1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v box ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by leigh, Sep 26, 2013.

1. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Thinking about buying a 1- 1 1/2 yd poly v box spreader. I followed all the threads over the years on spreaders and have a? Do the chain type (fisher type) drop salt underneath the spreader like my old fisher ss gas procaster? I know the auger type are "self contained". I want to put it in a pick-up and don't want excessive salt in the bed.(it's my baby) What are my options?
    thanks

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

For the price and reliability I liked the Snow Dogg, electric.

It is simple to use, maintain. Flip a switch it runs. Normal clogs are easy to fix. Stupid clogs are just as painful as any other spreader. The unit is also quiet.

If your going to salt with a big box you will need suspension in the back - timberens.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

We run snowex. Limited salt in the bed from the big units. Most issues are from the guys loading. If there is any open spots,,,salt will get out.

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Thanks. No worries about loading I load my own , only myself to blame. Just didn't want piles of salt falling off drag chain and piling up under unit. This setup will be to take the pressure off of me to salt all accounts with my 4500.I end up following others around and salting when I should be doing more plowing.

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

It's a pain to follow others around just to salt when you are more efficient plowing. Not to mention the salters weight makes you slower in every aspect. We had flipped a dedicate truck to salting and put two shovelers in it. Then I only carried a small salter for light work or touch ups.

Huge benefit in time and stress by doing this. wesport