1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by M&M SnowRemoval, Jan 25, 2005.

1. M&M SnowRemoval

M&M SnowRemoval Junior Member
    from NJ

interested in getting a V-Box spraeder but not sure what to get. I want a snowex 8000 cause its much lighter and provides better visibility than a large steel box. I have heard they clog easy. I have a tailgate snowex and never had a single clog. Anyones opinion is greatly appreciated

2. Brother1

Brother1 Member

Hey M&M - we have an 8000 that we bought last year. The first storm we used it the controller crapped out and had to install a toggle switch to keep it running for the storm. The manufacturer did send us a completely new control box so that was a plus. We used it last year and didn't have any problems - BUT - we only used dry salt. Our supplier kept it inside and the material was always covered as soon as he filled the Vbox. Now this year we started stocking our own material and it's outside with a tarp on it. Let me put it this way - I now have a Snow-Ex 8000 for sale. From the first use it has been a problem this season. It definately can't handle any wet or clumped material. Twice (you'd think I'd have learned my lesson after the first time) we had to shovel out all the material to get to the auger and unclog it. So if you are seriously thinking of getting one make sure you only use dry material - no matter what the manufacturer tells you. It is very easy to install and easy to take out of the truck with 2 guys but it's definately not a vbox spreader. It's just a big tailgate spreader. As far as price it might save you a few hundred bucks to start but you'll pay for it in the end. The last thing you need is a bunch of angry customers with icy lots and you're spending your day shoveling out a yard of wet salt. Just my two cents - I'm sure some guys love it but I'm sticking with the tried and true equipment from now on. Gas powered V-boxes have been around alot longer and we all know they work. Some better than others but they work. Hope this helps you out.

3. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

Yeah, I bought mine because it looked like it would be easy to load and last alot longer being plastic and all. But thats pretty much where the greatness ends. I have been using straight Magic in it since i've purchased it. It has yet to jam on me exept when the Magic froze solid last week in the Artic temps. :angry: That Sucked!! My fault though.

The issues i have are:
    1. That it spreads pretty heavy to the drivers lane.
    2. You have to run the vibes all the time or the wet Magic will not feed down the bed.
    3. The fricken bungee straps are attaced tho the tarp and when i go to recover the thing they catch the screen. :angry:

Thats mostly the problems i have with mine.

I did buy 1000lbs of dry salt yesterday and ran some through about 4:00 AM this morning. The thing flowed great.

I only have one contract to do with two nice size hill to maintain so it works for me.

I think over the summer i am gonna work on the spinner setup and try to make it adjustable!!

Do a search for Salt Dogg Spreaders. I think i would have bought one of them if i would have seen it first.

Good luck with what ever you chose.

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I have 2 metal gas powered V boxs a 3 year old western and a 12 year old that I dont know who makes it, I can weld them , beat on them , rebend them , buy 90% of the parts over the counter, spread wet salt, dry salt ,wet sand and dry sand . Why not go with whats been proven? All you have to do is wash them good and I oil them down .