1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

v-box spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by truck1500, Dec 22, 2002.

1. truck1500

truck1500 Member

i was wondering if it would be possable to put a v-box spreader in the bed of a 1500 2wd what brand would be the best to go with.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Your 1500 MIGHT handle a lightweight 1.5 or 2 yard V-box. BUT not the weight of the material you put in it!!! I think the lightest box out there will weight about 400 pounds. I think a yard of salt is around 2300 pounds (I can't locate my sheet which shows material weights right now). A stretch would be to put a tailgate salter on the 1500 and load with bags which are 80 pounds. You can load 5 or 6 bags in the truck bed, then load your salter as needed. Even then, that's a load on that 1/2 ton.

Not meaning to be cruel, but you really need to get the right equipment for the job. A 4x4 3/4 or one ton to plow with. A one ton to put a V Box on.
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've seen it done, but I wouldn't own that set up! You'll definately be overloaded, if your lucky the axle will hold up. As far as brand, I guess whichever is lightest would be best. Be safe! Get a 1 ton for this job.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

You might as well just drive around with a red flag waving for the DOT.They would spot it in a second around here and pull it off the road.You would be pretty overloaded with a v-box as both recommended above.

A small tailgate salter would work,like a buyers,as they aren't as heavy,like Mick suggested.Much more suited to a half-ton.
  5. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I saw an F150 with a 6' v box in it the other day. it was small had maybe a yard in it and a hefty set of overload springs on it. I don't know if I'd push a half ton that far.

Plow salter and 2 yards of material and my 3/4 tonHD weighs in around 11500-12,000.

I've heard of people putting salters in lighter trucks with the use of air bags on the axel also. The load is going to take it's toll on the rear axel in a hurry and an overweight ticket is not goint to be cheap.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I got a six foot in my Toyota 4x4. Holds about a yard and takes the weight fine. As for the axle the Toyota uses the same bearing and axle shaft size as a Ford nine inch add this to the full floating conversion and the rear is pretty tough for a "mini or half ton" truck. These same mods are done to trucks that run 38" and up tires behind V8s in custom trail rigs.

Most of the time the truck runs with a small load but I have loaded a yard on (yes overweight) and it pulls and handles fine. Heck when I fully load the sander on my F350 I am overweight there. My concern would be more on the idea that you are running a 2wd which often is a "soft" half ton suspension. I do not see what your goal is. Unless you have a traction device in the rear you will still likely not get good traction.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

truck1500, I just went back and read all your threads. You've been on several forums asking about plowing and sanding with this truck. You've gotten the same advise several times. You can keep ignoring them and keep asking different places and different ways, but the advise is still going to remain the same. PineIsland offered to even meet with you (apparently he's fairly close to you). We've been down this road before with people who keep insisting on using equipment not suited for the task. It boils down to this - You have a 2wd truck that you want to plow with. OK, go with the Snowbear or Solotec like Nate suggested, but why ruin a one year old truck? It will not adequately handle a Vbox - Maybe a tailgate model like a Buyers and use bagged salt. Other advise was to beef up the rear springs, but you'd still wind up damaging the rear axle. Also, with a 2wd, you'd still have the (lack of) traction issue.

Good Luck and keep us advised on how it's going. You'll soon be able to give good firsthand advise to the next person.
  8. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

truck1500, let me give you some insight from first hand experience.
    when i first started at this business, i started with a shovel, then graduated to a snowthrower, i used my fathers 91 gmc sierra 2wd to move the snow thrower around. i had to put a lot of weight in it and put chains on to get it around in heavy snow. i then wanted to put a plow on it, so i talked to all the plow dealers i could and they all told me the same thing," YOUR GOING TO GET STUCK". i refused to listen. i made a list of all the " heavy duty " parts i was going to put on the truck, front springs, special tires, etc... (they didnt even make a plow mount that fit the 2wd frame so i was going to modify a brand new plow frame to fit it). after realizing it was going to be a lot of money (around $4500) and a lot of time, and maybe all the people saying the same thing were right, i gave up on the idea, and found a used 84 k-20 with plow for $1400. ugly as sin, but a real workhorse. my advice to you is to find a good used truck w/plow and start off with that. the 2wd 1/2 ton is not going to cut it. trust me
  9. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

I think DownEaster makes a small SS electric sander that is somewhere in the 600# range, but as everyone else here and I assume other forums has said to you, give up on this idea of a 1/2 ton, 2 wheel drive truck for plowing and get something that will do what you want it to do. I would find a used 1 ton, 4x4, automatic ... it doesn't have to be pretty, just mechanically sound.
    Hell, you might even find one with and older plow already on it ... then you can get you sander and go to town.
    I saw a 1985 F-350 4x4 auto w/mason dump ... 7 1/2 meyers and an AirFlow sander in great shape for about $6500 just last week by me ... was thinking of getting it as a second truck. Just look around, nice trucks that are just what you are looking for are out there ... you just need to find them.