1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V or Scoop?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hosenfeffer, Aug 31, 2016.

1. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

Snoway 29R or Fisher V on 3/4 ton truck. Replacing 10 plus year old Blizzard Speed Wing. Have liked the wings for the plowing I do for the most part. Very local Fisher dealer has the V plows and is convenient though focus seems to be more on heavy equipment and larger commercial accounts. My favorite garage and his excellent techs are 45 minutes away. He is pushing the Snoway 29R. Service has always been excellent.
    My most annoying lot has limited snow stacking areas, various mini parking spots, a couple tight corners and one large section with a snow pile over a 100 yards slightly uphill and 30 feet wide. Retail lot so not usually deep snow since 3 inch trigger. Attached should be an almost to scale drawing. Throw in a couple 200 yard driveways a simple small lot and a few smaller paved back dragging spots makes the down pressure on the Snoway sounds good.
    One man shop here so reliability and time are factors. I keep my hours limited One other note usually have a tailgate sander just for this parking lot on the truck so length becomes an issue with the extended cab for all my crap.

plowing 001.jpg

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

If it were me I'd get the scoop. Snoway makes a good product (as does Fisher) as long as you can get dealer support when you need it. But if I was going with a "R" series from Snoway it would be the "Revolution HD". Depending on what your front GVWR is. It's a personal decision, but I believe the HD model is obviously heavier duty, and built better.

3. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

That lot dont look that bad. I dont know much about the Snoway but I would go scoop. How did you like the speedwing?

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

To get the best of both worlds I'd go with a V with a set of wings.

5. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

I recommend the V. I really like mine.

6. JustJeff

For that lot you're going to have to be carrying snow to other locations for stacking. A scoop plow will carry snow around corners better than a V.

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

A V with wings carry's snow around corners like the one shown very well, maybe not as well as a expandable plow. The lot in the pic is his only PITA property, the rest appear to be straight forward. So why buy a plow specifically for that lot?
    It appears the OP is from New Hampshire and they do get some deep heavy snows, this is where a V excels.

8. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I second this. I have a Western MVP with wings. Works great in moving the snow exactly where you want it. Wings also help with stacking because they help break up the piles too. I usually just tske the wings off for real wet snow because the snow rolls off the plow better eith the wings off.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Which 2 worlds? Saturn and Uranus?

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Bufftopia and Valhalla.....

11. JustJeff

As I stated earlier, it's a personal decision. I have a V and love it as it fits my needs perfectly. I can't imagine a 9'-6" V with wings where I live, as the city streets are just too narrow to try and maneuver a plow of that size. I know Pat has one, but I don't know how much he does in the city with it. Again, a personal thing. And as you stated it probably won't carry snow around corners as well as a scoop plow. I think about the only place a scoop plow doesn't measure up to a V is in busting drifts as you mentioned, but I can't remember the last time that I "needed" my V to bust through any drifts that a straight blade couldn't do. I don't let snow accumulate enough for that to be a factor. But again, that's just me. To each their own. Just get the right tool for the job as you see it.

12. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

For past few years I have thought about switching to XLS until last season. One storm last season showed how useful my V plow is. We got 30"+ in 24 hours. Was impossible to keep up with it and without the V I would of had to beat the crap out of my truck to open the accounts up. Driveways that weren't serviced until the end of the storm were still able to be opened up. So if I ever do get an XLS I will be keeping my V plow.

13. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

The speedwing has been pretty good with only minor repairs. Switches mainly for @ 10 years. It is time for at least one new piston and another cutting edge though.
    The Winter carbide edges for the wing are a must and have been fantastic. Wish all edges were like them.
    The lack of extra hoses etc on the speedwing is what I liked. More complicated more problems is my suspicion but will see with the next plow.
    Thanks to all for your opinions, information Marty