1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-box tiedowns

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

When I bought my V-box spreader last year, it came with tie-down straps at each corner from the spreader to the corner of the truck. Throughout the winter, they stretched and a couple came loose before I caught them. Then, this spring they were stiff and the mechanism was hard to work to get them loose. This year, I’m thinking of using a chain binder between two short lengths of chain, each going to a corner of the V-box and to the truck. My thoughts are that the chain won’t stretch and that the chain binder mechanism will still work even if slightly corroded after the winter.

I’ve learned to get feedback BEFORE putting my ideas into action since I sometimes overlook what should be obvious.

Any problems you can see with this?
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Many spreaders used to use the chain binders. I like the straps better. I even use straps to hold down equipment on the trailers. They are lighter, cleaner, and safer IMO. Only on heavy equipment do I use chains.

Part of weekly maintenance in the winter is to lubricate spreader linkages and along with this I spray a little on the strap rachets. Seems to keep them working well. Before, during and after a storm all straps are check when inspecting the whole truck. Anything loose is tightened right up.

A side note. Most manufacturers instruct you to also bolt the spreader down. I know of very few people who actually do this though.
  3. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, fireman. I was thinking of bolting the spreader to the wood flatbed, too. They left the oak 2x4's that are used for transporting it to the dealer. I guess some dealers take those off, but it just makes sense to me to leave them on to provide more stability.

Do you use WD40? I know there are products out there specifically for coating the box, chain etc but is there any advantage to these over simple motor oil or WD40?
  4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Mick it sounds like the tie down straps that you got with your spreader were "nylon". They "do" stretch after getting wet, what you need to do is find tie down ratchet straps that the webbing is a poly material. They stretch very little and don't absorb salt and chemicals. Keeper makes a nice 2"x 7' ratchet strap rated at 5000lbs with locking flat hooks on each end. (part #04105) You should be able to find them in most truck and trailer supply stores.
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Hey John.

Shoot me a PM with your address so I can send in my payment. I have not heard from you in a while.
  6. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, Garagekeeper
  7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

This won't help you Mick, but others who drop in might benefit.

When I had my Torwell and my dump, I bolted a channel to the rear crossmember of the sander and then welded pins on the ends the same size as my tailgate pins. I just latched the pins in the tailgate latch.

I also welded 2 D rings to the front corners of the floor for tie downs and used the straps you mention. I prefer them over chains. Mine used to get sticky too, but I keep a can of WD-40 in my emergency kit to keep them free. It also works great to dry the spark plug and wire when the spray has gotten under the engine cover.

One other tip: I got a piece of 36" conveyor belt and hung it from the channel I bolted on the full width of the truck. This kept the junk from sandblasting my hitch plate and kicking under the truck. I mounted a set of truck tail lights to the channel and wired them to fit my trailer plug. The only thing I worried about was that I had covered my license plate, but no one ever bothered me on it.
  8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

We too have a sheet of 3/8" rubber (not conveyor belt) that we cover the hitch plate with on our trucks. We have to remove the pintle hooks, as the salter chute would hit them. We also have aux. tail lights mounted on the spreaders that we plug into the trailer plug. We need to move the license plates this year, as salt from the past few years, and drivers backing into the pintle ring on trailers have destroyed the plates.

We have D rings welded to the sides of the body instead of the floor up front (makes shoveling out the bed corners easier). We also leave the oak 3" x 3"'s on the salters for stability. We use chain and chain binders to hold the salters in. They never come loose though we do check them before the trucks roll.