1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"V" or Straight/Need advice??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by truszip, Nov 10, 2003.

1. truszip

truszip Junior Member

First time posting on this board. I'm considering buying a plow for mostly clearing my driveway, Hopefully if the demand merit's it I way wish to do some business on the side also. Anyway; I live on a farm with about a 1/2 mile gravel driveway, what would be the best choice for such a lane way - a "V" or a straight blade? As I can't get to close to the sides because the driveway drops off I'm unsure as to which would be the better choice. I'm thinking a "V" as I can drive down the center and then go back and push the snow off on each side?? Also; because the driveway is surrounded by open fields the wind can really pound and pack the snow pretty hard and deep. In the past I've always used a 8" twin auger snowblower on the back of my tractor or a scraper blade but those practices's are wearing pretty thin on me. I do have a 97- F350 Diesel truck. Thanks for any help.
  2. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

If money is not a major factor, I would go with the v. It would work better with deep snow and drifts.
  3. Joe3113

Joe3113 Member

Welcome to Plowsite :waving:

I would go with either a V-plow or a Blizzard 810 plow if money is not a concern.
  4. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I would look at the V, but you might want to consider a straight blade and a sidewing, especially since you say the driveway drops off the sidewing will allow you to move the snow off over the drop off. If you get a lot of snow you can also bench the banks off, by raising the plow, and taking the tops off the banks. http://www.sidewing.net

5. truszip

truszip Junior Member

Doing some home work on this site, it's recommended that when choosing a plow you also consider the repair and service of the thing. In my area there's only one dealer and he deals in western and Fisher plows. I'm leaning towards the "V" plow and while checking into the thing the dealers tell me that the Fisher is a few hundered bucks more even though the two companies are sister companies. I'm thinking it's probably a preference thing but having no experience with plows which then would be the better choice - Western or Fisher? Thanks.
  6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

When it comes to 8.5' v plows, the western v is the way to go. Fisher has to many creasing issues with both the 8.5 and 9.5 v plow. I have a 6 y/o MVP plow that aside from paint, looks like the day I bought it.
  7. Joe3113

Joe3113 Member

Both the Western and Fisher V-plows have good reputations on this site I have never used either, but I would say you should visit each dealer check out both plows to see how easy each attaches to the truck, the ease of use of the controller, and most important check out which dealer offers the best support.

Just my 2 cents