1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V Box spreaders for central hydraulics

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by OldSchoolPSD, Jul 18, 2013.

1. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

I have an F-450 that is set up for central hydraulics and I would like to get a 3-4yard v box spreader for it. I can't find much info out there and I'm wondering what is available.

I would prefer to use the hydraulic setup rather than electric, but i definately dont want a gas motor.

Also, has anyone ever taken one of the old gas powered spreaders and converted them to hydraulic? I see the old gas units with burnt up motors going for 4-500 bucks.

2. fendt716

fendt716 Member
    from nw nj

we have used 10 highway equipment spreaders over the years gas , except the 4yd one live hyds. run forever. have 1 tacco spreader that is live hdys. that came with a 550 that we brought in 2005 that spreader is just piece of crap. the last spreaders we brought are under tailgates with center spread setups. if your 450 is a dump go with tailgate spreader way hander. go all stainless including floor and get all stainless steel hdy. couplers come on and off every time by hand no fuss or mess. they cost about 125.00 per set

3. OldSchoolPSD

I have a hydraulic tailgate spreader, trying to go to a V Box.

You couldn't give me a gas spreader.

4. OldSchoolPSD

Craiglist for the win! I found a stainless 3yard swenson spreader for $1500 setup for central hydraulics.

5. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

can I ask y you went from under tailgate to v box? ive got a dump with hydros and im lookin for aspreader but don't think its worth losing some bed space with the vbox. thanks

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are going to dump the entire load in 1 or 2 sites then under tailgate might be alright, I would look for replacement tailgate spreaders instead. If you have many sites to do then a V box is a much better choice. Material is always there and the spinner is at a constant height.

You will spend a lot of time putting the box up and down. Turning with the box up and loader can destroy the box. I used an under tailgate for 1 season and never again.

7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Have to disagree to some extent.

With smaller sites, generally all you have to do is raise the bed and get the salt to the back. Then there is 200# + loaded there ready to use. I can do three smaller sites without having to lift the bed.

Even on a 4 acre lot we do, I just raise and load the back of the bed and spreader and just let er rip without having the dump bed up constantly.

I also want to add that our under-tailgate is 3"-4" lower than the bed of the truck and I let the gate open as wide as it can without putting pressure on the gate of the spreader. This, I believe, lets another 100-150# of material to stay on top of the auger.

8. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I'll second that. Had 1 and sold it next season. Salt stuck to the inside of the box allot of the time. You will also get chunks of salt that can block and jamb the auger. I never had a chunk stop the auger but was a pia to pick at it when it would block the discharge hole or freeze around the auger. Also you will need to clean out the trough at the end of each salting as that will harden up or you will forget you still have salt in it and it hardens all around the auger.

Most v boxes have screens on top, to stop the problem with chunks. Yes you can get salt to freeze inside of the Vbox but never had that happen. I do my best to keep the pile covered and not take from the very bottom of pile. Bottom stuff is for walkways where the pile is kept.

9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

They all have their place, and WG has some excellent points.

The other plusses:
    Still have full use of my dump box all winter long.
    Lower center of gravity.
    More capacity in the same truck. Not only does the spreader weigh less, the box is rectangular vs triangular.

10. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

True, and that is the best quality right there. Being able to use the bed in the winter really helps.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going to agree with CET also. Vbox's are also easier to apply a constant rate. Just turn the spreader on at a set rate and drive until empty.

12. OldSchoolPSD

My reason is completely unrelated to the function of the spreader. I'm a fabricator, I have no need for a dump box so I took it off in favor of a flatbed.

13. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

damn guys thank you for all the responses, I guess ill look for whatever spreader I can get easier, I don't use truck in winter except snow so bed use not important tome. loading vbox into truck not issue have skid steer for that and place to store spreader in summer. on a vbox how far can u throw salt, had a buddy tell me he ran a undertailgate on a dump and could hit the docks of bldg even with semi trailers hooked to dock 53' trailers. also will the weight of the utg be enough to get around town, now I use a scoop of salt and that is plenty.
    thanks, u guys are the greatest

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  14. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

found a 4 yrd spreader 900 but don't know the weight of spreader, don't want to loose to much payload weight. truck is 3500 hd 15000gvw. should I keep looking or look more at this unit.

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

1400-1500lbs mine are and they are 4.4 yards. I used to have one of them on the same truck as you and we filled it. You said you only use 1 bucket so you should be good and that is cheap at $900

16. fendt716

fendt716 Member
    from nw nj

Here a tip for utg users. On 2-3 yd. body put a 2x12 across back in front of gate and 3 feet up each side inceases salt at gate alot. On 3-4 yd. body with high tailgate option add 2x8 same way. You have as much salt against gate as a 6 yd. body. You can spread 3-4 fastfood places before dumping body again.

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

With doing this are there any problems getting the box to drop back down with gravity boxes?

18. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

cet I only used 1 bucket for weight in the bed. I think you are thinking I only dump 1 scoop, not the case we go through 2- 2 yd loads each snow but this year im looking at more sub work(larger lots, more salt use) and don't want to just beat the piss outta my 3/4 ton truck.

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

With a 4 yard spreader in the 450 you will be overweight but easier on the truck then a smaller spreader in the 250.