1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V or staight blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ECS, Jan 3, 2006.

1. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I have seen this question asked a lot of times. I have a Boss 8.2 V and would never go back to a straight blade again. We get a lot of snow and a lot of drifts here, and a V blade can do what a straight can not do. The pictures below are from today, where the snow was higher than my blade. In situations like this, the V blade is the only way to go. I have done drives like this with a straight blade and it litterally took hours to fight your way through. Even with the V blade, sometimes it is tough, but it can at least be done with one pass to open it up.

2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Looks like the V-Plow does a great job for you!!:waving:
  3. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

What an AWESOME picture!:salute:
    I am not only jealous of the scenery, but how much snow you get to go out and push around:redbounce .
  4. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Here is the average for in town. Where I plow is normally 2-3 times what the town gets. Today was anywhere from 10" to over two feet.

5. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

ECS, where'd you get the stats? I think you are getting more than we are 70 miles to the south. Too much rain. I've never seen rain here in December, and we've had 5 days of it this month.
  6. ECS

ECS Senior Member

mmwb, the stats are from http://www.mountainweather.com
    We had a very cold begining of December, as you probably did too, followed by lots of rain as you mentioned. I ended up with 7 plow events in December. Since Christmas I have had 4 plow days. Got hammered last night up here. Are you down in Afton?
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Excellent pictures. I could show you some similar ones from around here, except that the high areas are brown mud and green grass, and the low areas are ruts!!! :jester:

I was just waiting for someone to post saying you need to buy a Blizzard 810 for this job.... :D Silly cynical old me... :D

This is where the V's really excel.
  8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

looks like in your case with the drifts, the v plow probably keeps your truck more true when steering whereas a staight would push you to the side.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, there and areas that are too skinny for an 8' plow angled, but the snow needs to be pushed straight ahead, ie drive thrus.

Today I used my 8' Boss straight blade to scrape some parking lots that had 2-3" of slush on them from the last storm.

I didn't want to go home and put the "V" on the truck since I already had the straight blade on the other truck.

I'll NEVER do that again. You don't know what you're missing until you try going back to a straight blade.
  10. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i will humor you derek, i think 2 blizzards would be best for that drive. a huge custom front mount so you would have a 20ft v blade. remember GO WIDE GET A BLIZZARD. :) :dizzy:
    with pictures like that it makes me want to move were there is more snow and to get out of this terrible Michigan economy.
    from the picture you got down to pavement pretty good on the first pass, thats impressive. :)
  11. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

Yeah, I'm in Afton. We should have gotten hammered the other night too, but it warmed up and turned to rain. At least it is piling up in the high country. We had six plowable events in December with four since Christmas. Looks like your just getting MUCH more per event. I know a couple of guys that go up there from here to plow. Long drive with a blade on the truck! Watching the radar, I've noticed we've generally caught the edge of the storms, while the main fronts seem to be going right over you.
  12. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Deep snow - the V is the only way to go. Great Pixs.
  13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I hear ya.. I went out to push some slush the other day also. I thought, hey I haven't driven the truck with the 8.6 straight blade I'll use it. Boy am I spoiled by the V plow. Your right LwnmwrMan22 if you haven't used a V plow you are missing out. I'm thinking about selling it and getting another Boss V for that truck too
  14. derekbroerse

:jester: LOL :jester:

Maybe if you flap the two centre wings back and forth it will throw the snow over the banks like a shoveller? :D
  15. Runner

Runner Senior Member

It has long been said...once you go to a V, you never turn back.You just have to push with one to really know difference. Myself, I run straight blades, but pushed with one for a few years.
  16. derekbroerse

All blades have their pro's and con's. Note this is the SIMPLIFIED version! There are still backblades, c-plows, etc. too! :dizzy: I don't feel like typing a novel today.

Straight blades are cheaper, more durable, simpler to maintain and repair. Excellent choice for a beginner with less investment.

V-Plows punch thru the tough stuff easier and move fair quantities of snow with excellent accuracy...

Blizzards move large quantities of snow to specific locations easily, yet can still be versitile enough to do most smaller jobs...

Pushers move HUGE amounts of snow and are tough but are only as powerful as the machine attached to it and are clumsy...

My personal feeling is that the V-plow is probably still the best compromise of them all... :D
  17. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Using the right tool for the job.

The advantage in a blizzard really isnt to move lotsa snow in the scoop position. Its big advantage is that it windrows more snow.

I also disagree that pushers are clumsy. Even on a loader they are pretty darn manuverable plus they can work up and down rows of parked cars much more effectivly witch is were they really kick but compared to a conventional type blade. I have seen both conventional type blades and pusher boxes on loaders in action and each have thier place though. Skid steers with boxes can work pretty darn good but they too have thier place and it isnt in huge lots trying to move snow from one location to another like with a loader. We are trying another pusher idea this year though that may make a loader look like a snowbear compared to a 810;) :cool:

All boils down to the right tool for the job and for you a V blade is definatly the ticket.
  18. ECS

ECS Senior Member

The reason for this post was to let plowers know that a V does have it's place and can be benificial. That is why I posted the pictures, to let those trying to decide, make a better decision of what their particulr neds are.

mmwb, did you see where the mountains here got 6 " in 8 days? We had lots of rain and recently have been hammered with the white stuff. I still have 2 more drives to do and one to widen big time.