1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-plow backdrag blade..............Why is there not one?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by wkahler, Jan 31, 2009.

1. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

If there is a reliable one out there it would be so great for back dragging residentials. If someone knows of one that is available e-mail me. I have found one out there but didn't get any good reviews from what i heard, http://shop.backdragsnow.com/category.sc?categoryId=3 If you are a fabricator make one that works and you will not be short on business payup .............. billk726@aol.com :help:
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. lesedwards

lesedwards Member

Before I bought my used Boss V Plow I was looking at a new Western and I was going to get it with a Back Drag Blade on it. I was really looking forward to that for some of the hard to get into spots residential & commercial. I will check things out.
  3. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I was going to buy that backdrage edge, but I never have a problem. If there is only a couple inches of snow I drop the plow as I drive in and then raise it before I get to the end and let the blade pass over the pile and then drag it out leaving clean asphalt/concrete. If there over 4 inches, I leave the blade up and back drag then repeat plowing the snow in as I do a second pass. If I still did as many driveways as I did last year I would probably have the BD edge so when the snow is deep I can only make one pass, but I only do 3 now.
  4. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

LOL well i do....................38+/- LOL
  5. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

There are a few locals around here that have backdrags on their v plows. Some have a hinged backdrag and some have overlapping backdrags. If I see one again, Ill try and remember to take a pic.
  6. boonman

boonman Junior Member

No need for a special blade, when you have downpressure. One switch, one extra wire at the plow connection, simple hookup, and when armed with the switch, it engages as soon as you hit "down" on your controller, disengages when you hit up. pretty sweet for the wetter, heavier snowfalls when the weight of the plow won't cut in.
  7. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

Can you describe this "down pressure" wire and switch for Boss. I would like to check this out.
  8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I was thinking of making one for mine. i was thinking of the fixed one. i am more then sure you can buy one for another manu. and make it work for your V. Other v blades are 8' 6" or 9' 6", a Boss V is 8'2" and 9'2" so you will have to cut it down to make it work. Do a search here on PS there is alot of good reading and pictures of them. Look up GRN MTN, he has a hinged BD edge on his, but he has it on a 8' Fisher.
  9. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

You already have one. My older RT 2 has one, I know yours does.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  10. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

He is speaking of the switch used in releasing the pressure and weight off the plow when disengaging the coupling mechanism from the truck.

You already have this switch on the tower and you can actually try it out and play with it the next time you have some snow.

Works like a charm.
  11. boonman

boonman Junior Member

Too funny. Actually, what I am speaking of a switch in the cab, mounted wherever you want to mount it. When "armed", with the system installed, whenever you select down on the controller, (by pressing the down button) the hydraulic pump turns on, and pushes fluid to the proper cylinder, and pushes the plow blade into the ground. You don't have to get out of the truck and run along side it while your buddy backs up. It is all done from in the cab. I've built several setups. I just have to take a picture apparently. But, it is one wire from the truck to the plow, a relay inside the plow tower, and a "black box" inside the truck along with a switch on the dash. I can't really think of what a picture would help with unless you're trying to install it. wesport But either way, it works, and works well.
  12. boonman

boonman Junior Member

I'm gonna go the the shop right now, and take the box down from under the dash, so I can snap a pic of it. Then, I will take a pic of the switch on the dash, and then one of my controller. I will also take a pic of the connector on the bumper, next to the other factory Boss connector. I don't feel like taking a pic of the relay in the tower, because it is packed with snow and I don't feel like digging it out. But I can take a pic of a new relay. Maybe I'll even put some wires on it to make it look official. If I get around to it, I'll take a video of it in operation. Just to put the thing to rest. I did go and read some of the older threads about this topic, and man oh man, some funny stuff!!!! Folks are touchy about this subject. But fact of the matter is that it isn't factory from Boss. It's aftermarket. Designed by me.
  13. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Junior Member

Ever looked into a back plow? I bought mine 2 years ago and love it! Cut my time almost in half and does such a nice job with my BOSS 7'6" straight blade on the front. I do 55 residential drives now.
  14. lesedwards

lesedwards Member

I have never looked at one. I have seen guys on here talking about them but I guess my question is how do you know how close you are to someones garage door and also it makes the truck that much longer. I have a GMC Crew cab with a 8'-2" V Blade and the truck is big enough without adding anything else to the back.

15. boonman

boonman Junior Member

Here are the pics. First one is the box. Don't mind the other wiring there, it's for other things. The box with four screws. Houses the relays needed. Second pic is of the connector, it's a simple bullet connector. I need to get something more weathertight. Last is the toggle on the dash to arm the system. Enjoy them, before they get pulled, or I get my pee pee slapped for some sort of infringement or something. I'm not trying to market it or anything. But this is what I did....

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  16. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

so what gets hooked up?

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

yes please elaborate more
  18. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I wasn't telling this to you boonman, I was actually talking to madmaxxxx who hasn't wired up an in cab switch yet. If he wanted to see IF he wanted to go to the trouble of wiring up a switch he could TRY out the feature his plow already has, then make a decision to go to the relays and switches and whatnot.
  19. boonman

boonman Junior Member

Oh. I gotcha. Cool. Anyways, what gets hooked up is a signal wire from the Factory Boss harness, a 12V+ wire, a ground wire, a wire from the switch, a wire to the plow frame, a relay inside the plow tower. it's a bit more complicated, but basically, when you turn the switch on and engage "float" on your controller, it is wired to engage the pump and act as if you are flipping the switch to power the tower onto the truck. I guess it could be simplified without relays if you just wanted to hit the switch all the time, but it would require alot more wires to be run into the cab. With the setup I have made, it's one wire to connect every time you put the plow on or off. Along with engaging the system with the controller once the switch is on. I didn't want something complicated in the cab. When you want to backdrag, you pull in, turn the switch on. As soon as you hold the plow button for the "down" function, and it locks into float, the system is running the pump, and flowing fluid to the cylinder to push the plow into the ground. When you want to pick the plow up, you tap the "up" button, and the system disengages and the controller resumes normal operation, untill you hit down again. It is a very simple to operate system once installed. If you want downpressure, turn it on, if you don't, leave it off. plain and simple. no nonsense. I love it.
  20. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

Have you had any problems with the pumping running all the time, or is it still that new? My only concern would be that you could wear the pump out prematurely, and also, with downpressure comes a lot more problems throughout the plow due to the added stress.