1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-box Stainless vs poly, auger vs conveyer

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Cmbrsum, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

I am so sick of a temperamental gas motor. For V-box so far I am reading a few things here and there. I am not looking for input on tailgate salter. I want electric.
    How is the power consumption?
    How do the stock controller hold up? or should I just plan on a Karrier.
    I want 2 yard or more if possible. do they make poly that big. (I may settle for 1.8 for the right deal)
    What advantages of poly to Stainless besides it contain all the salt?
    What advantages of stainless to poly?
    Do they make poly conveyor?
    What advantages of Conveyor over auger?
    Auger over Conveyor?
    With bulk salt that may be sticky at times, what needs a vibrator and what doesn't.
    What brand should I look at and what should I stay away from?
    Anyone got a deal on a used system close enough to Utah for it to be worth it for me?

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Salt Dogg makes a 2 yd poly that is a great unit. I think it is a SHPE2000

3. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

The other question would be how are they for storing salt in them for as long as a couple of weeks at a time out doors covered?

4. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Asking for trouble if your looking to store salt in a spreader.

5. J Nobel

J Nobel Junior Member

we run stainless 8 foot v bottoms and we have found that the cheapest and best fix for Tecumseh and Briggs and Stratton motors are throw them away and buy a Kowisaki

6. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

The tornado 1.8 holds 2 yards without a problem. Storing salt in it for 2 days let alone 2 weeks is a very very bad idea, youll be melting it out after you blow a $20 fuse. but the cover that acts as a spill gaurd works really well and not having to fill up or start a gas motor is very nice.

7. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

It may be better to hear from someone in a dryer climate (like I assume you are in) regarding storing the salt in the spreader. I am sure that it may be trouble (definately for those back East) but you may be able to get away with it longer if you are in a dry climate. If you are in the Salt Lake area you may have higher humidity than the ski towns. It's too bad you can't get answers to your other questions. I am interested to hear the replies myself.

8. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

We do have a very dry climate here and my salt is stored dry.
    I have already bought and gotten my new salter. A Snowdogg SHPE2000. It looks small but defiantly hold more then my old 1.8yd. Very simple setup. Double wall, 2 drive motors and 1 vibrator. It can throw some salt. I run spinner at 75% for 25ft throw and the auger at 25% for mild speeds in parking lots. I mounted it on a flat bed so I mounted 4x6's around it to keep it in place. I don't trust just the straps they say will work. I also plan on building a guard to mount to the back of the truck. I thing that I'v heard bad about this salter is the controller. Same type of junk as the others Buyers controllers now. I will upgrade to a Karrier as soon as I need to. I looked local and found that this salter sold for about $5000 to $6500. and most places needed to ship it from the factory. 3 weeks away. I bought it from http://www.angelos-supplies.com/ for $3500 shipped and it took 4 days to get to Utah from Michigan. Now I just need it to start snowing again so I can really put it threw the test.

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Don't care where you are. Storing salt in A v box spreader of any kind for more than 1-2 days out side, it will jam and clump doesn't matter what spreader your running. The problem is the design of the v box. Gravity pulls the material down, and the shape of the hopper makes it compact on itself. Dry salt works better, but storage outside for more than 24 hours with out at least running it for a few mins, is going to give you trouble