1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v plow and speedbumps

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Evanbrendel, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

i plow a trailer park and with the strait blade i have now i have no probeblem cruising rite over the speedbumps. with a v plow in the v postion will it have a probeblem in flot going over them like i do now? i am considering buying a western mvp plus but i am considering others as well.

2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

my boss V will trip even in v mode. It will be a lil harder yes. Scoop mode wont trip unless your driving into a pile of snow stacking. id say that a trip edge might be your best bet with speedbumps.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's going to go over them in float no problem. How sharp are they? Do you sometimes trip your plow?

4. Evanbrendel

sometimes they trip it but im cruzing thru there pretty good they are pretty round as they are real old. also western is pretty much my only choice since the dealer is about 10 minutes away and the boss dealer is 40 miles. i realy cant make up my mind if i want a wideout or a 8.5 mvp trying to weight all pros and cons.

5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i would be really careful if you get a wideout. if you cruise through there as is, i would slow down considerably. Those wings are not built as heavily as the main moldboard and one good hit, especially if you have the blade angled and the wing will hit the speed bump perpendicularly, will completely tweak the wing. although wideouts have poly wing edges, my blizzard has steel edges.

6. Evanbrendel

thanks for the info leaning further towards the mvp for my application as i have 3 trailer parks and the western dealer i spoke with refuses to warranty any part of the plow if it isnt recommended for that truck.

7. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

One thing about fisher/western is the trip edge design. Trips in scoop, V, or straight, don't matter.

8. Evanbrendel

any ideas how it would hold up with wings in straight angled for the 2nd and 3rd pass thru? not for sure on wings yet seem pretty expensive for not being able to stack with.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You need a new dealer. He has been fully trained in the DD mantra "it's abuse, it's not covered"

Don't count on it. I hit a driveway cut in vee. Brought the truck (10K or so) to a dead stop. Hit my head on the steering wheel and blacked out. My wife had sores from the seat belt. Bent the formed cutting edge. And I was not going fast at all. In that particular instance a Boss or Snoway Vee would have tripped.

The wings have a soft "cutting" edge that should roll up over the speed bumps no problem.

I know you're leaning Western because of dealer proximity. But he has already demonstrated that he's never going to stick up for you. I could see him having issues if you put an MVP or Wideout on a 7500 or something, but not a truck that is deemed "too small". I would strongly encourage to spend time here searching Boss vs. Western and Fisher blades. If you search for stuff like pin, wing, hinge, boss, xv, under my username you will have hours of reading.

That 40 miles might not seem like such a big deal after all.

10. Evanbrendel

yes im talking to them also but i never go that way so im not to sure, the western dealer in qustion is a knapheide truck center.

11. EXTREMEV

EXTREMEV Junior Member

Seems like every post you make your running down the xtreme v, If you dont like it go buy a boss plow or snoway. After reading all the stuff you have ran into like the tree im not suprised you have had problems with your blade. We have 4 year old extreme v's that have been great and they DO trip in all positions unlike boss in scoop.

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You're wrong there, I've tripped my Boss in scoop.

Hard thwap....but it happens.

13. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

What does thwap mean:confused::dizzy::laughing:

14. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Is that the same as Doink......:confused:

15. Evanbrendel

kinda like bong?

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

No, like boing.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you really read all my posts, you would see that I have only stated facts about my plow, and the problems I have had with it. You would also know that I praised the strength of the plow after hitting the tree. Or did you miss that?

Also, it's not like I'm the only one having pin problems. And Western, Blizzard, and Fisher owners are all experiencing poor fit and finish, lousy welds, and most fun of all, Douglas Dynamics and their "Shove it" attitude.

I'm glad you have had success with your plows. I hope you continue to do so.

I am not going to engage you anymore on this thread about my opinions of DD products. Just trying to help Evan make an educated decision. If you would like to continue to talk about it, leave a note on my visitor page, or reply to one of the other threads. Thank you.

18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

greater than...

No need to be a dick EXTREAMEV.

19. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Have you had a Boss V? and it did NOT trip in scoop. I bet you haven't even had a Boss V :rolleyes:

I have a Boss V and it defiantly TRIPS in SCOOP and V, and strait, and angled.

20. EXTREMEV

EXTREMEV Junior Member

sure did, had a xt 2 years ago, i didnt like it so i moved on.