1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by go plow, Jan 27, 2007.

1. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i have this problem with my v-box,
    it seems that when ever i have a full load and start spreading it, it makes a hollow tunnel and i have to get out and move the sand around to get it to fall on the belt or chain. i know this will happen if the sand is wet.
    ive tried to get it from another supplier and the sand that i buy is as dry as you can get it in the winter time.
    what i have tried to do is raise the truck body and let it back down, and that does nothing.
    its weird because i take the tarp off the truck and it looks like i have a full load but once i move the sand around its more like a half load... im not lazy im not complaining about getting out of the truck, but it sucks knowing that you have sand, and in the middle of sanding the spinner stops spreading sand.... its happened at night before were i thought that i spread sand in a lot, but when i went back in the am, half the lot had sand on it!!
    i use a small shovel when i need to move alot of sand around, but i have to take the top screen off, if i dont need to take the screen off, i use a broom handle to push the sand down, but it takes forever because i can only push down the thickness of the broom handle, when im done the sand in the v-box looks like swiss cheese .lol
  2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

We used to take a piece of rebar & knock everything down to the bottom of our Buyers. Now that I am using a Meyers tailgate spreader, I have the vibrator to knock it down. I would think that vibrators could be mounted on the side of a v-box & would help in moving wet sand just like they do on a tailgate spreader. I would think that the vibrations from the motor & the chain would do the trick, but when the mix was really wet we would always have to get out & do some work.
  3. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

It happens, shouldent happen every time but it will happen occasionally.

We carry regular digging shovels on all trucks and our screens fold up so the operator can push the sand down either by jumping in, and doing it with his feet, or pushing thru the screen with the handle of the shovel..shouldent take much to make it all collapse.

Its also less of a problem if the salt/sand is loaded just before you are going to spread it... if it sits in there for a while it compacts itself and the bridging will occur.
  4. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

Does your V box have an inverted V?? I have 2 v boxes and both have inverted V's in them and never had a problem, but I only run straight salt. Just my experiences.
  5. go plow

go plow Senior Member

no it doesnt have anything in it. its a downeaster, i just have a top screen.
  6. BBailey

BBailey Junior Member
    from Vermont

I carry an old wooden shovel handle with me that I use to poke at the material when the sander "tunnels" the load. It works great and fits down between the screen. A few pokes and it is usually is back on its way. With my new Ice O Way sander it very rarely happens because the feed chain is wider than my last sander. Hope this helps!:waving:
  7. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

You might want to think about a vibrator for your v-box to solve your bridging problem. I haven't added one yet, and don't have any problems with mine, but I'm spreading straight salt, too. Depending upon the size of your v box, you may want to add two, one on each side. I think when you add two, they are smaller units and don't stress your spreader out as much as one large unit. Check into Karrier, I think there detailed on here; if not you can find them with Google.