1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v or straight plow for a 08 f150

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by colclaed, Feb 2, 2014.

1. colclaed

colclaed Junior Member

I am looking for plow options for my 08 f150 crew short bed. I will be using this setup for my driveway and for clearing a spot on the lake for my ice house. Some of the lakes I go to are a hour or two away so handling on the road is important. I will not be doing any commercial plowing with it. I plan on adding air bags to the front end to help with the weight. I know that this setup is not as strong as a 3/4 ton, but I can't justify buying one for the little plowing i will do.

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

If that were my truck I wouldn't even consider putting a v plow on it. Way too much weight hanging off the front of a half-ton. Especially if it would be bouncing around on your trek to your ice fishing spot. I'd just go with any of the half-ton straight blades that Snowdogg, Western, Fisher or Meyer have.

3. colclaed

colclaed Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, I was only thinking v so that i could more easily punch through the side of the ice roads to make a new path to my spot.

4. JustJeff

I completely understand your logic, because a v is truly a much more versatile plow compared to a straight blade, but considering your application, just your own driveway and clearing a path on the lake, a straight blade will be sufficient. Here are a couple of links to plows that would work well on your truck. I own a Snowdogg, and love it. It's priced way less than competitor's comparable models, and the stainless will never rust or look like crap the way the painted/powercoated ones do. http://www.centralparts.com/Equipme...80-medium-duty-straight-blade-snowplow/24565/ and http://www.centralparts.com/Equipme...s-snowplow-half-ton-series-ultra-mount/21658/. These are comparable plows, and both would work well on your truck, but you see the price difference? Some people on here say "you get what you pay for", but they say that out of ignorance because they haven't tried a Snowdogg. It's a very reliable, solid plow.

5. colclaed

colclaed Junior Member

thanks again

6. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Id try to get a 7'6 straight blade especially if you will traveling a lot with it. If you wont be doing much plowing it will be lighter on the front end.

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

They make several vs for half tons

8. JustJeff

This is true, but if you read their applications, they always say "for plow-prepped" half-ton trucks. Meaning heavier springs etc... If you check the weight of them, they're still much heavier than a straight blade is. I was going to put a Snowdogg VMD on my half-ton Dodge, but after seeing how much it weighed, I just traded it for a 3/4 ton and went with a commercial grade plow. In this gentleman's case, since he's not plowing commercially or anything close to that a v is just too much weight for his truck (in my own opinion of course), but I've seen some people do it, just not many, and they're usually older half-tons with live axles in the front vs. IFS.

9. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

We had a pro plus on an 09 150. It was fine.

I wouldn't worry about it. Toss a set of timbrens on it and haveat it. There is no "plow prep" from factory for half tons.

10. JustJeff

You're right, but I think they used to make a plow-prep for half-tons, didn't they? Anyway, if you look at Snowdogg's site their VMD says it's made for "plow-prep" half-ton trucks. Basically saying it's for a three quarter ton.

11. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

They used to have HD 1/2 ton fords. They had 7 lug wheels. And Chevy had 1500hd. Dodge never had anything.

That being said. They still weren't plow prep lol. All plow prep is generally is a heavier fan clutch.

Most front ends are identical. Some have heavier springs, or slightly bigger torsion bars. Chevy's you can just crank bars. Ford you can use timbrens or a leveling kit.

12. ColliCut

ColliCut Member

If you can afford it, a small V would work great and would make it easier to maneuver the truck during transport. If you go with a straight blade, definitely stick with a 7.5 foot for that much traveling. Even with a 7.5, you'll still find yourself angling the plow back and forth just to get into/out of some parking lots, which is where the V would be nice.

13. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Meyer super v ld will work on your truck. It only weighs 582# compared to snowdogg's 700+ pounds.

14. colclaed

colclaed Junior Member

Thanks for all the input guys

15. djr623

djr623 Member

I'm subscribed,I want to see you go with a dogg v plow. Just for selfish reasons,I have an 06 and would love a dogg v!