1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V-Box Spreaders and Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CMD, Jan 24, 2012.

1. CMD

CMD Member
    from Maine

We have used our three buyers stainless v-box spreaders for salt sand over the last four years with no problems and have found them to be solid units for spreading salt sand .

This year we have added clients that require salt only to our list ...... the standard v-boxes spread too much product , you cannot vary the drag chain speed verses the spinner on the standard buyers units .

Anybody with experience changing the drive gears to slow the material feed down on a buyers ???

Will be in the market for a new v-box sander next winter for salt only .... any reccormendations for a make and manufacturer ? ......... any dealers in Maine ?
  2. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

Umm.....close down the feed gate opening to let out less material...........
  3. CMD

CMD Member
    from Maine

We have closed the gates ....... finding that salt requires more control to be handled cost effective ....... Have seen some sanders advertised that have separate controls for chain feed and spinner speed ..... but have not been able to view anything local .
  4. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

Drive faster
  5. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Spread by Hand.....:rolleyes:
  6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

You can change gearing on any spreader. My buddie just dialed his down by doing this.

As for your new one, go with the AirFlo. Since I got my first one last year, I probably use half of the salt in that truck by being able to regulate the conveyor and spinner individually. There are so many times we can dial down the conveyor and turn the spinner up to really throw it.......when only a light layer is needed. On larger, cleaned lots, I can literally make a 2.8yd hopper go 12+ ac no problem.
  7. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

We are VERY happy with our Hiniker gas powered spreaders. This year they came out with electric units that have separate spinner and conveyor controls. Don't know if you have a dealer in your area but because of Hiniker's Ag lines, they actually build all their own electronics as well. IMO you should not expect to see the controller problems that other brands are having.
  8. CMD

CMD Member
    from Maine

Has anyone heard of Henderson Chief ? ....... an associate has one that is 10-15 years old still doing great service , said it was capable of spreading fertilizer , he can control it that accurately .

In talking iwth my local dealer they are reccomending a fisher poly unit with electric motors ...... I am not that sold on poly construction , old fashion I guess , want something I can repair with a welder when we break it !! ........ key word here is "when"
  9. rubbertrack

rubbertrack Junior Member

Close your feed gate should go down to about 1/4", at least it does on my V-Box its a Byers 96" SS.
  10. mws399LAWN

mws399LAWN Member

Add a peace of rubber to the gate door to close it more, I did this to mine and it helps, but isn't perfect
  11. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

air flow dual electric can adjust every thing up and down separately best spreader i ever used besides hydraulic. you don't have to stop for gas it docnt flood, you don't have a dead battery, you don't have to change oil. just push a button plus you can get a 1.9 yrd air flow dual electric stainless steel for around 4,200 picked up i got mine for 3800 out the door
  12. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

love our poly electric salt dogg. the auger does a really nice job keeping consistent material flow. it also breaks up clumps.