1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Box vs. Undertailgate -- economics

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Dojo, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Dojo

Dojo Junior Member
    from pa

We currently have two under tailgate spreaders running on trucks with full central hydraulics. I love the spreaders and have had no problems except for possibly the spinner height issue-- probably would try a replacement gate spreader. My problem is that the new truck does not have central hydraulics currently. Without any experience with the V-box spreaders , I am not sure if I should save half the cost and try the V-box or spend the extra $5000 for central. Reason I say half the cost is because central hydraulics probably $4800 plus new tailgate salter $3000. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

4800.00 would be high for my area. I was quoted from two places when I was searching for central hydraulics on a F-450. 1st quote was 5K and the second was 2500.00 maybe if you look around a little more you can find a better deal?:rolleyes:

Good luck:drinkup:

3. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Well, I have never used the central hydraulic tailgate salter system. It does seem very convenient and maintenance friendly though, but I guess you pay for that. I run all vboxes and have had much success with them. They are a lot of maintenance, at least they should be. Those who don't do the maintenance get bit in the butt once every so often. I bought one two years ago from Angelos Supply (an airflo) for about $2200. I haven't had any issues yet, just the maintenance, after every storm. Greasing, lubing, cleaning, checking wire connections, etc.

It seems like a lot to pay for the central hyrdros, and not really sure its worth it. But, I have never owned a truck with that setup.

4. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

on my truck ,the same pump runs the dump.plow and the v-box.All plow makes have been set up to be used with centrel hydros so the cost is less on the plow unit as there is no electric controls for plow only the lights.We have westernunimounts,ultramounts and meyer minute mount and classic mounts all with centrel hydro setups from factory.My point being that instead of 3 pumps and motors ,with centrel hydros ,you have only one pump.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005