1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"V is for Victory" article in Turf Magazine

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEUSWEDE, Jan 28, 2005.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

To settle the whole to V plow or Not to V plow question, check out the Article in the January 2005 Nothern Edition of Turf Magazine. It talks to all the major companies about what they offer and give insight on who should buy a V plow/ multi-function plow. Even talks about Blizzard plows and poly v ploys. Pretty much it is about likes and what you will do with it. In conclusion they say that if you have a larger fleet of trucks have a v plow to break up and then come in with straight blade. But if your solo get a straight blade or Blizzard. But it is what work for each person. I bring this up because I am in the market for a plow and have been doing research and figured other people would want to know about this. If you don't get northern edition or don't get turf at all let me know and I will find a place to scan it and post it on here.
  2. Pete7

Pete7 Member

I would be interested in seeing that article. I am going to need a new plow at the end of the season I was pretty intent on getting a V plow (I have a few residential accounts and am interested in doing commercial lots) but then I read about the c-plow from hiniker and the backdrag sounds awesome.
  3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd like to see that article too, just for kicks. So, how about a plow that had extended wings like a Blizzard, but also pivoted in the middle like a V and folded over like a C plow for back dragging. That would be sweet, not to mention impossible. Imagine the hydraulics on that plow.
  4. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

for the plowing that I do a v-plow would be useless

I can however see it coming in handy for driveways I guess
  5. DuallyVette

DuallyVette Member

Yea.. I guess being able to scoop up some snow and putting it exactly where you want it is kind of stupid. :confused: :confused: :confused:
  6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

plow a 5 acre parking lot and tell me how usefull scooping up a blade full of snow would be
  7. selser420

selser420 Member

Plow a 10 acre lot where all the snow has to go to one end and you'll see why the V is so great!!
  8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

If you have never plowed anything other than driveways , i can see where you would not understand the advantage of a V plow or the Blizzard plows.
  9. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I plow with 10 guys, no one has a v-plow, can someone explain how it would come in handy when your pushing snow to one side because honestly I do not understand how its any better? I only plow 2 driveways and I was thinking for a 100-200' driveway the v-plow would be better

im being serious not trying to start an arguement.
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I plowed with only strait blades for years, gave the guys a hard time for spending that kind of money for a v plow, whats so good about them I would say!!
    then i used one(a boss V) and i never went back. yes my strait blade does back drag better, but thats the only thing it does better, I plow lots like Denney's, country kitchen, gas stations and would have to say the V plow is faster, you just have ti use one and you will be a V pusher too...

Once you go V you won't go back!!!
  11. DuallyVette

DuallyVette Member

If you only plow two driveways, then a V plow probably wont make any difference. I live in Charlotte NC (in the south) We go for years with no snow. I bought an 8 foot straight plow in 1986. I just heard about a V plow but I cheaped out. There weren't many moments while plowing that I didn't wish that I had the option of scooping the snow where I wanted it to go.
  12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:dizzy: O.K I had to read it over a couple of times..
    There are 10 guys, he only plows 2 drives, soooooo, Yes, if i only aspired to only plow 2 drives I would have bout a strait blade.... If you have money restraints I can under stand getting a good cheep strait blade also...
    o.k o.k.thay only have 20 drives to plow then? why so Manny plow jockes?
  13. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I only plow 2 driveways, the rest is commercial lots, thats why there are 10 of us plowing, the driveways I do on my own whenever I get around to them and are not part of my commercial route. So as far as me "aspiring" goes after 30 hours plowing commercial lots after a large storm I dont look to rip up driveways,grass, landscaping lights and belgium blocks at $40 a driveway.

As far as money restraints go, I paid $3600 and installed it myself for a western straight, how much more is a vblade and how much heavier are they?
  14. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Im still new with the plowing world..... But I do have a question. If its a V why would it be harder to do driveways? I understand its longer, but if you put it in V mode, wouldnt it be shorter?

Also, how good do they backdrag?

Im going to be buying a plow nextyear, Im not sure If I want a blizzard 810 or a Vee.
  15. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I find that I rarely use my V plow for scooping snow and moving a major chunk of the lot in a V. Its mostly clean up were a containment plow kicks serious but. Everyonce inawhile I have a few places were I need to scoop out a chunk of snow but its mostly clean up. Grabing trail offs or missed blobs of snow, getting were a car parked, tucking lightpoles in, ect. For the most part when I am plowing 95% of the time my plow is pretty much straight and when I am cleaning up 95% of the time its scooped.

After you use a containment type plow you will kick yourself if you have to use a straight.

Prowings help quite a bit with clean up though.

I do mostly moderate sized commercial. Malls, industrial, hotels, ect
  16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

LINY ROB, Sorry for the slam....
    Now we know the rest of the story!!!
    I would think the V plow would be an asset when working in any size lot.( I know some big lots a pusher box is the way to go.)
    as it cleans up faster , you know, your cleaning up with a strait blade and it start to trail off on both sides, not with the V plow in scoop mode, ok it will to when it gets full but it holds allot more snow.
    The V plows can stack snow much higher & easer.
    The in verted V is great for opening any drive or busting drifts in a lot.
    gas mileage, better aerodynamics when travailing.
    A v plow is heaver so it can scrap off the hard pack snow better too
    and you can do every thing a strait blade does, except back dragging it seams to take a couple more passes to get the same results as a strait blade.
  17. Ground Master

Ground Master Junior Member

It seems that 99.9% of these articles just explain the pro's and con's of each plow and/or whatever equipment the article is about.

These articles don't want to bash any particular type of equipment relating to a specific manufacturer because that would harm the magazines chances of obtaining advertising.
  18. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

Even when you just blade everything to one side, It is still useful to have a v-plow. Most of the time after angling all the way to one side I'll bring the snow side foward a foot or two. It throws the snow farther and it will clean a wider path then having it angled all the way. One other thing that bugs me is the adds for blizzard that say "does your v-plow feel like a wee plow" The thing is most of the time when I scoop I don't have it completely Vee'd foward. If you only V it partially you will clear a much larger swath and carry a lot more snow.
  19. selser420

selser420 Member

Good point about the aerodynamics....I hear a lot of guys talking about running hot and having to adjust the blade for cooling. With the V, I can run on the freeway at 70-80mph with no major rise in the temp. I could never do that with straight unless it was really low...and that makes me nervous. I had to push for a few hours in one of our older straight blade trucks earlier this year...felt weird. I was in a big theatre lot so it didn't really matter. The straight blade winrows a bit nicer than the V since it doesn't have the hinge in the middle, but when it came time to clean up around intersections and islands I was missing my V blade!! I wouldn't knock a guy for going with a straight blade...especially given the price difference, but I don't think I could ever go back. The boss just got one on his new truck....his first season without a straight blade....and after a few pushes he said he doesn't know how he did it without the V. Only three more trucks until the straight blades are phased out of our fleet of 10!!!

BTW....we need some more snow!!!
  20. TLC Ken

TLC Ken Member

I hear the newer western pros have optional back drag edges you can bolt on under the regular cutting edge. Just saw them in a catalog, ours are not pro's and I don't think they'd fit. Back dragging is nice, there is always some part of most lots that needs a spot or two.

Wings or scoops are a must if you push snow into piles. The differences between a straight and a "containment" plow (I like that term Rat) are just ridiculous in a big lot.

They're building a 1000 spot lot at a Wal_Mart Supercenter near here next year. To prep for that I bought a blizzard last fall to keep in our big lots. It really moves it. And it really winrows well too.

But I still think the thing I want most in a plow is maneveruability. Give me these old K-5 pickups anytime.

I read that article too. Wasn't too impressed. Turf and the other one I get Pro do not exactly have hard hitting journalism. I wish there was one that gave true reviews on products, reviews that says something is crap when it is.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2005