stuff...But Has anyone put the pipe thing on there V Plow?...how about the old angle Iron trick...Help me with some Ideas and I will build and post pics.
    I know alot of you need to back drag and also do gravel that run a V plows on your trucks...All your ideas are welcome
    Daner /SIZE]
  2. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

OK Daner i'll bite. What's the pipe thing for v plows?

Back Drag & Gravel Blade

Front cutting edge angles wrong way and slides over snow in reverse
    wings sag forward when backdraging
    gravel gets caught and pushed when plowing forward
    operates from cab, no need to get out to operate it

anything else?

Other solutions

Hiniker went to a top-fold-over-with-cutting-edge system
    others have a second reverse angle cutting edge

blade with the standard spring loaded trip edge.
    pull against the spring until the cutting edge is pointing backwards (hydraulic?)
    When 4 foot cutting edges are activated for backdragging they lock together to form an 8 foot straight cutting edge like the fingers of your hand interlocking to form one large 'hand'

adjustible skid shoes that raise and lower, again hydraulic?
    shoes rotate raising and lowering like a bolt/screw but only quarter turn which buys an inch of clearance

This allows the blade to skim on the skid shoes over the gravel in float position

I haven't figured out the mechanics of this yet

I've got a 1993 V Boss lying useless in the yard in Kitchener right now
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

sounds like more expensive moving parts to break/jam/freeze up in a storm.

If you were really concerned with doing gravel and having a backdrag blade, etc... I would fab up some hydraulic plow shoes that can be lowered from the cab. You could use the bobtach hydraulic system off a skidsteer.
  4. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

5. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict