1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"V" cutting edge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ratherbfishin, Feb 16, 2014.

1. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Broke a nice chunk off the corner of the edge last storm:dizzy: It was getting close to needing a replacement anyways!

So my question...being my first "V" are there any suggestions on edges as far as after market, tips,etc. or should I just return to a stock edge?

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Go with oem. Cheap and quality don't go together.

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've got 5/8" on my EXV. The inside edges are still 1/2" though. I would love to run poly edges on this plow. I'm gonna look into it come summer. You could try some additional carbide edges, but I would put them on the outside and inside of the blade.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

What "V" is it. I would just go with an OEM one. If its a Fisher just make sure its 1/2" instead of the pathetic 3/8". We also have Myer curb guards put on at the same time, they bolt right up and save the cutting edge a ton and protect the plow sides. I just had one done and everything was 566.00 for everything.

5. babs2972

babs2972 Junior Member

In the past I have gone with hot rolled steel cut to my spec's and I have drilled my own holes. this season I decided to try a hardox 400 cutting edge. The hot rolled was 1/2"thick and 8" tall the hardox is 1/2" thick and 6" tall. The hardox was 4x the price and I am getting the same wear out of it. My suggestion is get the hot rolled from a steel company and drill your holes. I paid $105 for a 10 foot section of the hot rolled.

6. The Fisher OEM edge for an 8.5 XV2 is $400 1/2 inch thick not 3/8.

7. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

The original edge for a 8.5 xv2 is a 3/8, you only get the 1/2 if you get the 9.5 It didn't last long since I already replaced it with a nice 5/8 one that hopefully will last longer.

8. Yeah, I think you misunderstood me. Yes the original edge was 3/8 but I bought a replacement edge from Fisher that is 1/2 inch. The 3/8" gave a hell of a scrape but it didn't last half the season.....

9. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

ah ok yeah same here, I almost went with the 1/2 inch this time around but it was only a few more dollars for the 5/8 so I went with that.

10. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

unhcp
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motorman 007 View Post
    The Fisher OEM edge for an 8.5 XV2 is $400 1/2 inch thick not 3/8.

The original edge for a 8.5 xv2 is a 3/8, you only get the 1/2 if you get the 9.5 It didn't last long since I already replaced it with a nice 5/8 one that hopefully will last longer.

Where did you guys get your 5/8" edges ?

11. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

I ended up with the OEM 5/8" edge from the local Fisher dealer...$450.00+/- installed. I had them install it cause I do not have a torch. Seems like every time I install, there are a bolt or two that just won't give...