1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Box suggestions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mike33, Mar 3, 2013.

1. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I service 29 commercial accounts and looking to go to bulk next year. I have a 2011 f-350 single wheel with 6'.5 bed. Ive currently been using tailgates spraders Boos at the time and happy with it. Im tired of getting out cutting bags, etc. I dont have to salt all of them plus have 2 subs working for me that have tailgate spreaders so i would still purchase some pallets of bags for them. I heard boss was coming out with one for next year and there is also a snow-x dealer close by. I have a30x40 garage i was going to build a side on for storage so that is no proble. I have a landscape business with 2 bobcats plus mini-x , it and ond bobcat stays home all winter so loading would be no problem either. Any suggestions appreciated.
  2. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

I have a snowex 8500 and love it. Havent had any major problems with it. Had to adjust my baffle the first year cause the salt was very fine and would bridge or clog up. This year had to lower the baffle as I got much dryer stuff. Snowex you will pay a premium for!
  3. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I really dont mind paying for quality mainly wanted to hear about snow-x. I currently run Boss paid the price and no issues. Do you think the snow -x is as good as they come? Any pro's or con's on them comparing to others? Thanks
  4. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

We have a Snow Ex 9500 and I am not sure that I would go that route again. Check my posts and see the issues we have had. If Boss came out with a big V-box (4yd) I would seriously consider it based on the performance of the other Boss products I have used and or owned. Sounds like you could be in the market for the new 2 yd one that will be at all dealers this year.
  5. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

lovin my elec salt dogg 2000..just sayin
  6. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Down Easter, Smith, and the western tornado are some quality sanders, electric dual drive is what you're looking for. I am aware that boss now makes some spreaders, but I typically wont buy anything that hasn't been out for a few years.
  7. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I have run tarco downeaster with no problems .i currently run a 2 yd and 3.3 yd fisher and they work great
  8. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

We have two ss Downeasters. The second is hydraulic. The hydraulic is nice because the gas motors are small and inexpensive. Every three years or so the motors need so much repair from salt damage that it's easier to throw the old one out and buy a new one for $300-$600 (depending on whether you go with cheap Chinese or Honda).
  9. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

Go with the new boss my local dealer has one and has it running its very impressive this dealer is also a snowex dealer and he says there's no comparison
  10. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

That hits home. Ive own 3 boss v-plows, 1 straight on skid loader and 2 tailgate spreaders. Never a problem. Only thing i theink the new boss is 8' and i have a 6.5 bed.
  11. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Whatever you go with, get electric. It's the only way to go. Our Swenson Polyhawk's are low maintenance work horses.
  12. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Is the westen and fisher the same one? They sure look alike except colors. Anyone know anything on these looks pretty good and they make a 7' that would fit in my bed pretty good.
  13. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

They r the same
  14. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I got a price today from a western dealer for the 7' came in at 4,700.00 installed. I think it will be the one i choose.
  15. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Install it yourself. Very easy to do with any electric salter and save the $$ for your pocket.