1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v or wide out

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by murphy4trees, Feb 2, 2011.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 4 door pick up, Cummins diesel, with the 8' bed.

I have an appointment at Perkiomen Performance next week to install a new Western. I have til then to decide if its going to be a V blade or a wide out.

I have one school parking lot, which is small for a school, maybe fits 100 cars. All the rest of my lots are small, maybe 20-40 cars. Then there are about 110 driveways, of which many are extremely tight. I now run 5 plow trucks, which are 4 Dodge Ram Chargers ('87-'90, 2 doors) and a 2000 F250 with the 7.3 diesel and a snow-x 1075 tailgate spreader.

I never really wanted to plow with the 4 door Dodge Pick up cause its such a canoe... I've had the truck for 2 or three years. With all the snow we've had this year, I think it would be good to have another reliable truck pushing. We put on a bunch of new driveways at top dollar, and customers seem to have less and less patience every year.. I've been able to break out early and hit the driveways at, or even just before snow stop, because I know the commercials will get handled well without me, but if we had one or two trucks go down on a big snow, that might not be the case.

So the thought for now, is to have another reliable truck to do the commercials and in case of emergency, help out with the driveways. Then try to get some bigger lots or condos etc, next year. I have to decide between the 8' wide out and the 8.5' V. Money is not a concern.

With the V, I know that the 2500 can be used to cut a path for driveways, on a really deep and heavy snow, which are rare around Philly, but seems to be happening more often over the last two winters. That could help the the ram chargers get started on the drives, though might be just as good to get 4 chains for each truck.

I AM definitely going with a Western. If we go with the 8.5' V, I'll get wings for it...

Any thoughts????

Thanks

2. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

When I bought my V blade (going to it from a Western Pro Plus with wings), every dealer I spoke with said V blade in the fleet first, then a Wide Out. You get wings for your V blade and it will do everything a wide out can do but will then also be able to do a lot more.

3. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

mvp with wings is what i would choose

4. Montosi82

Montosi82 Member

Getting a new F-350 extended cab this summer and having the same debate. I will say i'm leaning toward a V though. Don't know if it helps.

5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

why is there seem to be a thread about this popping up every week?

6. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

If you have no V's, then now would be a good time to consider it. They don't do as well on large lots, IMHO, but they suffice, and offer some unique benefits for odd situations. You didn't mention what type of plows you run on the other trucks, but it would be handy to be able to swap plows with one of the smaller trucks for opening up the driveways. No sense in taking a 160" WB truck into a driveway (I also have an '04 QC/LB 2500--I know) if you can use a shorty.

Keep the limos in the parking lots.

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have both. And I will tell you the XLS is more productive then the 8.5 EXV. No Need for anyone else to answer the question as I can debunk anyone others answer with my real world experience. And if you put wings on the 8.5 and set up a course that has the exact same layout of commercial lots and a few driveways of various size and lengths the XLS will come out on top. Plus how often do you get huge snowfalls that the v is going to help you out. The last two years in Philly have been an anomaly and are not par for the weather patterns you incur in that area of the US. Next plow I buy again will be another XLS.

8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Surely you're mistaken Aaron. :laughing:

9. mikegooseman

mikegooseman Senior Member

plows..

I have plowed with both side by side last night, I have the 8-10 wideout, and my buddy has the fisher 9`6 stainless...... on 6 inches of snow baby, I can give you his number and when he stops complaining of the spanking I gave him, he will tell you The wideout by far is a better plow!!
    Just an FYI both plows are 3 months old now , meaning one is not newer than the other..

:salute:

10. yamahagrizzly

yamahagrizzly Member

every plow has its place. ive never used a wide out but ive seen them in action. i like them and if i did allot of parking lots/ open areas i would get one.
    i like my v for driveways. at a development i plow i do a few drives and a some other guy has a wide out. i would rather have my v imo no advantage in drives with the wide out.

i saw a wide out in a parking lot last storm and i was very impressed.

11. mikegooseman

plows..

Sorry I should have been more specific, I don't do residential drives, I do a few retail plazas, and the rest are industrial, so that is how we determined the performance of both plows, in my projects the wide-out is king... and I agree for home driveways the v-blade is a smart choice, but this is why we have both !! LOL :drinkup:

12. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

2 things, 1 go with a V. Way more versatile. 2 go with a fisher, they use same pump and harness but lift higher (better stacking) and use bigger cylinders (move faster and stronger) and beter built mold board supports

13. mikegooseman

Ok here are my 2 things....LOL 1) Fisher...Western same thing , the hydraulics on the wideout are faster( my dealer sells both and thats what they say)
    2) like we agreed before all plows and attachments have thier place for different applications
    I love the fisher 9``6 stainless but side by side the v-blade is always doing that second or third pass to clean up his over spill......and that my good friend is time.....and time is money! on 2 inches there are equal , but in bigger,wide open areas, with 6 inches totally different story. We joked about it all night......hats off to western and fisher both the best on the market....IMO wesport

14. dltcplow

dltcplow Junior Member

v plow for sure

we have been in business now for 30 years and just purchased 6 new f 350s with fisher v blades, they have been a god send with the heavy snow, and also great for scraping ice and frozen junk. consider them over wide out much more versatilty.

15. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Being that we both live in the same region and get the same type of snowfall I will give you my opinion.

V's are great for opening up deep drifted driveways. Good for stacking and scooping snow.

The wideout (although I would purchase the Blizzard or the XLS first) is great for the lots you plow. Rarely do we get the real deep snows that the V would come in handy for. I personally have only found one instance were it would have helped. The wideout will also come in handy for the tight areas.... Being able to go from 10' down to 8' is a big plus.

That being said if I had 110 driveways, I would have a V on the front and a ebling pull plow on the back.

Perk performance is expensive. I would recommend Storks Auto in Bernville. 610-488-1450

My final thought is if you are using this truck for the parking lots get and 810/Wideout/XLS, otherwise it really doesn't matter.

16. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

fisher and western use theme pump and harness. after that they are way different. with that aside. it depends on where u live. here in buffalo they experiance ive had with the xls is that with a real heavy snow (we get that alot) it tends to stop the truck is it isnt a heavy truck ;ike a 1ton loaded to max. where the v u can dump a lil off anf go. i really like the xls and if i lives else where id prolly go with that.

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

18. Westhardt Corp.

19. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

20. Westhardt Corp.

Excellent, a 1,600# plow!

Will that be approved for diesel 2500 applications?

:laughing: