1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V in straight positon, can i tip it facedown?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by timberjack, Feb 10, 2011.

1. timberjack

timberjack Member

Got a welding repair to do on the underside of my plow.

If i plug the breather vent on the pump, put the blade in the straight position, and unmount it. Can i tip my plow over onto it's face without damaging the lights, or it wanting to spring back to "V"? FWIW I've got the smartlock cylinders.

I can do the overhead weld, but not nearly as good as when i can use gravity to my advantage. Also not too keen to be laying under the blade, even though i'll be blocking it.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The plow will be fine I'd be more worried about wanting to move left or right. Can you try having the plow on the truck an have it up it straight. Maybe put a jack stand under it and a floor jack under the mount to give you some extra height.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Plug the vent, straighten the wings out and flip it forward. No big deal.

4. timberjack

timberjack Member

Awesome, thanks B&B. Thought it should work, but wanted to be relatively certain the lights wouldn't smash into the ground as it goes over.

RBRONKEMA: that was plan b, on the truck up in the air, in scoop, with blocking under the wing ends. Plenty of room to work, but as i said, i can do overhead welds, they just aren't near as good as i know i can do by attacking it from above.

I had asked at the local boss dealer, about tipping it over to do the repair. He said they tried it once before but broke the light housings. I'm now thinking they tried it in the "V" position.

The weld where the outer skin attaches to the back "panel" behind the cutting edge, is where it cracked on mine. Noticed one of my cutting edge bolts was missing the other day, and found the crack. It's the weld closest to the center pin. I expect it was a heavy object, can't see anything else out of place on the plow, but i'm going to give it a very close inspection. At least i found it before i tried back blading something. Imagine it might have peeled away a bit.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Let us know how it goes.

6. timberjack

timberjack Member

Worked great.

Took the plastic shield off, replaced the breather with a plug, and dismounted the plow, with the wings straight. Had to use a jack to lift the frame up a bit so i could back the truck away.

[​IMG]

It tipped over easy enough, no real abrupt moves, but i was holding on to soothe any hard landings.

[​IMG]

Looks like the crack had pulled away a bit towards the center pin, but i didn't have anything to try to press it back together before welding. So i just built it up a bit on the widest gap, before joining, and overlapping. Also looks like a bit of bending of the front skin just below the hinge, and above the cutting edge on the front too. Nothing too bad, but under close inspection, i can spot a slight variance. Nothing i'm worrying about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It survived a 10 minute session, cleaning up some areas i didn't plow the last time round in my yard. Real test will be in the next storm, but i'll keep a close eye on it.