1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V - Box spreaders - Looking for recommendations!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by RonWin, Dec 9, 2014.

1. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

I have a f350 /w 8' box and am looking for a vbox spreader that would not jeopardize my line of sight and not add considerable length. I have around 15-20 clients and only a couple lots roughly 5,000 sf. As far as the box itself I do not know, what I do not know. Ive never had a spreader before but hear electric is the way to go? Stainless as well? I am turned off to the poly casters as it seems that all line of sight out of the back window is lost. I have a lot of tight spots I have to be in and out with the drives that I have. Is there a compact vbox spreader that allows for my needs?

There is a western/fisher dealer that is closest to me but if these spreaders don't usually run into a lot of problems then a close proximity dealer might not be necessary?

any recommendations would be great, looking to avoid push spreading all my drives
  2. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Snowex's frames rust pretty quick, I would go saltdogg, boss, or western poly vbox
  4. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 Senior Member

Saltdogg shpe1500
  5. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

That's a good unit, we had one since 2004 and just sold it last year and is still running. It didn't work well for us anymore loading with a 1 yard bucket that's 7' wide. The others are taller and block your back window.
  6. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

Sp 3000 is 4300+tax from local dealer and salt Dogg is 3300k with shipping and no tax online. Seems no reason to go snow ex
  7. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

3000*k flat
  8. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

9. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

check out the hiniker electric auger spreaders. Just bought three of them. use to have gas chain driven highway models.
  10. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

That snow ex 3000 is the absolute worst spreader ive ever owned!!!!!!!!
  11. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

Go with the salt dogg, we have 3 and love them.
  12. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Electric with drag chains not a augur...

Swenson little more money but worth it..

We love our Boss vbx as well.. own 2 of those.
  13. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

He would have zero sight through the back window with that unit. It's what I have, and I have to rely on my side mirrors for everything.
  14. bayfish

bayfish Junior Member

You also plow with a 2wd dually. I have an 08 F350 flatbed with a 8.6 Boss. Plows great with weight in the back.
  15. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I think most vboxes will block a good portion if they have any decent capacity. If it were me I would be more concerned with getting the best spreader for my needs, and if visibility was a big factor I would buy a cheap back up camera and monitor.
  16. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

A 3/4 yard box would be about the biggest you'd get away with to not totally block vision.
  17. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Is there really a v box that doesn't block your rear view to some degree. Check out Downeaster, they make several smaller to 2.5 yard electric v boxes. But it will all depend on how much salting you do, no sense in getting a tiny 3/4 or 1.5 yard spreader if you need to put down twice that much after a storm unless you don't mind filling up 2-3 times. Ive had absolutely zero issues with my Downeaster electric poly 2 yard and i bet it's got close to probably 400 tons through it. Last I talked to Downeaster he said they are discontinuing their poly model for some reason, maybe you could find one for cheaper.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  18. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Yes you're right They discontinued it last year. They are a great company just a few miles up the road from me.
  19. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Its too bad they discontinued it, wonder why with more "popular" brands going to poly. I liked the lids! Im sure there are a few dealers out there that still have some. Im looking into the 2.5 yard with built in pre treat if the price is right.
  20. Golden Boy

Golden Boy Junior Member
    from Ohio

Why does it need to be a v-box. Get a large tailgate spreader and that would take care of the visibility issue. Snowex s sp-1875 would run bulk if that's the allure of a v-box