1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V on 1/2ton?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Mark13, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Iv been looking to get a plow for my truck and I was wondering if a 7.5ft V would be to much to put on a chevy k1500? They truck has heavy duty suspension (auto teacher said he has never seen suspension this heavy duty on a halfton, and it rides like a lumber wagon) I would deff. add timbrens and crank the bars. I wouldnt keep the V on this truck for a long time, maybe one winter, two at the most because id like to upgrade to a k2500 that could handle the weight. Id rather not spend $1000-2000 for a used straight blade and have it for a year or two to turn around and sell it and hope to have enough money to buy a V. Also what brand of V would you recommend? We have a boss dealer close and a western and fisher dealer like 30 min away so dealers arnt a big issue to worry about.

2. btr1286

btr1286 Junior Member

In my opinion it depends on what kind of jobs you are planning on doing. I'd say if you are doing modtly residentials then a straight blade would be better but if you plan on doing larger comercial lots then the vee might come in handy. I too have a k1500 and I have a western 7'6" and it does what i need it to but i do only a few residentials.

Brian

3. jeremy067390

jeremy067390 Junior Member

i dont think that the v plows really weigh anymore than a straight blade. i do know 7.5 are lighter than most 8ft and bigger beacause they aren't heavy duty. id wonder if that 7.5 v is built heavy duty like an 8.5 9.5 or like a typical 7.5 straight light duty. ask the dealer. i have to get into small drives so one plow truck is typically short bed i have a 7.5 western with a thicker heavy blade, i added a spring and a shock like the 8 foots and some air bags in my front springs. maybe you coould get 2500 springs?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As far as a Western or a Boss V, the 7.5 (Western) or the 7.6 (Boss) are every bit as heavy duty as any of their other sized V's so that wouldn't really be an issue as far as strength goes. Mark, the first thing you should check is the FAWR on your truck. If it has the 3925 lb axle rating (it should) then I wouldn't hesitate to run a 7.6 Boss V on it. I say Boss because their 7.6 V is actually a little lighter in weight than a 7.6 Western or Fisher.Now if you go to your local Boss dealer and tell them you want a 7.6 V installed on your truck, their going to tell you no, since your truck is an extended cab. But they will install one on a reg cab.The only difference is because Boss take's into consideration that theirs a chance that their could be 5 full size people in the truck which with a V hanging off the front would put the truck over on the front axle weight rating. One other thing I think you should consider is the fact that you may be transferring this plow onto a bigger truck someday.Will a 7.6 be big enough for a larger truck in your situation? Just something to think about.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I am not sure if you are talking about Zimmerman welding or not for the Boss dealer.

Although they get parts pretty quick they carry almost nothing in stock. Everytime I need anything. Even something like a hose or control pad repair kit they have to order it.

The control pad repair kit I just got took them 9 Days to get.

Go to Adams in McHenry on 120 and look at what they have. Blizzard, Western, Meyer?(I think) and they carry most parts needed in stock.

I have a western on my GMC and never had a problem walking in and getting a part for it.
    With Zimmerman welding I have had to wait a minumum of 3 days to get anything.

If you are looking for a 2500 I am looking to sell my GMC K2500 if you are interested PM me for a phone number.

6. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

What is your 2500 GMC, I may be looking as well. And I would also question whether a 7.5V is big enough for when you switch to a heavier truck. I would probably go with a good used straight blade for the 1/2ton, then when you get to a 3/4 buy a 8.5 V. By that time you may have enough accounts you could keep the 1/2t as a backup, or put someone in that truck as well.

7. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

I would NOT put a V on a 1/2 ton truck. Our 1/2 tons barely handle the straight blades let alone a V....Im not saying that by beefing the front end up it wouldnt handle the weight of the V, but thats the least of your worries. The frame cracking (has happened on a few of our 1/2 tons) ball joints, tie rods, the cv shafts...

I have a 05 3/4 ton with a 8-2 V and its at the dealership right now becasue my steering components were all messed up(thank god they covered it under warranty still)...The mechanic blamed it on the weight of the plow not being counter weighted with stuff in the bed of the truck.

All in all, I think you will be much better off with a light straight blade.

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya i was talking about zimmerman welding, i go past there a lot and i kinda assumed they had very little to none in stock and would have to order 98% of stuff.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Try a search. I've had an 8'2" Boss on a 1500 since '96. No more or less problems than the 2500 with the same plow or the 3500 with the 9'2". All Dodges.

Go for it, although I'd get the bigger plow right away.

11. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

youll be fine with a boss V, it weighs no more than a western straight blade, plus when the blade is the V while traveling your putting even less on the truck. Their is a guy on here, Mark Omkes i think is his name, and he is running an 8.2 boss v blade on a 1/2 ton dodge.

12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldnt do it. JMO You would be stressing everything even more than a straight blade. I will say my 2001 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab really had some power and handled my 7'6" Boss straight really well. As for a V-Plow, I wouldnt have done it to the poor truck! Good luck with whatever you do! :salute:

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

How will you be stressing it more? If you drive down the road in the V position, you are taking approximately 300#'s off the front axle because the plow is closer to the truck. The straight plow is angled or straight it is further in front, compounding the weight on the front axle. Throw in the bounce factor and it will be even less stress on the front end because it's closer to the truck.

14. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I just wouldnt have done it. My 2001 Dodge I had probably would have carried it, but I just didnt want to stress it more than I needed too. :waving:

15. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

For all you guys trying to tell him that a 7.5 V is to heavy do a little research !!!!!!!!!

Boss 7.6sd....................719 pounds
    Boss 7.5powerV............780 pounds
    Western 7.6pro.............782 pounds
    Western 8pro................800 pounds
    Western 7.6proplus.......889 pounds

He is at the same weight or lighter than what most of you guys are telling him to put on.....Mark if you cant find anyone to put that plow on you truck let me know. Ive put all my own plows on the trucks ive had...

16. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

You got served :p ha ha ha xysport

17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

It is a 88. Owned by a college before me. They used it for a part runner and used it very little. 49k miles on it when I bought it a few years ago. It has a Western 7 1/2 ProPlow on it. I think the mileage now is around 60k. Nice basic work truck.

Since I got my Dodge 3 years ago I really have not drove it to much. It sits in the garage waiting to be a back-up but I have yet to had to use it and I would like the room back in my garage.

Unfortunately my son isn't interested in plowing snow otherwise it would be his.

PM me for more info if you want. It is a clean truck and I will try to get some pics of it on here.

18. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Thought Fisher put out 7.5 v's, or maybe it was the X blade they do in 7.5, 8.5, 9.5

19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks, I couldnt get the boss site to work so I went by the western site but I know all Vs weight differs between the brands.

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's why I recommened the Boss rather than a Western or a Fisher.The Boss V's are lighter and every little bit of weight reduction will help your 1/2 ton live longer. :)